Topic: merging arrows

• Author
    Participant

So i`m stil kind of new still to the game.

– Can anyone explain if you can merge arrows. Or do you just sell them when you run out? I`ve got multiple 1/2 out of 10 quivers clutting up my inventory.
    – At what point can you take on 2 skull missions. I`m about 3 hours into the game and i stick to the 1 skull missions for now.
    I`m thinking about sticking to one of the major houses for now. If the game does not get to difficult.

Participant

I dont think you can merge arrow stacks, however if you equip 2/10 arrows and have arrow supplies, i think your archer in battle will get 10 arrows but im not 100% sure.

2 skulls missions. Well. This is a tough one. The problem is that as with many other things this depends 99% on context. Namely which build you went with. If you make one build, you can take Orc contract with 3 skulls, but youll struggle with 2 skulls goblins. I dont think there is a particularly good answer to that question in general. The closest i can give you is unless you messed up leveling completely you can surely take 2 skulls missions between level 3-5 provided that you have full 12 people party.

Ofc this also depend on difficulty level as missions scale up in difficultly pretty insanely.

Participant

Danubian,

Thank you for your reply.
    I have only today learned about ammunition and supplies. It seems like i dont have that many 1/2 quivers when i pay attention to my ammunition. Now my soldiers tend to have 10 of them before a battle.

Think i can handle the basics now after about 16 hours of battle brothers. Havent read anyting about strategy yet. Only once faced goblins and undead. Orcs kind of make me scared. I have got no clue how to handle undead, orcs or goblins but i am sure i will find out soon enough by practice. I`ll just make a solid frontline and flank with my archers once the soldiers have faced one another.
    Seems like orcs can take a pretty good beating so i only take them on when i have about 8 soldiers and decent armor.

Participant

Danubian,

Thank you for your reply.
    I have only today learned about ammunition and supplies. It seems like i dont have that many 1/2 quivers when i pay attention to my ammunition. Now my soldiers tend to have 10 of them before a battle.

Think i can handle the basics now after about 16 hours of battle brothers. Havent read anyting about strategy yet. Only once faced goblins and undead. Orcs kind of make me scared. I have got no clue how to handle undead, orcs or goblins but i am sure i will find out soon enough by practice. I`ll just make a solid frontline and flank with my archers once the soldiers have faced one another.
    Seems like orcs can take a pretty good beating so i only take them on when i have about 8 soldiers and decent armor.

Orcs are the toughest basic enemies around. Young orcs can be defeated easily if you make 6 of your people archers (bows or crossbows work) and 6 melees. If you go all melee there is a good change youll lose people. Orcs hit hard and can often 1 shot kill your people. So long duration melee exchange with Orcs is not a good idea, however Orcs also exhaust themselves (specially well armored ones) so couple of rounds into fight they might stop being able to hit you twice / round (but can still cause enormous damage).
    My suggestion is to avoid:
    -Young Orcs until your entire melee crew has shield and at least ~90-110 armors (you can farm those off bandit raiders).
    -Orc Berserkers (depending on number) but at least until you have several highly capable archers (bows or crossbows) to take them out from range. Orc Berskers with 2 handed weapons can massacre poorly equipped brothers.
    -Orc Warriors basically until you have a high level party. You should be able to deal with 1 or 2 Warriors even early-ish on (you will need at least basic items), but even one of those beasts mixed with Young Orcs can do brutal damage. They will push your melees back and reach archers… Attacking 10+ Warriors is level 10+ fully equipped group business.

Goblins. I hate Goblins. Best thing you can do is stack the odds against them. Give everyone a shield with high range defense, and most importantly, attack during the night. Still, even though Goblins are relatively easy (you will often 1 shot kill them even), they are nasty little buggers with a bunch of abilities that make them scary foe to fight. Once you have highly competent archers (like 60-70+ archery) you can try to exchange arrows with them during the day (crossbows have less range than big bows), but i still prefer night and full melee line up.

Undead. Well. It depends on case. But there are couple of rules in general. Undead are mostly immune to arrows and bolts. In most cases youll be able to destroy their armors easily with ranged weapons, but youll deal very, very little HP damage that way. So little that using archers against skeletons is a waste of arrows. (note that iirc killing necromancers from range works just fine)
    -Skeletons, you have small and big ones. Small ones you just go in with your melees and murder, they are straight forward. Try to kill the ones with 2 handed weapons first obviously. Specially those with 2 tiles ranged weapons, they can do nasty stuff. Big skelies are basically fully armored knights, Fallen Heroes i believe. They are armed with top military grade weapons. I would say fighting them takes a high level party with good gear, although, similarly to Orc Warriors if theres just a couple of them, they are no problem.
    -Vampires. Yeah. Avoid those. Specially if you have weak unleveled brothers. They will massacre you. Ranged weapons can kill their armors easily, dunno about HP, but they are hard to hit, they have excellent change to hit you, they teleport around the map, and they are armed with swords (often carry unique swords too). I avoid them until i have a fully leveled (or highly leveled) and fully equipped group.
    -Ghosts or w/e they are called. These things are now difficult, problem is, they do their mind attacks that cause fear (or at least they did last time i fought them several versions ago). If you have high resolve or you pick that skill that makes you immune to these attacks you can handle them easily. They are hard to hit, but they are basically 1 hit kills.

Participant

-Ghosts or w/e they are called. These things are now difficult, problem is, they do their mind attacks that cause fear (or at least they did last time i fought them several versions ago). If you have high resolve or you pick that skill that makes you immune to these attacks you can handle them easily. They are hard to hit, but they are basically 1 hit kills.

I always avoided Lost Souls after first encountering them. Then, recently, I encountered them by accident, shortly after having recruited a witchfinder who was supposed to have +20 Resolve in the face of mind control attacks …

The result? The witchfinder shat his pants and fled at first contact, but everyone else in my party held their ground and killed them fairly easily …

Participant

If you have ammunition, any quiver in anyone’s possession (including backup slots) will get filled.

So long as you have some decent melee defence and at least enough protection against the odd lucky hit, you shouldn’t be too afraid of getting stunned by the initial orc onslaught (at least if many/most of them are fairly lightly armed). The stun on contact doesn’t actually do any damage to armour or hit points (if you have the Dodge perk, it remains intact after being stunned and you still have an extra +10-15 defence that makes a hit reasonably unlikely while you’re stunned, especially since the orcs aren’t that accurate). If the orcs are a mix of lightly/heavily armed ones, you can deliberately make contact with the lighter ones that move first, and then the heavy ones will get stuck behind and can be attacked with crossbows and/or pikes.

One of the best strategies against both orcs and goblins (though not so much the orc parties with lots of heavily armed warriors or warlords) is to have some members with Bags&Belts, Quick Hands, 60+ ranged skill and more than one crossbow. Against orcs they can wait for the advance behind melee fighters and then shoot twice from close range, usually hitting home and doing a lot of damage to hit points, so that the melee fighters then have more modest work to do. Against goblins they can move forward and shoot at the ambushers from close range, usually killing or severely injuring at least one or two of them in the first round, so that then (even if one or two people get poisoned) the goblins won’t have enough firepower to stop your advance. The crossbowmen are especially effective if they have high initiative and the Dodge perk, and repeatedly shooting fresh bows at the start of battle (instead of reloading) means that their initiative (and bonus defence) remains high and that they get to act early. It can be much more difficult, however, if it’s awkward terrain that favours the goblins and they have an overseer or shaman …

Participant

You can’t decide your battle formation yet, but one thing is certain: Monsters you meet will always seek to outflank you, even if you outnumber them. Move your strongest defenders to the flanks if you have the time, with orcses you will have the initiative in the first round. The guys holding the middle can easily mop up the orc young thrown at them and then go help the flanks. Carry extra weapons and shields, the orcses will crush your shields and your weapons will wear out before battle ends. Snipe at them with xbows. Target berserkers first, unless you have better shots at lightly armoured orc young. In melee orcses are easily hit, but you need many of them before they go down.

Wiedergangers are easy to defeat, they reanimate a lot which is annoying, but easily controlled. Ghouls are easy most of the time; annoying when they feed when near death as they get fully healed.

Beware armoured skellies with polearms/two-handed swords. Xbows should be fired at them exclusively to destroy their armour as quickly as possible, goblin crossbows are extra good as they often push the target back by one hex on hit.

When facing necromancers try to keep one (per necromancer) of the weak skellies in the front of your line down – they will get ressurected to block your way to the necromancers. Preferable to having the stronger skellies at your flanks (every time at your flanks, they don’t believe in frontal assaults heh) ressurect repeatedly.

Participant

Thank you Danubian, Wargasm and Einar for your advice.

I will mark this tread as favorite. As there is a lot of info i can`t absorb after reading it once or twice.
    Hope this will help some new players as well. It has been helpfull to me.

Now i know what i need to know about ammunition. And i better build up to 12 mercenaries. I used to stick with 6 for a long time.

Participant

I`ll post my question here. So i dont have to create more treads and clutter up the forum.

Is there ever a reason not to haggle for more money on quests. I tend to accept the missions from the major houses without haggling to get in their favor.
    Or when i feel pity for someone with a sad story line. But should i bother? What is the downside of haggling?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.