Topic: Bucklers and nimble perk

• Author
    Participant

I like that bucklers are in the game, and that they are available to low-level bandit thugs, but I have to say I never use them myself (except perhaps for the very first battle of a new company, when the local market doesn’t have enough round shields).

One possible niche they could fill could be as an allowed off-hand item of equipment for battle brothers with the Nimble perk. Such a change would keep my guys in “The Artful Dodgers” happy while they patiently wait for new unique/legendary Saxes to make an appearance ;-)

Inactive

This definitely fits thematically but I don’t know how well it’d work balance wise. A “free” +10 melee defense would turn into +20 and this would mean nimble characters could apply their stats elsewhere and be even more powerful, further reducing the advantage to going non-nimble. But at the same time you’d lose the +25% damage and the ability to tank any enemy with an axe as even the measly hatchet could destroy your buckler in 2 chops which would increase the need for a shield based tank character for enemy axemen. This idea would be neat to playtest. As it is right now I only use bucklers for my early game and as part of my melee equipment for some of my crossbowmen. But then historically, the arming sword and buckler were a side arm combination of archers anyhow so in that regard the current system also fits thematically.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.