26. September 2014 at 07:59 #1181
I’ve finished the demo and I can’t wait for the game to come out. So excited! I have a few questions about the combat and the map.
1) Can body armour and helmets be destroyed like shields?
2) Will there be flying enemies?
3) Will the be big enemies? Like trolls, ogres and dragons?
4) Can castles and watchtowers be destroyed like towns? And are they destroyed permanently?
5) Will there be a Deckard Cain like character that explains the lore of the game?
6) What are the failure conditions in the game?26. September 2014 at 12:46 #1183PsenBattleKeymaster
thanks for the support and welcome to the forums!
I’ll answer your questions one by one:
1) Helmets and body armor get destroyed during a tactical battle just like shields. Once your armor points are gone, they’re gone.
After the battle is finished all equipment will be repaired and restored to normal conditions so they can be used again in the next combat.
Maybe there will be some cost to repairs, but maybe not. We try to avoid tideous micro-management as much as possible.
2) There definitely will be flying enemies :) We got it all planned out already :)
3) There’ll definitely be big enemies. Allthough we are a bit limited by the size of the hex fields, but we’ll find a way to make it work.
4) They can be destroyed and will be destroyed permanently.
5) I actually don’t think there will be a “guide” person like that. We’ll just throw you into the world and then you decide what to do :)
6) You lose the game if all your soldiers get killed or if all the villages/towns get destroyed.
If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask!
Cheers!26. September 2014 at 13:17 #1184RapKeymaster27. September 2014 at 01:08 #1185
I have lots and lots of questions. I think I have more but I keep forgetting. Your game feels like the original XCOM in a way, which is awesome. I love the high casualty rate, it makes everything so tense.
7) Is the world map a hex grid like the combat? Or will it be more like Total War?
8) Will rivers and river crossings (bridges and fords) be in the combat maps?
9) Is there any impassable terrain on the world map (like lakes or mountains or ocean)?
10) Will there be any friendly warriors and peasants in battles?
11) Can you help defend castles and watchtowers if they are attacked?
12) Will I be able to buy the game from you guys DRM free? I don’t like giving Steam any money if I can help it.27. September 2014 at 09:22 #1186PsenBattleKeymaster
great to hear you get that oldschool xcom feeling. Thats exactly what we were aiming for :)
7) The Worldmap will feature free real time movement, just like Mount and Blade for example.
8) We try to get the best transition as possible from worldmap to tactical combat, so rivers and crossings will be in there as well.
9) Yes there will. Huge mountains and all kinds of lakes will be impassable.
10) It’s not implemented yet but we are planning on having three-way battles. So if you enter combat with two already fighting parties you will share the battlefiled with them. Remember, monsters are not automatically “allied” so there could also be werwolves fighting bandits or undead or whatever.
11) You can join a battle of humans vs monsters and help them out. Whether that will actually take place on/in the buildings itself has to be seen, as it’s a bit complicated to realize buildings and indoors with our graphics engine. But we’ll figure it out eventually, it would be great to have.
12) I have to discuss that with my fellow battle brothers on the team. The good thing about steam is, that is saves us all the legal issues with payment. But we’ll discuss.27. September 2014 at 10:04 #1187
Cool. I just have one last question: will people be able to mod the game? There’s a lot of potential with Battle Brothers.27. September 2014 at 12:48 #1188ImpParticipant
Thanks Mashed Zombie for your support and great questions!
Cheers, Imp28. September 2014 at 09:07 #1190
Thanks for the answers! I have one suggestion to something that came up while playing the demo today. I had a warrior flee, but he could not do so as he was surrounded by impassable terrain and enemies. Could a warrior have his fleeing state return to wavering or have a fight to the death if this situation comes up? And will warriors be able to be flee the battlefield?30. September 2014 at 10:53 #1193RapKeymaster
The flee mechanic is something we’re still discussing from time to time. At last count, characters should be able to flee and leave the battlefield on their own. That may still change, however.
As for your suggestion, we consider a character fleeing also as one panicking and unable to act rationally. If he’s not moving, he may be frozen or cowering. Having surrounded characters be able to fight normally would make them essentially immune to the key effect of morale and grant them a considerable benefit for being surrounded. We do have characters that will fight to the death, and the player can influence this to a large degree with a level-up strategy that focusses on bravery and perks relating to morale, but it won’t be a result of just being surrounded.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.