Reply To: Give enough information to make decisions

Participant

Instead it does seem as it is you who choose to thin that your desire of random and acceptance that the game will “force” most users to save/reload “all the time” as people don’t like their decisions to arbitrary be punished by the game – as something desirable. I have an open mind and have no problem with your desire to play the game. I do have trouble with the narrowminded approach you have that embracing random is the way to go for everyone.

I don’t really care how you play the game. If you wish to save-load in order to get whatever recruits you desire, then so be it, but going against the flow and then calling me narrow minded for reminding you that it’s here by design and you’re playing it wrong (and even asking to change a core feature because of that) is foolish. Here is a direct quote from the developer on the matter:

When lecturing someone, it’s important that you are right. Are you? I question that. I didn’t call you narrowminded because you reminded me on something (I am not sure you CAN remind me of what you think – not sure it is true). In the quote above, I even EXPLAIN why I call you narrowminded when telling me that I shouldn’t ask for more control when recruiting :) If you find that word provoking (english is not may native language) then perhaps we should call it: “not keeping an open mind”?
Lets recap:
a) I point out that there is a huge random factor in the usefulness in team members when recruiting as we get little or no information on the characterstics of the characters we recruit. We know what background they have, but we don’t get any information (unless I am mistaken – perhaps what he is asking in pay is a hint or the text? But I haven’t spotted a pattern.) whether he is big, tall, fat or any other characteristics that intuitively should be spotted. Besides this being unrealistic (not something I care that much about) it’s also gives the effect that it’s impossible to make a good decision. It’s a gamble.
b) I point out that in my experience this leads to users using save/load and make playing ironman much less enjoyable as you get stuck with team members you don’t want due to the random recruitment effect.
c) You point out that here is a charm in the random and that one may use ones skill to adapt ones way of playing depending on who to recruit – or to use them as cannon fodder or whatever.
d) I point out that I have nothing against a random feature for those who want to gamble, but I find it important (assuming the game is about making decisions) that management of the crew is more about informed decision and less of a gamble. Now if you want to make an informed decision to gamble.. that is your choice ;) Forcing those that want to make informed decisions instead of gambling to save/reload isn’t really a good practice imo.
e) You seem to not understand the philosophy about making informed decisions and question that I should ask for this to be part of the game when it comes to recruiting.
f) I (perhaps unnecessary) point out that that is a narrowminded approach.

The fact that you eliminated money as a concern when hiring characters is an achievement, but it doesn’t mean you should be able to do the same with quality of characters available, ever. Not that the recruiting system can’t be improved upon, but there is a reason it is like this. If we wanted you to always have the best recruiting options available, we’d do so. But we don’t. We want you to pick up less-than-ideal candidates and mold them into mercenaries, and we want you to keep an eye out for fitting recruits as you roam the lands, not to lay siege to a town until the right recruit strolls along.

And here comes a puzzlin part. The quote you supply from devs seem to NOT be an answer to my suggestion or informed decisions whatsoever. It kind of strengthens the perception that you seem to not grasp the concept.
The thread from where you quote a dev is about a user wanting to control what mercenaries that turn up in towns. If you read back in my response to you, I list this as part of the “random” that is part of the game and that I don’t question. The appareance of recruits in different towns isn’t a result of my decision – it is a world mechanic. I try to make the decision who to recruit amongst those available and would like enough information to make a decision instead of just gambling. That can mean picking up less than perfect mercenaries and mold them. Or not. I didn’t ask for the removal of negative traits. I asked for a choice to not hire mercenaries with those traits or hire them because they are cheaper or whatever or I don’t care about them because I need them etc. That is called management based on as much information as possible.

So perhaps read back? Either you seem to misunderstand the whole purpose of my suggestion, or perhaps you didn’t read the thread you try to use as argument against it. Either way, feel free to argue as long as you bother to understand first and question later?