Topic: Redefining a "Miss" in combat

• Author
    Participant

There is one thing that has always bothered me in video games and that is the classic “miss” in combat when an attack doesn’t do anything. I have always felt frustrated and ‘punished’ so to speak instead of rewarded.

I wanted to suggest the idea of the “glancing blow” or “ineffective strike” where basically the attack is for all intents and purposes a “miss”, but the weapon actually lands ineffectively on the target and does superficial damage to the armor. If all armor is gone, some hp damage will be done. This will effectively enable a feeling of something productive every single turn for every attack.

A ‘regular attack’ could be termed a ‘Tactical Strike’ where the full intended damage is done, and of course the critical strike would be the head shot you already have implemented which i think is awesome :)

Let me know what you think on this. The glancing blow does not need to contribute to overwhelm stacking

Keymaster

A fair point, and something we’ve considered in the very beginning but decided to not go with. The thing is, introducing a system with ‘glancing hits’ would at the same time diminish the impact that a single hit has, both in damage numbers and emotionally, since you’re kind of always hitting for small amounts of damage and individual hits become less meaningful. This would change the feel of combat (and ultimately the game) quite a bit, away from the generally fast and deadly style we want it to have, more towards applying constant damage over time. Consider that missing in combat is also a buildup for when next you hit, which then feels all the more rewarding.

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

That’s really interesting you all considered it already. I honestly don’t feel it would make individual hits less meaningful. They would still be spectacular displays of blood, gore and damage in comparison. In my mind the glancing blows would just reduce the “ahhh cmon” feeling of a miss. I am thinking 2 or 3 damage to the armor and a cool sound effect to *feel* like a minor reward instead of a large punishment, if you know what I mean. The only exception is arrows, which I think a high miss rate is very appropriate and especially hitting your houndmaster by accident ;)
    This glancing blow ‘miss’ system would also actually make the battles even more speedier and deadly since the overall damage done per round would increase. Regular hits would still be crushing and the core of the strategy revolving around it. I also feel it would enhance the combat strategy because no longer can one rely on impossible to hit shield wall type antics with guys in the back raining arrows.
    I am finding myself hearing “Whoosh, whoosh” most of the game and a lot of psychological punishment. One could argue that this punishment makes the hits feel that much sweeter, but I think we can all agree the human mind is very greedy and selfish and expects some kind of action or payoff for taking daring risks like moving into zone of control etc.

quick Edit:

Battle of Wesnoth comes to mind, as well as the Civ series. Whoosh, whoosh. A miss feels only like punishment

Participant

Another thought: the bad feelings would not just be reduced when missing, but good feelings will be enhanced when successfully defending. The Shield wall for example could have a shield blocking sound effect and would give depth and life to the shield. Armor can make sound effects too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.