Topic: a team with 12 xbows is just too op

• Author
    Participant

Absolutely wrecks everything -_-

Participant

Very informative post :)

All life's problems can be solved with a bayonet charge.

Inactive

Large numbers of orc warriors?

Participant

Very informative post :)

Hahaha well, it’s true. The most cheesy way to play this game now is just to have 12 crossbows and then keep 12 more in your inventory so that you can fire up to 24 bolts at your enemies on the first round of combat :D :D :D

Your mercs gears should look like this: Xbow+Xbow+two handed weapon+bolts+Quick Hand perk

Participant

Oh great tactician! Will descend upon us your Holy video where you are so ingenious imba tactics win 14 fallen heroes with the lost souls of the bargain or 12 Orc Warrior with the leader?
    Are looking forward to…
    On business: this game is perfect so that almost everyone makes it possible to come up with their own ingenious tactics in his opinion, but then you come across an enemy, or you will miss six times with a chance to get 80% … and start a new game

Participant

I’m sorry but that’s a silly argument. My team can still do the ordinary stuff, wear heavy armor and, with the bags and pelts perk, equip with shield. They are not weak in the melee rounds at all. It’s just that they can fire like 20 to 24 more bolts than a “normal” team. (If the enemies don’t close distance immediately in the first round, then it’s maximum 36 more bolts in total) I honestly don’t see how any other team can beat that damage. Normally the enemy ranks are just decimated in the first or second round and some of the survivors just outright start fleeing. The same tactics work with extremely powerful enemies too, as their armors’ll be chipped away quite a lot by the time they enter melee range. And that’s way better than meleeing them when they’re 100% healthy, in my opinion.

Participant

Good job you just discovered that shooting enemies before slashing them is better than doing nothing and then slashing them. Shouldn’t it be?

Participant

Quick question: how have you been distributing your stat points? Because to make this team effective you’d generally have points put into both melee combat and ranged combat. Which means some other combat statistic has to give. The third is probably going into stamina… or health?

Participant

Quick question: how have you been distributing your stat points? Because to make this team effective you’d generally have points put into both melee combat and ranged combat. Which means some other combat statistic has to give. The third is probably going into stamina… or health?

Hi, it usually depends on the individual brother that you’re leveling up. If he’s too low on health, focus on bringing it up to 60 first. If he’s too low on fatigue, bring it up to at least 80 (with 110 basic chain mail equipped). But yeah, the basic idea is to level up melee and range attack on every level, and then focus on leveling up melee defense after health and fatigue are sufficiently leveled up. (Farmhand, Wildman and Hunter brothers are awesome)

Personally I think fatigue isn’t that important in this build as the battles are usually over by the time your 80 fatigue guys get tired in melee. Don’t try to use crazy orc weapons though :D

Participant

Hi, it usually depends on the individual brother that you’re leveling up. If he’s too low on health, focus on bringing it up to 60 first. If he’s too low on fatigue, bring it up to at least 80 (with 110 basic chain mail equipped). But yeah, the basic idea is to level up melee and range attack on every level, and then focus on leveling up melee defense after health and fatigue are sufficiently leveled up. (Farmhand, Wildman and Hunter brothers are awesome)

Personally I think fatigue isn’t that important in this build as the battles are usually over by the time your 80 fatigue guys get tired in melee. Don’t try to use crazy orc weapons though ?

Interesting. I’ve considered leveling up ranged as well as melee for my peeps because I wanted them to use javelins. I hesitated for this reason as I was afraid my troops were too fragile due to lack of melee defence. The range of your crossbows and the fact that you use two sets takes care of this quite well. I guess your team can be considered an aggressive build that counts on crushing the main bulk of enemy forces before their lack of defences becomes an issue. Especially since they all use two-handed weapons once the stragglers close in.

I may give this a try to see how it compares to a more balanced team (which I should note also has no problem winning battles without casualties). I’m a little worried about enemy fire due to lack of shields, but goblins tend not to use much shields themselves and your team simply out DPS-es them.

Participant

Thanks for the thoughtful comment! I just wanna note that the bags and pelts perk completely solves the shield problem…7 of your guys can start the battle with shields in their hands so that the formation is solid and nobody gets a lucky(unlucky?) goblin poison arrow to the knee on the first round :D

The amazing thing is that those 7 guys can still fire 2 bolts on the first round!

You start out holding a shield: 0 AP for quick hand switch to 1st xbow + 2 AP to fire + 4 AP to switch to 2nd xbow + 2 AP to fire = 8 AP in total, which can be done since everyone has 9 AP (but not sure if this will change in future game versions)

SO yeah, grab fast adaptation ASAP and then go straight for quick hand and bags and pelts.

Though I do wish there’ll be an easier way to switch weapons. It’s a hassle as of now. XCOM 2 handles this part quite well, so maybe implement something similar? :)

Participant

Thanks for the thoughtful comment! I just wanna note that the bags and pelts perk completely solves the shield problem…7 of your guys can start the battle with shields in their hands so that the formation is solid and nobody gets a lucky(unlucky?) goblin poison arrow to the knee on the first round ?

The amazing thing is that those 7 guys can still fire 2 bolts on the first round!

You start out holding a shield: 0 AP for quick hand switch to 1st xbow + 2 AP to fire + 4 AP to switch to 2nd xbow + 2 AP to fire = 8 AP in total, which can be done since everyone has 9 AP (but not sure if this will change in future game versions)

SO yeah, grab fast adaptation ASAP and then go straight for quick hand and bags and pelts.

Though I do wish there’ll be an easier way to switch weapons. It’s a hassle as of now. XCOM 2 handles this part quite well, so maybe implement something similar? :)

If you do that, as soon as they’re caught in melee they’ll have to punch their way out as they don’t have a melee weapon. But goblins tend not to rush in so I suppose that’s less of an issue with them anyway.

Participant

What? No :D :D :D With the bags and belts perk you get 4 slots, so your merc’s gear’d look like this: xbow+xbow+spear+shield.

Participant

But vs Orcs, this strategy should fail.Better to take extra shield :) What about werewolfes? They charge into melee very fast..

All life's problems can be solved with a bayonet charge.

Participant

I am sorry too, but i did not offer “silly” arguments. I just asked for the opportunity to show the video where your tactics actually work against serious opponents. But if I see a video that here it will argument- not ‘silly’ argument in your favor. My experience of playing in the BB enough to know exactly what tactics are working and which are not. Of course, if you are level 11 characters attack the bandits – then work any tactics. But the realities of level up mercenaries in unpatched versions of the game (yet) such that you can not make universal soldier – and if your fighter can effectively (I mean against challenging opponents) to use the crossbow (with appropriate perks) it must be an expert in this – and that means he had no points at pumping enough protection abilities or attack ins close fight. Fnd when such a fighter come into close combat with 3 orc’s warriors… they tucked him his crossbow…you know where. That’s all.

UPD
    Forget. I see that this dispute hopeless and meaningless.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.