Topic: Paul´s Art Corner

• Author
    Keymaster

Have a look at my painting process for the new main menue screen. Unfortunately I didnt make too many screenshots in the early phase, but here goes.

Main Menue Progress

Overhype Studios - Let´s roll!

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Beautiful, its like magic!

Participant

Nothing new? ^^

Having the old and the new starting screen in direct comparison, one can see the huge improvement made.
    I think of the merc depicted on the left, that he must have or had a leading position, since he stands so upright(he has to act as a model after all), compared to the other two, who seem to be a little more worn out.
    But exactly that is awesome. It shows that such a way of living comes at a cost – it wears you out, emaciates you. That is why I would have loved it, if you would have kept the sitting merc smoking (He does smoke a pipe, doesn’t he?). It would have emphasized, the wearing-out effect, but also makes him appear to brood about something(perhaps about recent events or he is questioning the live he chose, and with the look at the city in the distance, maybe even hoping for a better future).
    As it is now, with his torso bent forward while sitting but his head held high, he seems to be apathetic, the only one, that is not looking at their destination. If the two do look at their destination, then, I think, the head of the one with the boar spear is turned a little bit too far to the right; nothing of his face should be seen, but one can see the right eye slit of his helmet, so he must look at something more to the right – the ocean?

But I guess, it is finished and won’t be touched again, will it?

Participant

Out of curiosity, can you tell us what your present art project for Battle Brothers is, Psen?

Keymaster

Hey Love Gun,
    thanks for the in depth thoughts :)
    You are right, the merc on the left has turned his head a little too far to be looking at the city. I started out with him facing the city directly but it looked kinda awkward with the mail coif if you cant see anything of the face.
    I also liked the pipe on the sitting merc, but was a little hesitant because it may have looked relaxed or peaceful :)

Out of curiosity, can you tell us what your present art project for Battle Brothers is, Psen?

Heres what I have been working on yesterday (still wont be shown officially until tomorrow, so keep quiet ;)
    A new look for the Direwolves (formerly known as werewolves)
    Direwolves
    Apart from that I just started work on the combat tiles. Nothing spectacular to show yet as I start out with repainting the old tiles (grass etc).
    Cheers!

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

now Diewolves looks more dangerous :) by the way – new( am i rigth?) sounds of Diewolves and orcs – very good

Keymaster

Yes they also have new sounds.
    BTW: There was a typo: it should be DIREwolves not Diewolves hehe.

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

the so-called typo (disclaimer) by Sigmund Freud. in our game all the Dire wolf should be Die wolves :)

by the way #2
    Dear Paul. I understand that you are now a lot of trouble after the update is much more important, but I decided to draw your attention to the fact that some of the images have errors
    1. it is a small mistake in my favorite ax :)
    2. I spent a bit of time to make a screenshot – so it was clearly understood that the equipment of certain weapons mercenary icon changes its size. reduced gear picture at most named two-handed axes, crossbow overseer some weapons orcs. green mark – a standard size picture with conventional weapons and without it -red where the image is reduced. I hope this helps you for further work on the improvement of the beautiful game.

Participant

You are right, the merc on the left has turned his head a little too far to be looking at the city. I started out with him facing the city directly but it looked kinda awkward with the mail coif if you cant see anything of the face.
    I also liked the pipe on the sitting merc, but was a little hesitant because it may have looked relaxed or peaceful :)

In my opinion you had it spot-on on the picture with the smoking merc.
    All three looking at the city, would have had a sense of unity, although they appear to be quite different characters(due to their different poses and by association their mindsets), they have a common goal.
    With the sitting merc smoking it has a semblance of calm, the calm before the storm considering the dark, overcast sky, and underneath a peaceful town(smoke rising from the chimneys) making me think they will have to do an inglorious job there, in this unsuspecting town. And now they are resting for the last time, but there are no jokes, no talking, just pondering: Will we make it; How many will survive this time; Will I survive; Is it really worth it? Considering the castle and only some sunrays breaking through the clouded sky, there is little hope for success.

Heres what I have been working on yesterday (still wont be shown officially until tomorrow, so keep quiet ?
    A new look for the Direwolves (formerly known as werewolves)

What drove those fellas mad? Did they got their heads banged too hard? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaivSqwgAvk

Apart from that I just started work on the combat tiles. Nothing spectacular to show yet as I start out with repainting the old tiles (grass etc).
    Cheers!

Don’t let us wait a month again.^^

Keymaster

What drove those fellas mad?

Thats what happens to all the puppies who get abandoned at the highway when the kids are tired of them :)

Don’t let us wait a month again.^^

Dont worry, you will get your candy a lot more frequently from now on :)

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

There is something about the way you draw stuff…

I cant quite put my fingers on it…

The battles, specially after your people get bloodied a bit, some heads start to fly around, they are sooooooooo aesthetically pleasing. There are very few games that do this for me.

Keymaster

There is something about the way you draw stuff…

Thanks man,
    its a totally different style, but the feeling I wanted to convey when you watch the battle unfold is the feeling you have when looking at pictures from the Morgan Bible. Abhorrent and fascinating at the same time. Especially when you realize that the depictions are pretty much historically accurate.

Morgan

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Inactive

Carnage S2

Participant

The tactical battles really look awesome, so many details with wounds and different faces and armors.
    The concept is pretty simple, but you guys have really made it feel alive, and all the characters on the board look so lovingly made.
    Keep up the good work :)

On a side note. I once read a fantasy novel in which there was a mercenary company with a fox on it’s banner.
    When the captain was asked why they hade a fox and not a bear or a lion he replied: “Bears are strong, lions are brave. That’s all well and good but a mercenary needs cunning to stay alive.”

So if you have the time somewhere during development would you consider adding a fox banner perhaps?

Keymaster

Banner rework is on my list. It will definitely happen before launch, but I cant tell you exactly when.
    The exact looks and styles are still to be defined, but a fox is a good idea :)

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 1,776 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.