Reply To: Considering the War Bow vs. the Heavy Crossbow

Participant

I’m pretty sure your calculations aren’t correct. The war-bow typically does ~40 damage to the armour of metal-coated orcs.

How it goes, I think, is:

Shot One:
– 60 raw damage against 250 armour value
– 65% effective vs armour = ~39 armour damage (~211 armour remains)
– 35% of raw damage ignores armour = ~21 damage potentially done to hit points, but 10% of ~211 = ~21 and so no/miniscule damage is done to hit points

Shot Two:
– 60 raw damage against ~211 armour value
– 65% effective vs armour = ~39 armour damage (~172 armour remains)
– 35% of raw damage ignores armour = ~21 damage potentially done to hit points, but 10% of ~172 = ~17 and so only ~4 damage is done to hit points

Shot Three:
– 60 raw damage against ~172 armour value
– 65% effective vs armour = ~39 armour damage (~133 armour remains)
– 35% of raw damage ignores armour = ~21 damage potentially done to hit points, but 10% of ~133 = ~13 and so only ~8 damage is done to hit points

Shot Four:
– 60 raw damage against ~133 armour value
– 65% effective vs armour = ~39 armour damage (~94 armour remains)
– 35% of raw damage ignores armour = ~21 damage potentially done to hit points, but 10% of ~94 = ~9 and so only ~12 damage is done to hit points

Etc. etc. and on shot five you’d actually manage to trigger a morale check.

But it has to be said that there’s nothing in-game to indicate that 10% of the remaining armour value will be deducted from the amount that supposedly “ignores” armour. So, when you’re first playing the game, you see that 50% of 60 damage ignores armour and think “hey, I can do 30 damage to flesh with one shot that has a +15% chance to hit, and trigger a morale check to make this orc warrior run away”.

I think the only info about the 10% deduction anywhere is on some ancient dev blog from before I discovered and started following the game.