Topic: Helmets

Tagged: 

• Author
    Participant

1) The mail nasal helm and kettle helm have -2 vision, but the flat top helm with mail has -1 vision. Is this right?
    2) How come the great helm has only 300 hit points while the strongest armour has 320?

Keymaster

1) No, that’s not right. I’ve fixed it.
    2) You may be thinking of the Full Helm. The Great Helm has 320 armorpoints.

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

I’ve never seen the Great Helm. Does anyone have a picture?

Participant

Participant

I’m going to hijack this thread for a moment, since my question is also related to helmets.
    Does anyone know if there is a feature planned to turn off the visualisation of helmets ingame?

I mean, don’t get me wrong.
    They look awesome and I really like the aspect that they wittle down visibly when they have to endure much damage.
    But the beards and hair of the characters is plain awesome, too.
    It is a shame that I never see it again after the start, because it is quite a bit risky to go into battle without any headwear.
    Therefore, an option to turn the visualisation of the helmets manually off and on would be neat.

And to answer the original post:
    Nope. Even after more than sixty ingame hours, I have not seen a helmet with an armour of more than 300.

Plague Rats - we're not famous, but we get the job done.

Participant

I’m going to hijack this thread for a moment, since my question is also related to helmets.
    Does anyone know if there is a feature planned to turn off the visualisation of helmets ingame?

I mean, don’t get me wrong.
    They look awesome and I really like the aspect that they wittle down visibly when they have to endure much damage.
    But the beards and hair of the characters is plain awesome, too.
    It is a shame that I never see it again after the start, because it is quite a bit risky to go into battle without any headwear.
    Therefore, an option to turn the visualisation of the helmets manually off and on would be neat.

And to answer the original post:
    Nope. Even after more than sixty ingame hours, I have not seen a helmet with an armour of more than 300.

Either that, or change how “headshots” work, or incentivize going without a helmet more. Right now, going without headgear is probably the worst mistake you can make, and there’s no real trade-off for wearing it. Vision hasn’t been an issue for me so far, and fatigue loss isn’t that bad either. Now, in and of itself the “helmet standard” isn’t a problem, but it really takes away from the great character visualization, and IMHO also hampers unit identification (which is more of an UI issue, which’ll get tackled later on anyway).

Participant

That’s the thing though, going without a helmet into combat is just about the worst mistake you can make. Not having a helmet is something for movies, as you’d just die without one in a fight.
    Toggling them on and off would also conflict with the idea of everything that you see on the map actually being there and would remove an important visual short-hand for what state your merc is in.

However, If you need help identifying your merc, how about having a portrait of the unit’s head in the command UI on the bottom, in addition to the name? It would need to be unobtrusive, so I don’t have a mental image of how you’d make it work without conflicting with the design, but it’s something that the future UI programmer might be able to pull off.

Participant

>> 2) How come the great helm has only 300 hit points while the strongest armour has 320?
    Gaiz, I don’t understand OP’s second question but I’m a little curious. Is he saying the strongest helm should have same hit points as strongest armor?
    ======================================================================

>> I’ve never seen the Great Helm. Does anyone have a picture?

Oh, you. (〃・ิ‿・ิ)ゞ

>> Even after more than sixty ingame hours, I have not seen a helmet with an armour of more than 300.
    What… you too? Σ( ̄。 ̄ノ)

Tsk tsk tsk.
    You people……
    How dense (´・ー・`)
    Gaiz, take a hint already.

It’s NEW CONTENT.
    Does this explain what Rap was saying?
    *Cough* *cough* Seriously, anyone seen the great helm? Also, this helm. I’ve never seen it in any store.

======================================================================
    When GOD mentioned about identifying our men, I suddenly imagine about 12 brothers equipping the same equipment…..

Can we have 12 different indicators/pointers (preferably with different colors) above the head of our men? Maybe something like this, ace melee unit has gold sword icon above his head, melee unit with best defensive ability has a blue shield icon, and it’s all your choice. When 30 v 30, you don’t have to look hard to find your brothers among your allied force. Most importantly, you’re now very clear about the position of your men. That’s probably crucial to a good battle plan.

P.S.
    By the way, now I using logo on shield to identify my men more easily. (though all of my men are quite characteristic)

Participant

That’s the thing though, going without a helmet into combat is just about the worst mistake you can make. Not having a helmet is something for movies, as you’d just die without one in a fight.
    Toggling them on and off would also conflict with the idea of everything that you see on the map actually being there and would remove an important visual short-hand for what state your merc is in.

I agree on that one in so far, that the visual aspect of seeing how well protected the heads of your BattleBrothers are is a very important point.
    Which is why I suggest an option to toggle it on or off – that way, each player could decide for themselves if they rather go with one or the other.
    I mean, just take a look at the picture of the latest dev blog: Nine characters, of which five have no helmet.
    Just because it looks nice if not everyone is armoured up all the way to their noses.
    There might be a better way to do so instead of the option to toggle the appearance on or off, of course.

Plague Rats - we're not famous, but we get the job done.

Participant

However, If you need help identifying your merc, how about having a portrait of the unit’s head in the command UI on the bottom, in addition to the name? It would need to be unobtrusive, so I don’t have a mental image of how you’d make it work without conflicting with the design, but it’s something that the future UI programmer might be able to pull off.

I agree with you that going without a helmet would probably result in quick death in combat. However, I am unsure whether actual medieval helmets offered that much protection against blows, and if their defensive value actually outweighed the costs of wearing them, but that is a question that leads to endless debate and most likely not to fun gameplay :)

I do still feel that identifying mercs is more difficult than it should be. Maybe the subject should be left to the eventual UI design, but it should not be forgotten. The unobstructed face in the command is actually a neat idea. It could appear right next to the name (which should definitely show the title, as the ID issue gets only worse when several mercs have the same name :) )

Participant

This sure needs to be resolved. But as for now the UI has like no information especially in a battle. Key functions are missing like representing the item durability, removing the need to go in a different management window to swap items or pick up from ground, etc.. Maybe the ability to see the char names somewhere or being able to customize color or even tabards on the characters will help. As for now try to equip different armor and different shields… I guess…

Participant

Hey guys do we have a Bascinet helmet (a.k.a Pigface Helmet)?

Just in case someone doesn’t know what is it:
    Pigface Helmet

Participant

I don’t know if you’re someone really knowledgeable or what…. but I would bet 5 cents to say it is chickenface helmet.

Participant

As far as I know, it’s not in at this point. The earliest form of the bascinet got introduced around late 13th century, I think. That’s outside of the planned time-range and it was also far more prevalent in the 14th and 15th century, but it’s not that far off and doesn’t represent a drastic shift in armour technology (like plate). So, maybe it’ll get added?

Participant

It’s a pretty nice medieval helmet… and Mana Seed, no it’s not Chickenface helmet lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.