Topic: Bucklers rework

• Author
    Participant

First of all, I’m not a native speaker, so I’m sorry for my poor English.

I love diversity in this game, you always can choose what’s better to your company and use it. So you can choose between 3 types of shields: shields suitable for close-combat defense, shields suitable for ranged-combat defense and buckler suitable for… nothing. Bucklers are only used in first 30 minutes of playing and after them “POOF” nobody uses them. That’s bad. We should give some love to this little savior of footmen. As far as I know bucklers used to be used as semi-defensive semi-offensive additional to another one-handed weapon (mostly swords). So let’s treat them in that way! And let’s remove “Knock Back” skill from them, you can’t push anyone with dish-sized shield, it’s ridiculous! And give them some tiers(more bucklers to the bucklers god!)

Tiers
    Tier 1: Buckler
    Description: A small but sturdy shield gripped in the fist. Offers poor protection against ranged attacks but can be useful in deflecting blows in melee.
    Worth: 30 Crowns
    Durability: 16
    Melee Defense +10
    Ranged Defense: +5
    Fatigue:-4
    Skills: Parry, Metal Fist

Tier 2: Reinforced Buckler
    Description: A small but sturdy shield gripped in the fist. It was reinforced with metal patches.
    Worth: 200 Crowns
    Durability: 26
    Melee Defense +15
    Ranged Defense: +10
    Fatigue:-6
    Skills: Parry, Metal Fist

Skills
    Parry: Prepare to parry incoming melee attacks. Buckler loses all its ranged defense and gains the same amount of melee defense until your next turn. For each parried attack you gain +5 melee defense and +5% to hit until your next attack(lasts one turn). 4ap, builds 15 fatigue.
    Metal Fist: Slam an enemy’s face with your trusty buckler to daze him! 4ap, builds 10 fatigue. Affected enemy gets -10% to hit for his next attack(doesn’t stuck)

Shield expert gains additional word
    “… “Metal Fist” debuff increased to -15 to hit…”

That’s it, I hope you find my ideas not so bad. What do you think guys?
    Let’s give bucklers some love!
    Sorry for any mistakes i made, feel free to point at them

Participant

Yeah. It would make sense for there to be offensive shield skills specific to bucklers. Currently, the protection afforded by bucklers is so modest that you’d prefer to gain the increased damage of double grip. But I think they should impose damage+fatigue on the opponent instead of affecting hit chances.

Participant

Yeah. It would make sense for there to be offensive shield skills specific to bucklers. Currently, the protection afforded by bucklers is so modest that you’d prefer to gain the increased damage of double grip. But I think they should impose damage+fatigue on the opponent instead of affecting hit chances.

I thought about skills that could inflict dmg with bucklers. But dmg dealing parry already belongs to swords aka riposte, and a simple dmg dealing skill with a buckler? Meh, who would hit an enemy with a shield, when you can simply smash his head with that freaking axe in your other hand?
    So I think it would be cool to give ’em some aggressive defense possibilities

Participant

If he was braced against an anticipated blow from an axe, a sudden sweeping smash with the rim or boss of a buckler (from the opposite side) could leave him a little dazed and off-balance …

Participant

Well bucklers were used mostly to parry blows, maybe you would get a bonus hit chance to the target that misses you next turn or something?

Participant

There were some buckler-like shields with spikes on the boss, though, which implies that they were intended to be used for punching attacks. But, the more I think about it, the more a Parry skill (modestly increasing, for one turn, the chance to hit any target whose latest attack has been parried) also makes sense. Such additions could make more attacking shield-based builds more viable.

Inactive

Making bucklers usefull and unique would be nice indeed!
    I don’t know how it should be done but I’d like it if these shields could be more than “trash items you sell everytime”.

Participant

if there are some perks supporting the light armor builds, then i think the bucklers will be more seen in our bands, even during the late game. otherwise, they would became only overpowered than they were supposed to be, or keeping been ignored by players as they don’t give damage bonus nor decent defense.
    also, it would be nice if the shield bash could as well gives a little chance to stun the foe, you know, with the mass of your body plus your armor, one successful bash could make a adult dazed for a while.

Participant

Turning the knock back skill on the bucker into a daze skill as you proposed is a nice solution, I think. That would add value further in to the game. Alternatively, doing something with increasing parry chance would also be good.

Overall I agree bucklers need a little something more.

Participant

+1 for the idea. Maybe something for an expansion/mod?

Participant

I support the idea. While inferior statwise, giving them interesting abilities like that would make for an interesting addition that increases build variety.

Participant

Great idea! Buckler certainly needs improvement.
    Long ago, too, dreamed about it. http://battlebrothersgame.com/forums/topic/individualization-buckler/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.