Topic: Considering the War Bow vs. the Heavy Crossbow

• Author
    Participant

Hmm… are you sure about that?

If you had a weapon with 50% ignores armor, that dealt 60 damage, and the opponent had 60 armor – how much damage would you deal?

It would depend on how effective it was against armour, of course. If it was 100% then the armour would be destroyed and the 50% of damage (30) would be fully applied to hit points, since no armour remains.

Hmmm, so even if the armor is destroyed in the hit, it is still only able to use the ignore armor damage?? Gotcha.

Participant

That seems questionable to me based on what we know, I dunno. I’d like to see someone test it.

Participant

I just tested it. It appears that he is right. Although the HP damage is calculated after armor damage, the armor check is indeed before the armor damage. Basically it works like the following:

1. Does victim have armor? If so, use ignore damage for HP damage.
    2. Armor damage calculated
    3. HP damage calculated, use ignore damage if victim had armor during step 1

Participant

So basically, as long as you have at least 1 point of armour, your HP only gets hit by the “ignore” portion of damage and the “normal” damage doesn’t spill over into HP?
    That would make sense, I was always slightly confused about the fringe case of very little armour in relation to HP damage.

Participant

So basically, as long as you have at least 1 point of armour, your HP only gets hit by the “ignore” portion of damage and the “normal” damage doesn’t spill over into HP?
    That would make sense, I was always slightly confused about the fringe case of very little armour in relation to HP damage.

Yes. Which means that 1 armor and a 65 point gambeson would give you the same protection against that greatsword swing. Weird, but that’s how it works.

Participant

Hits with a flail (damage range of 25-55) to the heads of bandits/brigands with bandanas (20 armour) often/typically do this (I got the same exact result twice in succession the other day):

– Brigand’s head armour hit for 20 damage and destroyed
    – Brigand’s head hit for 11 damage

If the raw damage was 25, that would destroy the armour. Then, 30% of 25 is 7.5, and 150% of 7.5 (for critical damage on a hit to the head) is 11.25 …

Damn. You expect more from a menacingly spiked metal ball battering against a bandana.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.