Topic: New lvl up stat distribution system

• Author
    Participant

First of all let me start with saying that this is an interesting and effective way of stat lvling in my opinion. Now with the information of the exact amount it is far less annoying to get low grades since as a player I do have a choise now. With this it is far more transparent, tho still heavily random and that does resolve in some strangely low stat increases on the “main” stats. On the other hand now since all the stats are visible you can see the huge difference in the randomed numbers.

Just now 4 of my guys lvled up. Two were okeish with at least one high main stat, one was a total dull with tonns of 1n2s while one was like superman having all 3-4 all around.

This makes me make a choise at the very first lvl up to what direction to go with each of those man but leaving with the uncertainty of the randomness of the next lvls. Will I be able to make him what I want or will he morph in something else. Personally for me this is good, I do like it. For others this might be a problem. Also the removing the save load stat improvement.

What I think would improve this system, is to remove the full randomnes. To bind the lvl up stats to the hirelings background. Even if just plain modifier of +1 or +2 to one or two of the stats would make a huge difference and would give a new more deep meaning to the backgrounds while making the stat lvl up more constant and rng. All the backgrounds would have their primary and secoundary stat that effect the game, team composition, and player choises decreasing annoyances but at the same would leave room for nice random surprises.

With this the backgrounds would have a different management and tactical value other than the money cost and vages. Leaving the player with a lot more options and decisions to make and that is good, the more control the player has and the less rng is involved(to certain degree) the better. Now you’d have to think about the hire cost and vages not only as is (the bonuses, the equip) but as will be (what potential stats can be achived). Different settlement types would get a bigger role aswell when you looking for backgrounds more suited for your playstyle. It will allow for more playthroughs since a lot more variables will be aviable. New synergy could be found between the backgrounds stats perks and roles. Also would make the start of the game more fluent and the scaling less drastical.

What do you think about the new lvl up stat system? About the background-stat dependency? What and how would you change the current system? How did your lvl ups go, what contrasts have you encountered?

Participant

Personally, I think about it for a long time

Suggestion №…

I am very pleased that such proposals appears more and more.
    I am opposed to rng as such. I do not like that my tactical game determines random. both in the lvl up system and the start battles – there is generally a complete disgrace. your tactical decision to influence the outcome of the fight is minimal. You can miss 6 times by enemy, who standing on the lower level with a chance of 70%, and he will hit you 2 times in the head with a raised shield. Your mercenary 2 times can hit the opponent’s helmet which is left no more body armor and 1 HP. Because so decided random and rng – no let me much longer to decide by myself, ok?
    In short – I like your proposal. All of which makes this a perfect game less random and more tactics – I like.

Participant

Based on my 30 or so hours of playtime, I would approve of changing stats to be background deterministic. It would make a clear divide between the non-combat oriented backgrounds and the combat oriented ones. Right now they just have some base higher stats and events, with a huge price tag upgrade in comparison to say a wildman or brawler (which are currently on their way to becoming my favorite backgrounds).

Would this discourage the use of some backgrounds? Absolutely, but it also won’t encourage people to play the high priced backgrounds as much either. Think about it:
    If you want a tanky character, you can easily go with the farm hand or the hedge knight.
    If you want a melee dps character, you can easily go with the killer on the run, hedge knight, sellsword, adventurous noble, wildman or brawler.
    If you want an archer dps character, you can easily go with sellsword, a witchhunter and I’m sure a few others.

Which means that each background still has its own inherent value. Are there a few that have very little use? Well yeah, but they can also be cheaper to be used as cannon fodder. Your first few hires are probably like that anyway, fishermen and such, whatever you can find and afford.

Participant

Do not like a removal of randomness at all.
    There are games with everything fixed. Like Warlock. And there are games where dices are rolling. No need to mix them. Are you content with damage randomness? When you want to remove bad rolls you also remove good rolls. For the sake of your unbelieveng that rolls in the mass are averagly equally fair to you.

Participant

Do not like the idea of bounding to background more than it is already now. Battle characters have their boost from the start. +10 in melee skill for sellsword means 4-10 level ups! Almost half. And there are other bonuses too. Sellswords are way better than tailors already. Even +1 for every roll for them will make their advantage huge. Give farmhands a chance, not every sellsword was born a sellsword, matbe some of them were apprentices or fishers in early days, so why neglect modest backgrounds.

Participant

Do not like a removal of randomness at all.
    There are games with everything fixed. Like Warlock. And there are games where dices are rolling. No need to mix them. Are you content with damage randomness? When you want to remove bad rolls you also remove good rolls. For the sake of your unbelieveng that rolls in the mass are averagly equally fair to you.

I’m not quite sure I follow you. I don’t know what you mean there are games with dice rolling etc etc. Random numbers are pretty much the core of every game that has ranges. RPG elements such as character development are almost never purely random, while their attack and defense rolls usually are. By proposing that stats become more background deterministic you don’t remove all that much randomness from the game — you just make it more consistent. Backgrounds are still random, their starting stats are still random it is simply how you develop them that is not.

And actually I believe the farm hand makes an excellent front line soldier, give him a spear (easier to hit), a shield, and the heaviest armour you can find (he has a high health and stamina pool) — does just fine.

Participant

And actually I believe the farm hand makes an excellent front line soldier, give him a spear (easier to hit), a shield, and the heaviest armour you can find (he has a high health and stamina pool) — does just fine.

Precisely. And traits could make him even better at it. If he turns out to be a drunkard, there’s nothing wrong with shoving a pike into his hand and making him a two-handed backliner, either. Pikes have a bonus to hit as well, and the pike puts the damage boost to good use.

I think the random factor should remain. I’m okay with backgrounds affecting the likelihood of certain results… but they should still be random.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.