Topic: Wootz Damascus and Pattern-Welded blades

• Author
    Participant

Wootz Damascus and Pattern-Welded blades would add an awesome dimension to weapon upgrades and blacksmith customization. They would also look very cool.
    The True Wootz will be extremely rare and should be the strongest in the game, only dropped from rare monsters from afar or from a Legendary Blacksmith you have to unlock through a quest. Pattern welded (laminated) can be made by Blacksmiths for an insane amount of Crowns, and have stunning graphic designs you can choose (which I am sure Paulsen will have a great time drawing), or even which are unique to certain towns and blacksmiths, in addition to +stat upgrades due to the lamination. Here are some design features from a real blacksmith website I have known for some time:
    Turkish Twist:
    Double Star Twist:
    Lucifers Laces:
    Twist:
    Pool and Eye:
    Persian Ribbon:
    Straight Laminate:
    Maiden’s Hair:
    Ladder:
    Butterfly:
    Welded Cable:
    Utilising this system I believe would make for an awesome feel of authenticity and also allow stronger tiered weapons without resorting to high-fantasy adamantium light sabers etc.

Participant

This is true Wootz Steel:
    The pattern is formed in the creation of the steel itself and is not pattern welded. Vikings and other Europeans sought to reproduce the legendary wootz but created Pattern Welded steel instead, an artform in and of itself that also enhances the strength of the steel, but never matched the performance of Wootz.
    True wootz is made in a crucible with special ingredients thrown in and a precise amount of carbon. In the right conditions, Vanadium-Carbide bands separate out from the steel and make it super hard yet strong at the same time- a living contradiction in the nature of steel. Strength and hardness are inversely proportionate, which is why Sanmai/Sanmei from the Chinese and later Japanese blacksmiths had a flexible iron core with sharp hardened edges (Katana).

Participant

Also, make it available only through consignment. It should take the Blacksmiths at least 4 few weeks to craft a pattern welded blade. If the town gets razed or ambushed during that time, the timer resets.
    Ah, and while I’m at it, different text colors for the super rare and legendary item names. A deep crimson red or even purple colored text would remind you that you are wielding something priceless.

Also, jeweled pommels, custom grips and grip upgrades and guard designs.

Keymaster

Hey Drygord,
    this sounds like an interesting twist to a crafting mechanic. Especially as I havent really seen something like it yet.

Utilising this system I believe would make for an awesome feel of authenticity and also allow stronger tiered weapons without resorting to high-fantasy adamantium light sabers etc.

True!

I have to say though, that there wont be a crafting system. At least not in the launch version of the game. What I would like to do, is use some of these patterns for a distinctive look on certain legendary or named weapons if I find the time.

Cheers!

Overhype Studios - Let´s roll!

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Hey Drygord,
    What I would like to do, is use some of these patterns for a distinctive look on certain legendary or named weapons if I find the time.

Sure hope you can find the time!! WOOT to wootz steel!! ;-)

In a single player game, there's no such thing as cheating. It's merely "creative manipulation of the default settings"!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.