I apologize in advance if I’m mentioning stated/redundant points because I didn’t read any post (except the first) in this thread. I’m new to this game so I wanna explore the game myself. Also, I’m kinda noob in strategy game like this so don’t expect reliable ideas.
0) Why can they own me while we’re both wearing the same thing? –> Are you sure you’re wearing the same gear? Did you pay attention to the way they move and strike? Try and mimic your human enemies. You will pick up a lot of essential basic stuff.
1) pick your fight –> Though not stated, you have “The Hedgehog” passive buff. On world map, you always move slightly faster than any other unit. So you can outrun/bully anyone of your choice. But you have to pay attention when you approach forest, as units in forest can only be detected when you’re very near. Yes, it might be too late to turn back when you noticed them, so be ready to press pause.
2) picked the wrong fight –> somehow the randomly generated terrain doesn’t suit your taste or you’ve just found out that 1 orc is as strong as 2.5 human, load game or retreat. DO NOT fight a battle which you think there is 75% chance to lose.
3) if you can’t beat em, join…. -> Ahem, join ANOTHER team. Run for the nearest guard tower, they will deploy “the punishers” if hostile unit is nearby. Are punishers really punishing? Can they be defeated? IF they’re defeated………. the guard tower will deploy another team of punisher until………. the enemy is punished. If you’re too weak to kill steal for exp in the co-op battle, you can still obtain equipments if your side emerge victorious.
3b) I like popcorns and I insist to see caravans suffer –> lure an enemy unit into the caravan, now sit back and watch. (I’ve never tried this myself, it’s too inhumane)
4) why do you need archers? –> They have low DPS and you always have to protect them. But sometimes, God of Terrain favors you. Your team might appear on high hills (by the time enemy detours to your picnic location, half of them is dead. But this only applies to light armored enemy.) or natural tree fortress (with very few entrance to guard). IMO, make ¼ of your team as archers is a good idea in mid phase of the game, before your team turn into heavy armored units or armorless berserkers/assassins(melee unit with perk Perfect Focus)
5) watch your steps –> all friends and foes can move 4 grids/steps per turn (except werewolf). If you stand at the 4th grid in front of an enemy, he can only get close with insufficient AP to attack you. This will enable you to have far better planning in battle.
6) I noticed the armor breaking wpn is only good at breaking armor –> yes, you’re right. I can tell you slashing wpn will not harm armor much too. In order to kill enemy efficiently, you need two types of weapon. You can assign half of your melee units to equip armor breaking wpn. Or, get both Quick Hands & Bag and Pelts perks. This is more devastating than any first tier perk in offense category.
7) Shift the frontline –> The “frontline” enables your unit to face a maximum of 2 enemy units. Of course, if you feel lucky today you can cope 6 enemies with a unit with Shieldwall. Why do you need to control the frontline? Because enemy is a tactic genius. They tend to swarm towards the upper/lower end of your frontline OR the weak spot of your frontline (your fragile units included archers and units without shields). It’s very clever as they bully your vulnerable units with larger numbers and rendering your ace melee units unproductive. So make sure you adjust the frontline or formation timely.
8) I’m a tactician but also The Manager –> Reload the game when stats gained is not quite favorable. Expel the high level faithful buddy who fought life and death battles with you, if he has low stats at level 1. Replace his position with a genius (with high stats at lv 1). Why do I have to do these painstaking and cruel things? Because this is the only way to the Ultimate Team.
9) I insisted to fight orcs anyway, even I’m not a fan of LOTR –> you knew orcs warriors have A LOT of head+body armor, a lot of hp, and with devastating wpn. Ranged units have no way to defeat them (only scratch the orcs a little before death arrives). You must rely on melee units. The core essence of melee battle is, let’s see who have better weapons and armors, and nobody is going to stop until someone dies. Because AoC(Area of Control) system doesn’t allow you to leave (or it’s not wise to leave). Long story short, your units need to reach certain level, picked the correct perks, and has sufficient armor in order to defeat the orcs. So you can only overpower them, but not outwit them.