Topic: Mission Completion Typo

• Author
    Participant

Upon completing one of the Ancient Dead contracts. The text should probably read either ‘Not one thanks you, naturally.’ or ‘No one thanks you, naturally.’

Participant

I think this is fine…
    Because you’re still talking about the same subject, the townsfolk.

"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live." ~Marcus Aurelius

Game: "Characters with a height advantage against their opponents are harder to hit"
    Me: "That's not true, and my short axeman is living proof!"

Participant

The problem is ‘Not a one’, which I tend to think for most speakers of English is not a proper usage of ‘a’ as a grammar particle.

Participant

The (English) Merriam-Webster dictionary seems to think it’s fine: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/not%20a/one

"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live." ~Marcus Aurelius

Game: "Characters with a height advantage against their opponents are harder to hit"

Participant

With the slash. You see in the example sentences they don’t have the a/one in the actual sentence, just the one.

Participant

Ah, I see. Well, here’s a different link: http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/238881/why-does-not-a-one-sound-incorrect-but-not-a-single-one-sounds-okay

Participant

I must concede that apparently ‘not a one’ is used; I’m not sure even for the poetry reason to create a jarring effect it is appropriate here, if the mercenaries are not surprised that no one thanks them.

The ‘a’ just seems to be a waste of a syllable, when it could be shorted to just ‘not one’ or emphasized with ‘not a single one’.

Participant

I’ll admit that I sat there for quite a while thinking about it, before I finally attempted to disagree with you.

English is a very strange language.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.