Topic: Backgrounds

• Author
    Inactive

This might be confirmation bias, but from what I’ve seen so far, characters with better backgrounds seem to have a higher chance of having positive traits and higher base stats (excluding the actual stats from the background traits). Considering they cost many times more to hire and several times more in upkeep than characters with worse backgrounds, this might make sense. I was wondering if this is actually true, or if it just seems to be true based on the small sample of brothers I’ve hired in my games. (20-25). If it isn’t true, I feel like the cost of brothers with better backgrounds isn’t justified, especially when you compare, say, a farmhand to a hedge knight. I’ve seen a hedge knight cost upwards of 1,600 gold, whereas farmhands go for about 200. The 1,400 gold difference in hiring cost equates to +10 melee skill, +10 melee defense, and +5 resolve. Add in potentially fluxuating but equal chance base stats, and you could end up with a farm hand that’s almost equal in stats to a hedge knight but costs 1,400 gold less and is half as expensive to upkeep.
    Edit: I read in an update log somewhere that the console was removed from the F12 button, as it conflicted with the default steam screenshot button. Was the ability to open the console 100% removed or just mapped to another button? If it was moved to another button, what button would that be? Being able to mess with the console to test various stats is something I wanted to do.

Participant

You need also take into account that some characters start with better armour and weapon.
    So price of recruiting also cover cost of their equipment. So difference in cost between beggar and sellsword is lower than you think.

Personally I think that some backgrounds should be even more costly to recruit.
    Hopefully when reputation/fame/renown system will go on there be more options for recruiting new characters.
    For example:
    #nobles or professionals will join only company that have high reputation.
    #good characters will only join company who have respectable reputation.
    #criminals and bandits would have very low cost in money(or cost nothing at all) but filling your ranks with them will give you bad reputation points(as your company will be seen as safe heaven for outlaws)

Also I really hope that background system will be expanded.
    Now character have single background with some possible traits tied to it.
    What I would gladly see is something like:
    #character class like royalty, high nobility, minor nobility, men-at-arms, free men, serfs, wild men(clansmen), patricians, citizens, commoners, clerics
    #then based on their class they get profession
    *for example high nobility character could be be a family heir, knight, noble adventurer, squire when minor nobility could be knight, squire, sellsword with but with lower tier equipment for the same professions
    #some professions could be tiered so experienced sellsword would have little different bonus statistic than young one.

Participant

>> This might be confirmation bias, but from what I’ve seen so far-

Take off your full helm.
    I said- take your full helm. I don’t know what you’ve seen, but I strongly doubt you’re seeing things right.

I have 3 Hedge Knights with Strong trait, 2 Adventurous Nobles with Fearless trait. Do I look like I’ve scouted a number of recruits?
    Most importantly……. I didn’t wear any helmet which hinders my sight. This makes me 2x more credible than you.

From my experience, it seems certain backgrounds have significantly higher chance to get certain traits. Still, I not sure because memory without record or statistics is biased as sh-

I wish there are other ways for brothers to gain experience. When we can have more than 12 brothers in our group, we can send some to training center or quest, or allow them to gain some experience even if they do not participate in battle.

Inactive

You need also take into account that some characters start with better armour and weapon.
    So price of recruiting also cover cost of their equipment. So difference in cost between beggar and sellsword is lower than you think.

I forgot about this. This is true, though generally the best soldiers come with basic mail, a helmet, a weapon and (sometimes) a shield. Put together, that can’t be more than 400 gold maximum. Thus the farmhand and the hedge knight are still 1,000 gold apart, and the hedge knight still has double the upkeep.

I like those ideas about traits, though.

From my experience, it seems certain backgrounds have significantly higher chance to get certain traits. Still, I not sure because memory without record or statistics is biased as sh-

I’m basically in the same position, where all my adventurous nobles and hedge knights are fearless, brave, strong, and have iron lungs, whereas all my farmhands have bleeder, dastard, etc.

Participant

The thing is that after some point money stop being a issue. And professionals have much higher potential and end statistic.
    Higher cost is just to make non professional character viable.
    Current economy let player earn quick bucks really fast making non pros characters obsolete fast.

Some proposition of quick fix to prevent this.
    #make armours more costly compared to weapons(after all well made armour was really costly), increase armour price 2 times for soft and 3 or 4 times for metal
    #make repairs of metal armour more costly in tools(like 2 times)
    #make armour to be destroyed like a weapons are(when they reach 0 durability), it add some more micro but it consistent with weapons and make keeping company alive more costly
    #lower chance for looting armour from enemies or dead characters(make some armours non lootable(destroyed) if they are on red duralbity)
    #make orc weapons worthless for human traders(they are to crude and too heavy for troops to use and really I wonder who will pay good money for this), instead make orcs drop ears/arms/heads that can be sell like ghouls teeth(so its simple bounty hunting), they can even vary in worth like low worth for young ones but high for boss one.
    #lower cash player get for weapons to like 1/4 current price and make some simple weapons9like knifes or sticks or pitchforks) worthless
    #lower cash player get for sold armour to 1/2(you can still sell it for current price but it is more costly to buy or loot and repair one)
    ##After all mercenary company are not traders, they have no time or no connections to get better price for this stuff.
    #Increase maximum body count in company(having more people to pay and less cash from loot will make low upkeep brothers more valuable even if they have worse stats), it also allow for player to have some spares and train replacement even when front line is still alive
    #expand and fix questing, now its just boring and have little connection with game world

Participant

I think hiring poor-quality brothers early on is more beneficial in the long run, because you don’t have to spend that much on hiring them and keeping them around. It means you can accumulate more money in the bank faster and if someone dies you can easily replace them with higher quality brother at that point. Other than that I have to say I too noticed that brothers with “better” backgrounds seem to be getting better traits more often than not.

Participant

Usually I try get some better brothers fast. They have better stats and usually better equipment.
    Better defence and melee skills are essential. If you have less brothers all your guys level faster.
    Then just add another higher tier mercenary.
    Few easy missions and I can get few solid characters with decent weapons then its hard to lose unless you charge at large amount of orcs.
    On start better focus on few good guys than large number of weak under equipped.
    Or so I learn.
    There is currently no reason to not get professionals soon as possible.

Keymaster

Hey there,
    very interesting read and some good ideas flying around here.
    Just one point to add to the money issue. When we implement the injury system you will have up to 24 (or so) brothers in your roster which means troop upkeep will be alot higher.

#nobles or professionals will join only company that have high reputation.
    #good characters will only join company who have respectable reputation.
    #criminals and bandits would have very low cost in money(or cost nothing at all) but filling your ranks with them will give you bad reputation points(as your company will be seen as safe heaven for outlaws)

I’d very much like to implement this. The reputation system will change A LOT of how this game will be played :)

Overhype Studios - Let´s roll!

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.