>> But then maybe this is an unfair test for archers, since Orcs come straight forward and are heavily armored and tough to kill.
No test is unfair for any roles, unless that role has been given privilege to skip certain battles.
It’s only unfair if you evaluate a role based on one kind of test.
Invictus: Still, I can’t find a better enemy to test comparative DPS.
Saito: I don’t think you’ll ever get close to melee dps guys, but they serve a different role. Late game mass archers can tear up most enemy formations pretty effectively.
Different role, yes. Tear up enemy formation, no.
LOL. Have you ever seen enemy using special formations or regrouping?
Yes, orc warrior can tear up player’s formation. LOL I can understand your desire to get revenge on orcs for tearing up your formation. But you can’t tear up enemy’s formation because they have none. They will either advance or hold ground (hit & run). But I guess you already knew these so it’s partially joke.
I’ve said this before in this thread, but I’ll said it again in case someone (e.g. Invictus) want to find out about this.
1) melee weapon has noticeably higher damage per fatigue cost, noticeably higher damage per ammo (usability of weapon). So melee weapon is meant to be the best way to kill enemy.
2) Regardless how high the melee damage is, it might not able to replace Ranged damage, DUE TO THEIR RANGE DIFFERENCE.
3) Not sure if intentional, there are fragile enemy units with special effects (e.g. Necromancer, Lost Souls, Archers). Ranged weapon is best used against them.
4) Ranged support. Did you encounter situations where a brother failed to end an enemy’s life due to poor luck or miscalculation? Ranged weapon has wider coverage and is handy against fragile or weaken enemies, so it can handle this quite well.
Oh skeletons please go to hell.
5) Terrain advantage(when God of Terrain favors you). E.g. long cliffs that force enemy to detour while you shower them with arrows. This factor is rather minor and unreliable because you have no control over it. Also useless if enemy has necromancer that forces you to go offensive instead of defensive.