Topic: Recognising elevation

• Author
    Participant

Am I the only one with this issue? I’m having a lot of trouble recognising elevation of tiles on the map, even with the options of pulling the elevation up and down and flipping the map over using the . It’s especially noticeable in the “Defend the Hill” scenario since holding chokepoints matters so much in that battle and if I misread it an enemy will get past my poor guy and start wailing on me.

I just wish the borders are highlighted for elevated parts of tiles. Or some indication in the tooltip how elevated the tile is when I mouseover the tile. Or it’s made easier to see when the elevation is high enough that you can’t melee attack over it.

Participant

Keep trying. I had troubles, too, at first but got used to it. Also most battles in the campaign don’t have so complex terrain like the “Defend the Hill” scenario, so you will be fine.

Highlights aren’t very good for the immersion. The game really tries not to use flashy colours or lines. That’s why you can hide the healthbars with alt. But tooltip could work.

Participant

I won’t force people to use the highlights, gimme options “Highlight elevated terrain” in the options menu. Think the tooltip giving info on elevation is easy to implement.

I’m not big on immersion in general, especially for a tactical games where you don’t even have a character that represents you the player on the battlefield. That’s just my personal feelings though, I get that the realistic weapons/armor and skills are there to cater for players who want immersion.

Keymaster

The tooltip already tells the level of elevation in the top left corner. There’s probably more we can and should do to make terrain elevation a bit clearer to see in the long run, but it’s not a high priority task for us right now. The Defend the Hill scenario is an extreme case made specifically for testing usability issues with height level differences.

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Here is a ss that shows the elevation representation in the tooltip.

Attachments:
    Participant

So that’s what that means. I’d wondered but had no idea what it was for.

Participant

Here is a ss that shows the elevation representation in the tooltip.

…OH. THAT’S what that thing is for! @.@ Right, now I know. Wish I knew that a little earlier lol. Thank you Sky.

Participant

Didn’t know that either. It looked more like a level-up bar to me, though without actually showing you when you level-up so it’s purpose eluded me. It didn’t seem that important, so I’d just started to ignore it.

Participant

I have difficulties with this as well. I tried to escape an orc ambush over a hillside today, and it was really hard to find out whether my men were already on the edge of the battlefield.

Also, I’ve never noticed that elevation marker :D

Participant

Well, then let me ask you if you know about the ctrl key in battle that swaps the up n down?

Participant

Well, then let me ask you if you know about the ctrl key in battle that swaps the up n down?

Not only do I not know about the ctrl key, I don’t know what you mean by swapping up and down…

Keymaster

The ctrl key rotates the view by 180°. There’s a bunch of buttons in the top right of the tactical combat UI (including tooltips that tell of their hotkeys) that many people seem to miss.

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

I gauged elevation and possible approaches in combat demo by checking where (and through what) your characters can walk in order to get to higher/lower ground. It helps when you start to develop a sense of elevation. I had no idea there is “an elevation tooltip”.

Participant

The ctrl key rotates the view by 180°. There’s a bunch of buttons in the top right of the tactical combat UI (including tooltips that tell of their hotkeys) that many people seem to miss.

Okay, I know about that. How Left/Right equates with Up/Down is what confused me.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.