Topic: interesting camping mechanics

Tagged: 

• Author
    Participant

One low-tech indie game I played in the Long Ago had some very interesting options when camping. More recently, Conquistadors did something like this too: when you set up camp you give each Merc an assignment.

Sleep: +4 [& +1/level] Max Fatigue, or better Fatigue recovery per turn, for next battle
    Doctor: heal other wounded unit(s) (perhaps this would apply only to Medic personnel)
    Patient: wounded characters heal faster
    Guard: lessons chance of camp being attacked
    Scout: reveal hidden locations in area
    Repair: speed up repair of equipment

Would be more challenging actually if mercs on the move didn’t heal or repair at all except when camped or in town. Alternately, no heal or repair when traveling *without* the appropriate skills, ie. Medic, Blacksmith

Other ideas that might not fit with Battle Brothers:
    Forage
    Hunt
    Craft
    Read book

Keymaster

Yeah, I’ve played that game and enjoyed it quite a bit. I also really liked the camping mechanics in The Dark Eye: Startrail (DSA: Sternenschweif) back in the day. Since in Battle Brothers the player has to manage 12+ people we’ll have to see about camping not involving too much repetitive micromanagement, though.

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Expeditions: Conquistador also had many interesting random events that would occure while camping. Animal attacks, ambushes, finding items, treasures, extra rations, relations between characters, etc, basically, you never knew what the night was going to bring.

Participant

In Expeditions: Conquistador it also played the role of being the end of our turn, though. I imagine that camping in this game will be more tense, since you’re standing still while your enemies aren’t necessarily doing the same thing – I doubt that undead need to sleep. You’d probably have to streamline the process more than in Conquistador, to match the pace of the game and the necessity of being able to pick and move as needed.

Inactive

Yeah, I’ve played that game and enjoyed it quite a bit. I also really liked the camping mechanics in The Dark Eye: Startrail (DSA: Sternenschweif) back in the day. Since in Battle Brothers the player has to manage 12+ people we’ll have to see about camping not involving too much repetitive micromanagement, though.

Ha! I immediately thought about Sternenschweif too. That game actually was so tedious to play but I enjoyed every second of it because I was so hyped about playing DSA on a PC. Good times

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.