Topic: Detailed info about rolls, checks, etc.

• Author
    Participant

This was first thing that I tried to find in settings during my tutorial battles. So much events happen on the battlefield and I can’t trace more then half of them.

Participant

It would be nice if the combat log could provide more information, and be larger in general. it’s not very eye catching and a neglected piece of the UI, like if you want to know who dealt how much damage during a battle it can be very hard to find out using the log.

Right now it just says “Bandit raider’s head armor was hit for 20 damage” but a message like, “(Battle brother X) dealt 20 damage to Bandit raider’s head armor” would be more useful.

The earlier mentioned change would be a gameplay improvement but the following suggestion would be more for flavor and setting the mood.

And if you want you can add even more flavor to the message by having slightly different messages depending on the attacks. “A devastating blow to the head” could be a used to signalize a head hit or perhaps if an attacks inflicts an injury it could say, “a strong blow to the leg completely pierced the muscles and left a debilitating injury” instead of just X suffers pierced leg muscles.

and if that bold text could have a mouse over tool tip describing exactly what pierced leg muscles did it would be a super useful feature.

Participant

Many times yes to above-mentioned.
    And for reference you may check Pillars of Eternity combat log. It also supports tooltip for more detailed info about rolls which improves readability, IMO.

Please, do not disregard importance of detailed battle log as it could really help with learning curve for new players.

Participant

i’ll jump in and quote myself from a previous bug report (unrelated to the OP), because i do also think the combat log should be looked at to actually do something for the player :p
    As it is now, it is somewhat useless and clutter the UI, but the collapsed state makes it discrete enough.

[…unrelated…]

Also, on that note of “Combat Log”, i would *love* a better logging format. As examples :

<Attacker> [AtkType:swings|shoots] at <Target> and [AtkResult:misses!|hits <BodyPart> for <ArmorDamage> and <HealthDamage>!]
    or
    <Attacker> uses <attack skill> on <Target> and [AtkResult:misses!|hits <BodyPart> for <ArmorDamage> and <HealthDamage>!]

(the 2 handed axe needs a specific case to reflect the “double hit” Head+Torso)
    – If Target dies, extra line “<Target> was killed by <Attacker>!”
    – If Target is wounded, extra line “<Target> suffers <Wound> from <Attacker>’s attack!”
    – <Target>’s [Head|Torso]’s armor is shredded by <Attacker>’s attack!
    Etc.

Cheers :)

(disregard the part on 2H Axe/adjust to how it works)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.