Topic: Weapon / armor selection

• Author
    Participant

Any plans to include a wider weapon and armor selection, also please consider dual weapon capability.
    Below is a list of weapons and armor I’d like to see in game eventually.
    (not sure if some of these may have been mentioned in previous posts)

flamberge
    claymore
    bastard sword
    celtic sword
    viking sword
    executioners axe (bonus to hit head)
    maul
    truncheon
    rapier
    falcata
    stlletto
    dirk
    main gauche
    sword breaker
    sword catcher
    halberd
    military fork
    military pick
    glaive
    sling
    atlatl used with javelin
    arbelest
    arbelest shield
    tower shield
    buckler worn on forearm used with longbow
    spiked shield
    horned barbarian helmet
    barbute
    morion
    heume
    gothic plate
    breast plate
    ring mail (not the same as chain mail)
    hide armor

A wise general wins before the battle, while the ignorant general must fight to win - Zhuge Liang

Participant

A few of the weapons you mentioned are already in the game under different names. Some of the weapons you mentioned also don’t need to both be implemented. Claymores and bastard swords could really just be added in as one large sword. Dirks are knives, which are already in game. Military picks and halberds are also in game, I think. Rapiers wouldn’t fit in the game in my opinion, because they really didn’t see a rise in use until the 1500-1600s. They were better with the use of less armor and Battle Brothers is meant to be a gritty, medieval-style world. The ‘celtic sword’ and ‘viking sword’ you mentioned are confusing me, though. Both cultures had multiple styles for their swords, so which do you mean? Also, the game is supposed to have certain elements based off of real-world cultures, but without using the proper names because, after all, it is in a fantasy world. So really the viking and celtic swords could just be broadswords or shortswords.
    I do like your helmet ideas and a few of those weapons.

Participant

I also think, you could add more suspense in the arms/armor topic by their availability and also by adding three kind of materials….bronze (ancient stuff), iron (common stuff) and steel (professional/ lordly stuff).

Villages for example never should have steel products in the offer, as producing and smithing steel needs an infrastructure only a big city or fortress should have. Here my other idea about how the map should be sets in, where borderland villages should have yeomen/independant tribes like items to sell like spears, normal bows, saxes, sometimes a short- or broadsword, leather and scale armor of all kind, sometimes a chainmail..all in iron. Inner core villages at the other hand, hard under control by their liegelords and pacified, should only have improvised weaponry like tools of the trade, reworked to be a weapon…a flail, a straight smithed scythe and of course the fork, next to some knifes and saxes. And only cloth armor, maybe some leather.

Cities and big fortresses should sell the whole range, but more orientated to the professional stuff. And the prices should be much much higher. At the momentaneous state of the game, you literally get the good stuff in a minute.

Participant

A few of the weapons you mentioned are already in the game under different names. Some of the weapons you mentioned also don’t need to both be implemented. Claymores and bastard swords could really just be added in as one large sword. Dirks are knives, which are already in game. Military picks and halberds are also in game, I think. Rapiers wouldn’t fit in the game in my opinion, because they really didn’t see a rise in use until the 1500-1600s. They were better with the use of less armor and Battle Brothers is meant to be a gritty, medieval-style world. The ‘celtic sword’ and ‘viking sword’ you mentioned are confusing me, though. Both cultures had multiple styles for their swords, so which do you mean? Also, the game is supposed to have certain elements based off of real-world cultures, but without using the proper names because, after all, it is in a fantasy world. So really the viking and celtic swords could just be broadswords or shortswords.
    I do like your helmet ideas and a few of those weapons.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but a bastard sword aka hand and a half sword, is only slightly bigger than a long sword, and can be wielded with one or two hands. A claymore is a much larger weapon, and cannot be wielded with one hand. A perfect example is William Wallace using one in braveheart. There are no military picks or halberds in the game thus far, unless they are an “named” weapon I haven’t found yet. You must be mistaking an ordinary miners pick and a billhook, for a military pick and a halberd. You should really know what you talking about before posting something as fact. Yes some of the weapons listed in the OP are similar to weapons already in the game, however the “named” items have a unique names. So for example, a named dagger could be called “Venomous Dirk” Or an ordinary padded leather armor could be called “Studded Hide”

A wise general wins before the battle, while the ignorant general must fight to win - Zhuge Liang

Participant

In an effort to, perhaps, help categorize the additions, there could be cosmetic additions and actual gameplay affecting additions.

As already mentioned, some of these weapons are similar in purpose to weapons that are already in the game; the military pick and the two handed warhammer, for example, serve the same purpose of destroying armor. Claymores and greatswords serve the same purpose also.

The weapons that are designed for two-weapon fighting (like main gauches or parrying daggers in general) require two-weapon fighting to be implemented to see use. Which means design work in terms of making sure there’s a benefit to two-weapon fighting instead of just doing single-weapon and using the Duelist or Nimble perks to essentially get the same benefit without having to find and maintain two weapons for the user in general.

Would also note that hide armor is already in the game, it’s just Direwolf Hide Armor. Which is to say, not something you typically use at the moment except for a Sergeant in the group, as the Rusty Chainmail from bandits have more armor points for the same range of max fatigue penalty.

Participant

In an effort to, perhaps, help categorize the additions, there could be cosmetic additions and actual gameplay affecting additions.

I would like cosmetic additions too. More “skins” of the same armor, like Mail Hauberks in different colors. Uniques are nice but there isn’t quite enough variety yet. Usually my guys end up wearing Coat of Scales with one of two unique helmets. Unique CoS or CoP armors hardly ever pop up in stores and the lighter variants usually don’t offer enough protection for my taste. So for now I mostly use beard colors and styles to identify my brothers quickly.

Needless to say, more weapon and armor variety would surely benefit the game in any case.

Participant

Yeah, I agree with some of the things on the list but some seem redundant and more culturally influenced.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.