Topic: Game tinkering

• Author
    Participant

I wonder if devs even read posts on this forum. We can +1 all we want but without any response from them it’s all pointless.

Participant

DEVS reveal thy selves

Participant

They read but probably they don’t want you tell things that you want to hear.
    Simply speaking looking at game files its either all or nothing. Unless devs would spend time and resources to make some separate editors which is unlikely.
    Non compiled files would be probably make it for extremely easy pirating and abundance of mods could make selling DLC and expansions less profitable. Still I don’t think so that somebody could make graphics mods that can challenge Psen.
    Its simple about money and control. So its not gonna happen. Probably.
    Still if this game would be easily to mod it could probably get similar following to Mount and Blade. Full conversion mods even in post Apocalyptic or sf worlds would be awesome addition.
    Heck even small balancing changes to items, perks, enemies, contracts and economy would be great. Not even mention that some mods even in EA could be used for testing and balancing purposes.

Participant

Additionally, you already more or less had an answer to this question through a statement out of the FAQ:

Will there be mod support?

Yes, we’d like to support modding eventually. However, our resources are limited and our priority is in creating the best possible core game first. It could be a while until modding becomes possible, if at all, and we can’t make any promises at this time.

So the most important things are answered:
    Is it gonna happen? Maybe.
    When? They aren’t sure.

Participant

Simply speaking looking at game files its either all or nothing. Unless devs would spend time and resources to make some separate editors which is unlikely.

Like I said so many times. No one cares about mod support and dev-made editors and tools… If they release their tools – great. But if they don’t no one will cry about it. Modders will find way around and make their own tools as they did so many times before. There are no resources nor time needed to be spend. It would cost them literally nothing and could bring game to the whole different level.

Non compiled files would be probably make it for extremely easy pirating and abundance of mods could make selling DLC and expansions less profitable. Still I don’t think so that somebody could make graphics mods that can challenge Psen.

Is there any drm protection in Battle Brothers? It’s not like BB is huge blockbuster that can afford to pay milions (not sure how many drm costs for AAA games :P) to protect their game. If someone wanted to pirate it then he did it loooong time ago. Do they even plan to release DLC? Did you play many indie, sandbox games lately? Because beside RTS this is my favourite genre. Over last few years we are witnessing real boom for sandbox games and I played big chunk of them. Almost every game gives you acces to files to support modders as much as they can. Because small studios live and die on their players whim. People will pay simply to support creators of their favourite game. But if you don’t respect your fans and perceive them as nothing more than wallets with legs then you’ll share fate of many others who dreamed of creating another minecraft but in the end no one ever heard of them again.
    Sure, Psen’s art is great but you don’t mod a lot do you ;)? At some point someone, somewhere will release graphics mod that will blow even devs minds. Even if only for a challenge.

Its simple about money and control. So its not gonna happen. Probably.

GOD! I hate this mentality! Over the years gamers and developers forgot about one simple truth. They are here for US not the other way around. They want money and control? They won’t have either one of them if they start pissing on their community.

Participant

I wonder if devs even read posts on this forum. We can +1 all we want but without any response from them it’s all pointless.

In short: yes. They do not always respond but they do read this forum and the Steam forum (and the RPG Codex one).

Inactive

C’mon man, don’t be too hard on the devs. They certainly care about their game and the community around it, but there must be a reason for this lack of mod availability. If they decompress the files, nice, but if they don’t right now, just don’t assume they don’t care about us. We don’t know about their workload, it’s only a small team.

As much as I agree with you about the importance of modding, we need to be patient.

By the way, Starsector is completely different from BB, but it is great in its own way, one of the few ship combat games I like, it has a kind of Mount & Blade feeling to it, but in space… amazing!

Participant

They do read and reply (ive seen it).

Personally i think they have some sort of typical corporate problem.

For example they have some investor to whom theyve “sold” a game with a development plan. It includes stuff thats intended to be done per week and month for some time (like 6 months or w/e). They know that there are cool things that they could do – like give us some actual game content instead of designing and redesigning underlaying systems (stuff we cant really mostly see); but they cant. Because they have a schedule they have to stick to and so they rather not reply.

Participant

C’mon man, don’t be too hard on the devs. They certainly care about their game and the community around it, but there must be a reason for this lack of mod availability. If they decompress the files, nice, but if they don’t right now, just don’t assume they don’t care about us. We don’t know about their workload, it’s only a small team.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all about indie games. In the sea of AAA crap and companies shoving another CoD, fifa, battlefield, nfs down our throats year after year, over and over again indie market is like oasis in the middle of a frickin’ desert. I love fresh ideas and intresting mechanics of indie games and it’s awesome that they are thriving. The only reason why I am picking this fight is that Battle Brothers is a great game and makes me care enough to do so. There is so much potential… It would be a real shame to watch it go to waste. All I am asking for is simple answer so I can understand logic behind devs decision. Because from where I stand there is no logical downside to modding.

Inactive

I see your point, it may even get more to you because you are a modder, right? Done just a few modding myself, but nothing too major, and I understand the potential. Well let us see where this goes, hope we get an answer soon…

Inactive

The dream is dead. Still no answer why can’t they give us script files in text form. Makes me sad :(

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.