Topic: Chance to hit

• Author
    Participant

Aright. I really need to get this off my chest.

I can understand missing. Really I can. 60%? Sure can happen. 50% a gamble. 40%, about 4 chances on 10 you will hit..
    But what grinds my gears is when my god damn mercenary has 90% of chance to hit and misses, twice, the next one in line, 80% and misses…because heck, the bandit leader is almost dead and he didn’t kill that almost dead merc in front of him, WHY not give him a chance.
    Bang, the bandit leader gets to his turn, he gets to kill my soldier, and then the next guy in line kills him.

Looks awfully like cheating to me. And it’s not happening once or twice, it happens in most of the combat situations. 90% of high % attacks missing once or twice, while the enemies pound on me without a problem, even though i have 30+ against melee.

It’s sorta infuriating. Is this some kind of a mechanism to make the game harder? It sure seems so.
    I just missed a zombie with two of my mercz that had 88% to hit him. Four attacks, none connected. What…the actual…frap.

Participant
    Participant
    Participant

his is a great article. Only it does not explain the fact that the real (not the one that shows, but a real chance) expose the difficulty 1 and of 3 – is a completely different chances to hit, as well as the fact that in most cases, if the blow can kill the enemy in a dangerous situation, it will leave him 1 XP. Bias? If.

Participant

his is a great article. Only it does not explain the fact that the real (not the one that shows, but a real chance) expose the difficulty 1 and of 3 – is a completely different chances to hit, as well as the fact that in most cases, if the blow can kill the enemy in a dangerous situation, it will leave him 1 XP. Bias? If.

Exactly my thought :P

Participant

Tovarish, if i understand you correctly, i havent observed any difference between 80% hit chance on EVEN and on CHALLENGING.

You may be correct, but it could also be another example of confirmation bias.

There is literally the same thing in a game called World of Tanks, where numerous (im talking hundreds) of people believe that there is a secret mechanic that makes tanks on very low HP bounce shells in order for them to survive longer and do more damage. While its possible that there is indeed some secret mechanic in game, it is faaaaaaaaaar more likely that people simply pay more attention to times when they were shooting at an enemy with 4% hp and bounced them because thats how human brain works, its selective, it doesnt do well with statistics and long strains of numbers.

Participant

Tovarish, Honestly, I do not care deep in conspiracy theories as well as on the theory that they are not :) I have long are changed to look at this problem from another angle. If rnd battle mechanics in our game is such disputes and along with negative emotions (even if in the opinion of others undeserved) may be better this rnd mechanics ( even though it had been 100 times “honest”) to change?

Participant

Tovarish, Honestly, I do not care deep in conspiracy theories as well as on the theory that they are not :) I have long are changed to look at this problem from another angle. If rnd battle mechanics in our game is such disputes and along with negative emotions (even if in the opinion of others undeserved) may be better this rnd mechanics ( even though it had been 100 times “honest”) to change?

I agree with your logic that if something creates strong emotions its probably not the best design, however, in this particular case the problem is the fact that i dont know what you could replace RNG with. If you remove to hit % it would be either “yes” or “no” (what would that even be based on?).

Participant

So, i think that the confirmation bias is really a problema here. One sentence i like to use to summ this problem is say: Hey, OK, but what about all those attacks at 30%, or even 18% chance to hit wich actually did hit?

That said, i understand (damn, i REALLY understand) the frustration – especially when it causes a important loss.

I know a game called Hard West wich uses a “luck” mechanic. Every character has a luck amount. Your hit chance usually depletes the enemies luck until it zeroes and then you hit… Sometimes you seem to able to hit without zero the enemy luck, i don’t understand exactly how, but it’s something to think about.

That said, i like the rng element. It’s frustrating at times, but sometimes that is good. Keeps me on my toes during fights. I know i have to pull back someone that was hit even if i think he can resist a whyle, because, after all, you never know…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.