Topic: Damn Werewolves

• Author
    Inactive

Jesus, they are hard. Keep getting attacked by bands of werewolves on like day 5 -_-

Can someone give me some pointers as to how to survive such an encounter???

Participant

Best advice is to run, or maybe sacrifice a guy and then run :)
    And if you run to a castle or a city, guards or militia might help you deal with them.

Keymaster

Hey Drew,
    they can be very pesky. Be careful around forests as they tend to stick to the dark woods in the southwestern areas of the map.
    Apart from that here are a few helpful hints from forum user Ryan:

Use Spear wall. Use shield and terrain to make you hard to
    hit. Use sword and riposte skill to return more missed
    blows than you could otherwise deal yourself. Terrain
    advantage will give to-hit bonus for riposte. Once in
    melee, concentrate on one opponent until his death
    causes others to break, then hit with free attacks when
    routing from melee.

On top of that armor helps a lot as they can attack often but dont have a very high armor effectiveness. Nevertheless they are always terryfying opponents :)

Overhype Studios - Let´s roll!

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Inactive

Haha thanks for the tips guys, my originals made it out of the fight thankfully, can’t say the same for poor Emmerich and Hugo.

Keymaster

Go to the next village and get some more Hugos. Cant have too many Hugos on board :)

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Lol, I love that this has already become a joke :)

Participant

Or get less Hugos. I heard werewolves especially like the smell of Hugos… probably get some *munds :>

Participant

Or get less Hugos. I heard werewolves especially like the smell of Hugos…

I told him he was bathing too often!

Participant

Jesus, they are hard. Keep getting attacked by bands of werewolves on like day 5 -_-

Can someone give me some pointers as to how to survive such an encounter???

You should count yourself lucky. In my first playthrough, I didn’t even manage to get to the second village before a werewolf pack hunted me down. Beat it but it was prohibitively expensive. By day 4 I had two battles against raiding werewolves under my belly costing me a total of 5 mercenaries including evyr single founding member.

routing from melee.

Great theory, but the reality of a band of scrubs facing werewolves looks differently:
    1. The wolves tend to have better initiative enabling them to close the distance before you get to set up spearwall or pick your terrain. You pretty much fight where you spawn. Or perhaps I was just unlucky that they spawned extremely close?
    2. Your only advantage is that the wolves spend all their AP closing the gap which gives your band one turn to kill as many wolves as possible – after that it is shredding time. Scrub battlebrothers with mediocre equipment aren’t good at absorbing werewolf attacks. Casualties are unavoidable. If you are lucky, a wolf misses some attacks – if not you can only hope that you have a gravedigger in your band …

But please don’t mistake me – I had a blast with the wolves. Fun fights – just not very profitable.

Participant

Hey Drew,
    they can be very pesky. Be careful around forests as they tend to stick to the dark woods in the southwestern areas of the map.
    Apart from that here are a few helpful hints from forum user Ryan:

routing from melee.

On top of that armor helps a lot as they can attack often but dont have a very high armor effectiveness. Nevertheless they are always terryfying opponents :)

Claws have low AP eh? Will have to add that to my table…

It is odd; i’m on my second significant playthrough and i’ve not really fought anything but Orcs and Bandits yet.

(one 5 minute campaign consisted of getting jumped by a suprise group of 4 vampires and 3 fallen heroes right out of the gate…)

My first try was using spear rabble but my company never really got off the ground due to high turn over sapping my cash reserves and lack of achievable missions being offered. At one point I had several unarmed brothers on my rota who had to wait for weapons to be dropped in battle before they could meaningfully take part! Desertion of likeable characters caused me to abandon that game before I could really consider reviewing my ideas from the demo/LetsPlays.

My next play through went for quality rather than quantity, and having some heavy ‘rocks’ really helped in the first few battles – felt much more predicatable. Now, almost all my brothers EACH have a spear, an axe and a backup sword, plus helmets, armour and lots of utility perks, making it pretty easy ATM as I can freely swap to the right weapon for each enemy sub-type. I intend to go hunt down some werewolves to put my men to a proper test. Overall though, I think if you come up against werewolves it come down to luck of the map, more than anything.

Participant

Nice. Have you fought orc warriors or lords yet? Ugh ;)

Btw. Werewolfs is Battle Brothers lobstermen!

Participant

Haven’t met the big red armoured Orc yet, no. Soon hopefully (he’s so dead!).

Was just thinking why werewolves are so horrible at the moment. From what i’ve seen of them in LP videos they just jump out of the FOW in one mass on turn 1, whereas in the demo they came often came at you individually almost. This was almost scarier as your men would often be spread out and vulnerable the wrong moment – a bit like how Vampires tend to attack. I really liked the way the werewolves would run off if injured. Seems broken though that they come back to be slaughtered – surely they should exit the map or hide until a battle-timer expires.

Are werewolves afraid of fire? Having your party able to equip torches would be a nice way of warding them off. I suppose you would have to introduce a mechanic in the game that requires you say to move from your deployment zone to the other ‘board edge’, probably through a defile or forest, so as to give the werewolves some chance to catch you unawares.

Right now, i’m predicting that If you can survive turn one and turtle (perhaps by sacrificing a couple of men) AND if you are lucky enough with the terrain then werewolves are just a weaker version of Orcs (no charge skill, no area of effect weapons, low AP).

Participant

I am currently trying to win the last scenario (although game is crashing pretty heavily on me) and here are some of my tips:

– Use spears with shields and use spearwall formation before enemy closes. This should hopefully give you a few free hits. If you’re lucky. Spears give you bonus to accuracy too (and your guys don’t have grand accuracy to begin with).

– Make each character attack an enemy once: if you have multiple characters surrounding a single target it increases your chances to hit them as each attack adds to the Overwhelmed bonus. Works very well with billhooks.

– Sometimes it’s not viable to use every attack possible. Do use the Overwhlmed bonus. Better not to waste stamina on a miss and conserve strength untill you’ll be able to utilize it to the full. Fatigue is important.

– Heavy hitters should always strike as the last ones, to get full bonus (don’t be afraid to put them at the end of combat queque, you can always spend your actions later). When they hit they do hit hard, so make sure they aren’t all alone.

– Slashing weapons (such as swords) allow you to get riposte. You’ll attack once per each missed attack. And werewolfes do attack a lot and do miss a lot.

– Remember that you can make werewolves run in terror. So focus on killing their friends and loved ones to make some of them flee. One enemy dead and second fleeing are two enemies you don’t have to deal with at the moment.

– Good archers are worth their weight in gold as they can damage enemy before they engage and swith to secondary weapons if need be to help at the front line.

In the end the werewolves aren’t that much of a problem. Vampires is what I hate… They are hard to hit, they don’t die easily and they harass very well. And there are three of them. On top of 14 werewolves trying to swarm you.

Keymaster

Hey death, nice tips right here!
    Just like you say its absolutely important to “set up” your heavy hitters by attacking the enemy with light weapons first and drive up that overwhelm bonus!
    If the game crashes on you, please send us the log file (post in the bug forum and attach the file or send via mail).

Its important to send the log file directly after the crash. As soon as you start up the game again, the file will get overwritten.
    log.html:
    Send us the log.html file that will usually document the error and is crucial to fiy it. The file will get overwritten if you start a new game so be aware of that. Here is how you get it:
    1) Copy “C:\ProgramData\Overhype Studios\Battle Brothers” by selecting it and pressing Ctrl+C
    2) Press Windows Key + E to open the Explorer
    3) Click into the adress bar
    4) Insert what you copied by pressing Ctrl+V
    5) Press Enter

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Yup they are bad doggies alright

there i was thinking my 12 new shiney recruits in a recent new campaign can be bloodied against 4 werewolves i liked the odds

as most of my guys heads were flying through the air and they chased down my last routing ex-rat catcher i thought back to my load file.

thanks for the tips on these though guys will definitely be learning from this carnage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.