Topic: Does duelist apply to thrown weapons?

• Author
    Participant

Based on the description, it seems like it would – they are one handed weapons, they can be wielded with or without a shield, it doesn’t say anything about it requiring ranged attacks, so wielding them without a shield should grant the duelist bonus, right?

If so, they might actually have a niche. That would be nice.

Edit: Also, throwing axes do not benefit from axe mastery, correct?

Participant

I think they do benefit from duelist.
    And throwing axes are throwing mastery only weapons afaik.

I never found any use for throwing weapons really. I have tried to but never found a really good usage, at least not worth using throwing weapon mastery. Say you play against a full melee kind of enemy you could use throwing weapons on the guys that dont use spearwall since they have some free time. It just doesn’t seem very viable without quick hands and I usually don’t have spare perk points.

Participant

Duellist does apply to throwing weapons, yes. The only downside is that you tend to need too many perks to make the hybrid build work effectively (or at least need almost all of those perks to be ready in place before the build becomes effective).

Participant

It’s basically two more perks – duelist and throwing weapons – on my archers, who no longer need perks to help them with polearms.

Then they can actually help when fighting skeletons!

Participant

It’s basically two more perks – duelist and throwing weapons – on my archers, who no longer need perks to help them with polearms.

Throwing axes may be considered projectiles, which skeletons resist anyway?

Participant

For some reason I thought skeletons resisted like, bolts and arrows. Didn’t think throwing axes would be included. I guess if it’s projectiles that would still make sense as to why spears work okay with them and, yeah, I guess that makes that thought worthless.

Participant

For some reason I thought skeletons resisted like, bolts and arrows. Didn’t think throwing axes would be included. I guess if it’s projectiles that would still make sense as to why spears work okay with them and, yeah, I guess that makes that thought worthless.

Again, I have bad news for you.

From the wiki:
    “Extremely resistant to ranged attacks (80%) [1]
    Resistant to piercing attack (50%) (avoid lances and switch billhooks/pikes for goblin halberd)”

Other than the weapons mentioned, I think Long Axes are good, but not spears and daggers.

Edit: Even better, from the dev’s mouth:

“Skeletons have a 50% resistance against spears and daggers, and 80% resistance against ranged weapons. Maces and Swords inflict roughly the same damage to their health, depending on the type of mace and sword of course, but maces crush their armor faster.”

Participant

Well. Skeletons do have high resistance against arrows but their armor doesn’t. I still run archers with a polearm in their inventory against them to destroy poler’s armor before they come close. Overwhelm is also very powerful to protect your front line against polers.
    And while spears don’t do a lot of damage against skeletons I still use 2 spear wallers to cover the flanks and have the rest wield hammers/swords and flails or axes to get rid or ignore shields.

Also since the most recent rework of geists it’s actually feasible to kill them with archers before they can come close.

Participant

Well. Skeletons do have high resistance against arrows but their armor doesn’t. I still run archers with a polearm in their inventory against them to destroy poler’s armor before they come close. Overwhelm is also very powerful to protect your front line against polers.
    And while spears don’t do a lot of damage against skeletons I still use 2 spear wallers to cover the flanks and have the rest wield hammers/swords and flails or axes to get rid or ignore shields.

Also since the most recent rework of geists it’s actually feasible to kill them with archers before they can come close.

Wait what? You can shoot geists now???

Participant

Well, as I said they have REALLY high ranged defense so you need archers with very high ranged skill. I am currently using fast adaption on my 3 archers and it seems to help a lot with souls especially. On average I would say I can take out 2 souls per round if they are on even ground and don’t have blocked line of sight, with 3 archers 90 ish ranged skill. 20-30% accuracy with the 4ap shot.

Participant

Yep, as of the last update!

Participant

Throwing axes actually do NORMAL damage to the bones of the ancient undead/skeletons, EVEN THOUGH the tooltip for the attack states that they have “resistance against ranged weapons”.

Participant

Awesome. Axe throwing duelists ho, then!

Now if only axe mastery increased the damage they did to shields…

Participant

Awesome. Axe throwing duelists ho, then!

Now if only axe mastery increased the damage they did to shields…

You mean, you give axes to your duelist or you want to build a whole character that just throws axes? A duelist usually doesn’t have a lot of ranged skill and archers need the perk elsewhere. But sure, give axes to your duelist because throwing axes is probably better than doing nothing.

Anyways, the biggest problem I see with throwing weapons is their small ammo size. Even with bags and belts you can only carry 20 thrown weapons at most.
    Aside from that their damage is too low even with the perk. Ofc if you find some named ones with high rolls they might be a bit better but then again, thats just 4 uses per fight.

Participant

Named throwing weapons are an odd concept, since you always lose the actual axes/javelins in battle and have to buy ammo to refill their empty quiver. Is it a magical quiver?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.