Topic: Tactical ambush

Tagged: ,

• Author
    Participant

When you or the enemy discover an ambush the hard way!

If a unit moves adjacent to an enemy unit that is hidden in a bush, the hidden unit should receive a free attack on the unsuspecting unit (similar to moving through zone of control), but only if the hidden unit has a melee weapon equipped. Once the hidden unit is discovered in this manner, it no longer gets a free attack until it has successfully met the requirements to hide again. Once a unit moves adjacent to the hidden unit, and is subject to a free attack, attempting to move within or out of the zone of control will provoke attack(s) as normal.

I have also noticed that the AI can see your hidden units even when they hide several hexes away from the nearest enemy, and even if you do not reveal your location by shooting.

A wise general wins before the battle, while the ignorant general must fight to win - Zhuge Liang

Participant

What ambush mechanic that’s in the game already is when an enemy company will hide out of your company’s LOS on the main map until they move in to commence battle, like hiding in a tree line by the road for example. At that point, your men know they’re being attacked that’s why the AI knows where your men are even if you don’t get seen in the FOW. You can get free attacks if the enemy is already moved into one of your brothers zone of control and tries to move around within said zone. The only time I’ve seen someone been able to attack someone that steps in their zone of control are enemies armed with a spear and do spear wall formation prior.

Participant

What ambush mechanic that’s in the game already is when an enemy company will hide out of your company’s LOS on the main map until they move in to commence battle, like hiding in a tree line by the road for example. At that point, your men know they’re being attacked that’s why the AI knows where your men are even if you don’t get seen in the FOW. You can get free attacks if the enemy is already moved into one of your brothers zone of control and tries to move around within said zone. The only time I’ve seen someone been able to attack someone that steps in their zone of control are enemies armed with a spear and do spear wall formation prior.

I am not really sure what you are saying here, but thanks for your comment.

A wise general wins before the battle, while the ignorant general must fight to win - Zhuge Liang

Participant

Possibly the AI only knows where your units are hiding if your units moved into a hidden tile from another, non-hidden tile within an enemy’s range of vision (just as you know an enemy is hiding in some bushes, even though you can’t see the unit, because you saw a unit move towards that tile through some non-hidden tiles).

Participant

That sounds plausible, but if the AI can make intelligent extrapolations like that, why does it make nonsensical moves like wolfriders moving in and out of your zone of control for no reason, or archers moving erratically or even moving into melee range of brothers rather than firing? I think the AI can see your brothers regardless of hidden status(even if you start the battle in a bush), but cannot shoot at you until the hidden status is removed. Of course I am only speculating, but it seems the AI needs some tweaking in some areas.

I do appreciate the different AI behavior depending on which enemy you are engaged. Orcs tend to employ a brute force frontal attack, goblins prefer ranged with wolfriders flanking your second line, bandit archers seem to target your weakest or least armored brother.

Participant

Not sure. But certainly some of the wolfrider and bandit behaviours are inexplicable (e.g. wolfriders wasting a whole turn and lots of energy by using footwork twice, only to move straight back onto the original tile both times, or raiders using rotation so that a marksmen in a green tunic is left surrounded in melee).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.