Topic: Allow player to manually lower renown equivalent.

• Author
    Participant

Does the player need to rebuild after a bad defeat? Do they need some milk runs for new recruits to cut their teeth on?

Let them manually choose the “renown level” they want their contracts at – but with the catch that completing contracts and fighting wild groups at a lower renown doesn’t increase your maximum renown and obviously won’t financially support a skilled and well equipped band for very long.

The only time something like this would really “work” is when the player has fallen well behind the curve for some reason in regards to band skills, so it’s a good way to allow for this without having to have a complicated algorithm guessing and failing.

Keymaster

Renown scales contract payments and unlocks new contract types, but has no bearing on contract difficulty other than that.

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Renown scales contract payments and unlocks new contract types, but has no bearing on contract difficulty other than that.

Could you please tell us what actually does affect the contract difficulty?

Participant

Could you please tell us what actually does affect the contract difficulty?

I second that request

Participant

If difficulty isn’t based primarily on renown, I have no idea what it could be based on. Is it just “time passed” or something? If so, consider this suggestion to be for “whatever is the primary determinant of contract difficulty”

Participant

Rap you can’t just leave us hanging like this!

Participant

Please give us an answer.

I would really like to know if Student is still a viable perk to take in the beginning or if – like some people said – the contract difficulty is scaling with the over-all (sum or average?) company level and thus we should not take student as one of the first perks.

Some transparency on the matter would be really great.

Participant

Guys, I suspect if you want a clear gauge how difficult the contract will be, look carefully at the amount of reward offered. There is some indication that the reward indicates how tough a contract is going to be.

Been watching Zosh127’s youtube, and he got a contract which was 3-star but offered a lowly 800+ bucks. True enough, while the numbers of bandits were large, most of the bandits are thugs and not raiders so he won easily.

I suspect certain “events” trump this however. Events like “You’ve found a bandit leader in the camp!” which significantly boosts the difficulty, but will also reward you much much more than the original amount once completed.

Participant

Rap, we know you are reading this, so… If we cannot get the answer to our question, can we at least get informed what purpose withholding this information from us serves?

Game has no multi, it’s not like someone is going to exploit this somehow to mess with other players.

Participant

MY GUESS:
    1. a contract’s difficulty will use the players’ current world map difficulty.
    2. renown will affect the world map difficulty.
    3. days will affect the world map difficulty.
    4. every game you start as new will have its own basic world map difficulty, depends on whether you chose beginner/ veteran/ expert.
    5. every game you start as new will have its own basic scaling rate, depends on whether you chose beginner/ veteran/ expert.

i wish the contract difficulty could be scaled depends on how well equiped your men were and how high lvl your men had. or maybe the game is already using this method, just we havent noticed yet?

Participant

MY GUESS:
    2. renown will affect the world map difficulty.

no.

Renown (…) has no bearing on contract difficulty other than that.

directly or indirectly, one would assume.

Guessing is really quite pointless right now unless someone can provide us with some hard data.

Participant

Guys, I suspect if you want a clear gauge how difficult the contract will be, look carefully at the amount of reward offered. There is some indication that the reward indicates how tough a contract is going to be.

Yeah right now that’s basically the only indication (along with knowing the mission types since some, like town defense, are much harder than others)

But this isn’t really relevant to the issues being discussed in this thread though, which is “what *makes* missions harder” rather than “how hard are missions?”

Participant

Wait… If it scales contract payments, and we know that contract payments are the most reliable way to determine difficulty…

That would imply that renown is in fact the primary driver of difficulty.

So now I’m really confused as to what was intended to be communicated by this comment.

Participant

Wait… If it scales contract payments, and we know that contract payments are the most reliable way to determine difficulty…

That would imply that renown is in fact the primary driver of difficulty.

“Reliable”.. I really wouldn’t call it that. 2 contracts, one after another. First catch thieves, 2 raider 6 thugs 3 poachers – 2* contract rewarding about 800 crowns. Immediately after I take a 1* contract for about 400 crowns, retrieve relic, so I assumed it would be 8-10 auxiliaries at most. Turned out it was 2 necrosavants, 7 auxiliaries. In woods, so no information about enemy composition – companion archer got 2-shot. If it were 800 for a 1* contract I might have expected a bit more resistance. I should probably also mention that the savants started off with about 50% of their max HP. I would like to know if that is the reason they were being treated as low-tier?

Sometimes, you get a 3* contract for say 1500 crowns against 15 or so enemies, mostly thugs, some raiders, a leader and 2-3 marksmen. At the same time you get a 2* contract for 1k crowns against 10 raiders or so – which is the more difficult fight imo.

The thing about renown scaling rewards but not difficulty makes the whole guessing of what we may encounter a bit inconsistent. If the difficulty is scaling with company level or ingame-days but rewards are unaffected, we get to situations like this: we take a contract one day, it is easy and a few guys get a levelup. We go straight to the next city, take a similar contract with the same rewards, same amount of skulls – it should be just as easy, right? I mean we literally just did the same job 5 minutes ago, however in the meantime difficulty got ramped up and now you may be in trouble.

Anyways the balancing in general seems pretty decent to me right now, just sometimes there are these random occasions where I feel really cheated.

Participant

@Namespace There are disclaimers saying that some contracts are not worth the gold paid for it. I just wish there was an in-game method for knowing what was going to be worthwhile and what wasn’t going to be. Would be really helpful if having an allied relationship with a town meant more disclosure about contract conditions. I love this game, and I think that the devs could write a book on early access handled properly, but I will say the absence of dev commentary in threads like this is a bit disheartening.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.