Reply To: Amazing game: Some suggestions for improvement

Participant

3. Racial (lack of) diversity:
As others already stated there wont be elves, dwarves or orcs fighting for the player. Our plan is to include more human cultures in future add ons depending on their setting (Scandinavian, Eastern, Arabic, North Africa etc)

Thanks; that is a bit more reassuring, even if not completely satisfactory still.

4. Character Development:
Regarding the perks there are so many different oppionions flying around, we have to do some intense playtesting and judge for ourselves. One person says: This Perk is the bomb! While the next one says: Its totally useless!

I think it’s really well done and innovative. I think it is the bomb! ;)

5. Quest variety/limit/payout:
The contract system will get a big rework with our worldmap redesign and the event system and reputation system.

As I’ve posted above, I’d also like to see some XP gains as well, in addition to cash and reputation rewards.

6. Tactical combat issues:
The range of weapons and sights plays out pretty well in my personal oppionion.

Here I will totally and strongly disagree. Sorry, but I feel really passionate about this issue. First, as a general matter, even in games, severe departure from reality or extreme lack of realism detracts when there is no compelling reason for such a departure. Here, the reduction of sight radius from some helmets is just ridiculous. I am a medieval military afficianado (not just Western but including, even primarily, East Asian), and I’ve worn military helmets. They simply won’t restrict your line of sight the way you portray. You lose some peripheral vision, but not forward vision.

Second, the biggest issue is how the low sight radius interacts with ranged AI behavior. A lot of times, ranged AI units do nothing but retreat, retreat, and retreat. They won’t even stand still and fire. So against ranged units, you spend all the time time chasing in the dark (literally!) in a game of hide and seek. It’s truly infuriating and made me give up fighting bandits altogether. Either the AI should be programmed to stay and fight more, or the sight of radius should increase (or more preicsely, “be normalized”). I bought the game to fight battles, not run a marathon.

I apologize for the blunt and harsh language (especially because I think the game is so well conceived overall), but I think this part of the game is really broken; and without future improvements, adding more ranged units (and an entire race to boot) will make a bad situation worse.

7. Bugs/glitches:
I think you have to adjust the camera height level with “+” and “-” keys. When you lower the camera hills will get “cut off” and the characters standing on those tiles will be represented by small icons.

Cheers!

Could you explain this a bit more? I tried those keys, and they don’t work. But I do get those small icons quite a lot.