Topic: Ability to choose the path of movement in battle

• Author
    Participant

If the active character is on a tile adjacent to a comrade, and wants to get to a tile on the other side of said comrade, and the path of movement could go through the comrade (without entering into melee with an enemy) or past the comrade (but entering into melee with an enemy before reaching the desired tile), the default path of movement selected sometimes goes into melee with the enemy, so that the desired tile can’t be reached without risking a free attack. If there was no adjacent comrade, you could just move the active character one tile at a time to take the desired path. If one path has a higher fatigue and/or AP cost, the less costly path is always chosen by default. If there’s no difference in cost, one or the other path is chosen for you arbitrarily. Would it be possible to change it so that there’s a way to choose the exact path, or so that a path that doesn’t enter into melee with an enemy before the desire tile is always chosen by default (even if it has a higher cost of movement)?

Attachments:
    Participant

Here’s a practical in-battle screenshot of what I’m getting at.

Keymaster

Made some changes.

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

As of the current publicly available build, there are two cases when you can’t move through allied units:

1. When you are trying to move through two or more of your own units in a row (not sure if it can currently path through one, one hex space and then another of your own units), and you have enough action points to move through all of them;

2. When there is one or more allied units in the best path (allied but not on your merc team). You can’t move through allied units at all.

As well as the changes you’ve already made, could you make sure that it is possible to move through two or more of your own units and one or more of allied units, as long as you have enough AP and the route doesn’t trigger attacks of opportunity?

Also, can you make sure that the AI doesn’t consider your team (apart from not landing on your square) when making decisions on where to move and attack?

I noticed in the current publicly available version that sometimes enemies can move on the same hex as another enemy, but I can’t show you because there is no way to save in battle.

Participant

I noticed in the current publicly available version that sometimes enemies can move on the same hex as another enemy, but I can’t show you because there is no way to save in battle.

This rare but sad little bug i see more often on 2 necromancers and it exist 3 or 4 patches

Participant

This bug happened for me recently in a bandit battle with an AI ally, so it happens in a few different circumstances. I guess there is a bug that considers an occupied hex to appear empty for the AI, or else the destination for multiple enemies happen at once and it doesn’t fully check that it is not moving to an occupied destination. Hopefully it can be fixed before full release, as it does take a little polish off what is an excellent and sturdy turn-based battle system.

Participant

The ability to move through any number of friendlies or allies (as long as you have enough movement to get to a clear tile past them, so you would be able to pass a maximum of 3 friendlies/allies if you could make each hex with 2 AP) is very necessary. In big battles with lots of allies you often have to take the long way around, and frequently you can’t move at all because allies are in the way. Also, being unable to move through more than one of your own mercs can be deadly on maps where there aren’t many paths to move, such as forest maps. The AI already has the ability to move through more than one of its own troops, so all that is needed is the ability for the player to be able to move through any number of their own troops/allies and for allies to be able to move through the player’s troops.

Also are you going to make sure the AI allies don’t take your mercs into account when making decisions?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.