Topic: Early game far too hard.

• Author
    Participant

@Namespace I’m willing to bet it was an option of the cleaver or the quest item. It’s the same design principle behind caravan quests that are carrying gems or offers of more gold for retrieved items from mysterious cloaked figures. Do you take the selfish short term boon, or fulfill the contract to maintain a good settlement relationship. I think you got out better with the cleaver. My thoughts would be different if allied relationships seemed to be worth a damn.

Participant

@namespace I’m willing to bet it was an option of the cleaver or the quest item. It’s the same design principle behind caravan quests that are carrying gems or offers of more gold for retrieved items from mysterious cloaked figures. Do you take the selfish short term boon, or fulfill the contract to maintain a good settlement relationship. I think you got out better with the cleaver. My thoughts would be different if allied relationships seemed to be worth a damn.

I had this event before. You can either go get the quest item and get out without a fight. You can go get the Cleaver too and not fight. And you can take the Cleaver and get a fight. If you win the fight, you get the quest item and the cleaver. If you retreat you only get the cleaver.

Supposedly, if this event doesn’t happen and you get attacked you can retreat and still have obtained the quest item. My question was if that is still happens or if they fixed this.

Inactive

Well, just to update you guys, I finally got my 3rd restart on track. I did it by basically hunting dire wolves and selling furs repeatably until I could find towns who would give me level 1 quests.

I think something needs to be done about the whole lack of quest choice thing…. its not realistic to only have 1 quest to choose from, it should be more like 3 per village.

Participant

And again…Why can only 1 chest at a time be taken? Would make a whole lot of sense to me to take a armed courier mission at the same time as a caravan run to the same settlement. I suppose if quests interact with the army generation system, that could cause loads of problems though…

Participant

Started a new playthrough and I’m not so sure it’s all that bad. Spears are cheap and using spear guys on the edges and reinforced flail guys in the center of the formation makes human enemies pretty easy. Spear wall, and beat the guys that come in the shield zone with a weapon that ignores shield bonuses. Slap fast adaptation on one or two guys and a few stacks turn into a guaranteed headshot. Thugs and most raiders have very poor head armor. Even raiders in small numbers can be trolled to death, and failing that retreat is tedious but viable. Short of a very unfortunate direwolf ambush, things seem pretty reasonable. Granted, a bad encounter with 3+ poachers or even just a marksmen or two could wreck my terribly outfitted group atm.

Inactive

early game enemy marksmen are SUPER dangerous, I always do those fights at night s they can’t see far or hit too well.

Participant

manually running away is so annoying in this game

Participant

Then don’t? You can pick your fights, forfeit a battle just before it starts or auto-run without risking the death of your bros.

Participant

I bought the game yesterday and ended up in this thread after Googling “battle brothers too hard.”

I love the game, the graphics, and gameplay features, but it’s very hard to get into. It’s a cruel game world, where loved characters die more often and randomly than in Game of Thrones. There are not enough contracts in the start, and the enemies scale way too fast. I have zero funds, just enough to hire and feed men. Trading is no good, as prices give next to no profit. If you go exploring, undead and beast attacks completely wreck me. There simply isn’t enough to do, and no apparent way to increase in power, as units just keep on dying and resetting your progress while the day counter just scales up the competition further, and depleting resources. I’ve played Mount & Blade, XCOM and other titles without this kind of…lack of hope. Its not for me I guess.

Keymaster

It’s definitely a hard game. I suggest you seek some help from other players if you struggle too much, or maybe consult a guide. Trading, for example, can be very profitable, especially in the beginning. There’s also lots of videos on youtube that could help you. This thread is from 2017 and doesn’t really reflect the current state of the game.

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Don’t expect all your men to survive. That’s step 1.

"A plethora of peasents"

Participant

I dunno, I think with addition of southern city-states the game became less difficult. I’m not even bothering to go north anymore, all the hustling and the good stuff is in the South: good prices, lots of cheap recruits with no daily pay, Arena (why not add it to the North as well?) etc. Also nomads are little weaker than brigands. And southern caravans actually have normal guards that don’t just stand there naked.

Participant

“The start of the game is now far too hard, even on normal difficulty mode.” hahaha

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.