Reply To: a team with 12 xbows is just too op

Participant

As someone already said in BB the only real limit is your imagination for tactics, almost anything works if you can play it out.

^ Pretty much this.

I had a playthrough that absolutely decimated in which I used 0 shields, but it was very much a brute force band: several two-handed-weapons guys, two Weapon Masters with nimble builds to tie up orcs / similarly tough enemies, a horn blower, a few crossbowmen, and a Confident stick with a crossbow. It worked pretty well, though I eventually tried it with two horn blowers and found that to be satisfying. Point being: even though the shield wall is the go-to tool to have, there are lots of other ways to fight enemies.

I’m personally a fan of two handed weapons. I always start my brothers out using shields, but slowly transition toward carrying pikes, two-handed swords, orcish axes and warbrands. The only weaknesses with such a setup are fighting folks with crossbows or fighting goblins. Outlaws are generally too weak to be a threat and orcs are pretty much mincemeat once pressed with enough two-handed weapons. I might keep a couple guys with spears around to contend with leaping orcs.