Reply To: A few valuable suggestions :)

Participant

I can never bring myself to dismiss my veteran mercs who’ve acquired permanent injuries – not even injuries that contravene the whole rationale with which I’ve built them up for so long. I might send them into battle and put them into perilous situations without much support, but they always seem to survive miraculously when I do that, and how can you then dismiss them after such heroism?

It really isn’t very realistic to just suddenly dismiss someone with no payoff and no repercussions involving other members of the band. Nor, for that matter, to send them into battle against orc warriors with a leather tunic and a wooden club, in the hope that they might not make it through …

Maybe, based on what perks they have, some suitable equipment should be retired with them (e.g. at least one top-tier weapon in accordance with their mastery, and a selection of shields if they were a shield expert, and some heavy armour and helm if they were brawny and/or battle forged), and/or they should get to take at least one trading item or piece of equipment for each perk, in addition to a minimum payoff (e.g. # of days times daily pay) that you can choose to increase (e.g. for someone who was originally a raw recruit with a low starting pay).

Unfortunately, the level cap means that you become disinterested in veterans once they reach level 11 and can no longer develop and improve. If the number of level 11 veterans and permanent injuries in the band both resulted in an increased rate of experience gain by newer recruits, that would give them some more value (though of course it wouldn’t solve the problem of not being able to recruit new people once the band is full of level 11s).

I wonder whether the Vererans’ Hall (still to come in early access) could have something to do with increasing the value of veterans by some auxiliary means …

If proper retirements were introduced, one good idea for a new event would be a retired veteran making a volitional one-off return to the fold for a cataclysmic battle during one of the end-game crises … and/or a level 8-11 veteran who was slain in battle making a miraculous reappearance (e.g. revived slowly after being left for dead, or brought back by some sort of surgery-cum-sorcery).