Topic: Allow some chance of recovering destroyed armor

• Author
    Participant

Against many different opponents (especially goblins and undead), the rewards of defeating them in combat are scant. Often you don’t even recoup the cost of repairing your own gear and healing your men! Sometimes even with a paying contract! What about a chance for armor destroyed in combat to be available to repair for yourself, like 25 or 50%?

Participant

Hello !

I don’t know how you manage your battles, but what i can say is : You are wrong sir. :)
    You just have to carefully pick up your first few battles. (where you are low on money) then, money wont be a problem at all.

I’m at day 110 and i have around 40k gold, all my mens are well equiped. with a huge ammount of tools & ammunations.

Oh, btw, on which difficulty do you play ?

Participant

The key is to know which enemies you can fight early and which enemies you should avoid.
    What i do is make a 6/6 party. 6 ranged bros and 6 melee bros.

With this setup you can easily farm bandits, thugs and raiders. You farm thugs mostly to get lower grade weapons (with my setup you shouldnt be losing anything on thugs) and you will raiders in order to get medium to high grade weapons AND farm 110 armors and those -5 fatigue nasal helmets (they also drop 90 and 95 armors which you can put on archers).

What you dont fight before youre higher level are the undead (with exception of those… weidergangers? Zombies with strange German name, they are easy) and you definitely avoid goblins. I hate goblins so i avoid them pretty much always, but there are people who have specialized tactics for them i suppose.

Also fighting orcs may depend on your setup. If you have mostly melees, i would avoid fighting orcs until youre higher level (they will slaughter you), but if you have ranged brothers (specially if you have like 6 of them) you can attack even medium sized groups containing berserkers (which you can pick off 1 by 1 as they wear no armor usually). Its just when you run into orc warriors that problems start (they may require high level or very careful planning, those bastards are tough).

Participant

Really off topic but:

…weidergangers? Zombies with strange German name, they are easy…

Wiederganger literally means someone who “walks again”. So yeah, it’s a cool and less generic way of saying “zombie”. I quite like it.

Participant

Upon first glance i figured “nah, if you get your armor broken you are the one at fault”… Just discussed this topic with a friend and now I think that this is a good idea!

I guess it’s a question of balance between game and realism. Is it realistic that a guy can take 5 chops of a sword and an arrow and keep fighting? No, but dying to a single blow wouldn’t make a very fun game. However I do think that it is realistic that if the armor takes the same beating as the person in it, it should still be able to repair. As it is in the game now, it’s 100% repaired later unless it takes that FINAL blow and then it’s destroyed forever. The armor would not be crushed to tiny pieces. The metal chunks and the rings in the mail would still survive.

I propose something like this… 10 or 20% chance that the battered up (0% armor left) armor will survive and be added to your inventory as a “broken” armor. So let’s say “broken scale mail” or whatever. And since it is so broken that it requires a skilled worker, your mercenaries can’t repair it themselves with their simple tools, you have to go to an armorer in the city who will repair it for you, for 1000 or 2000 gold or something. This makes it a little easier to cope with the loss of one of your best brothers and possibly ALL of his equipment at once.

The chance for broken equipment of slain enemies could be slightly lower, 5-10% maybe, and have the same fee at armorer of course. This would give more incentive to fighting heavily armored enemies, because as it is now, you usually end up destroying the armor of enemies before you kill them, unless you chop their head with a sword or axe weapon (by sheer luck).

Let me know what you think.

EDIT: Maybe the repair cost should be a a value based on the worth of the item, to make it more fair regardless of how far you progressed in the game… 30% for even 50% for challenging and 70 or 80% for the deadly difficulty.

Participant

There has to be some sort of provision for this. I’ve had several battles where a brother will come out with a 0% armor value. It seems to be a factor of the type of armor, and protection value.

In a single player game, there's no such thing as cheating. It's merely "creative manipulation of the default settings"!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.