• Author
    Participant

Hey there!
    I really enjoy the game, and to a large extend its writing. Now while I’m a vivid reader, I’ve never been much into fantasy. However, Battle Brothers and their lively writers actually got me quite interested and I was wondering if anyone got a book to recommend to people who enjoy Battle Brothers writing and “setting”, i.e. Book about Mercenaries in Medieval/Fantasy lands (not too fantasy please… Dont need Ho’krigith Elves fighting the No’schnignith Dwarfs for the Schno’fithnigh Stone).

Thanks in Advance! :)

Participant

Read the manga berserk :).
    I don’t know any other literature but I’m sure others will give you some answers.

Participant

Little later period (Renaissance) but I can still highly recommend it: Captain Alatriste
    There is even very good film based on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAcrIr84OdQ

Participant

You might enjoy The Black Company, which is a series of books by Glenn Cook. If I’m not mistaken he was mentioned as a source of inspiration by the devs (citation needed). I know there’s a black company reference in game in the form of a competing band called the black company.

Inactive

… I know there’s a black company reference in game in the form of a competing band called the black company.

Also: one of the two guys getting killed in the “tutorial”-battle is called One-Eye.

Participant

The best one I’ve read is the Traitor Son Cycle series by Miles Cameron. It’s fantasy, but it’s also has exceptionally realistic combat sequences, from arms and armour, to technique, tactics and strategy. The author REALLY knows his stuff when it comes to historical warfare. It doesn’t have any of the bad fantasy arms and armour tropes, since the author practises HEMA, wears historical armor, conducts tests on them and reads a lot of books about history. And even the world building itself is very much grounded in reality (unlike a lot of fantasy that is set in a weird pseudo-medieval-renaissance period, this is something Battle Brothers does very well too,) modelled after a specific time period in our own history with a touch of magic and wild beasts.

The rough time period it’s set in is very similar to Battle Brothers actually. Battle Brothers is basically late 13th/early 14th century, while the Traitor Son Cycle is set in late 14th century. It’s mostly about a company of mercenaries, each with very distinguished personalities, but there are some PoV of others such as royalty, nobles, knights, common soldiers, merchants and mages.

For non-fiction, a good one is John Hawkwood: An English Mercenary in Fourteenth-Century Italy.

Participant

You might enjoy The Black Company, which is a series of books by Glenn Cook. If I’m not mistaken he was mentioned as a source of inspiration by the devs (citation needed). I know there’s a black company reference in game in the form of a competing band called the black company.

This! To be honest even in-game texts seem to be inspired by this series. Anyway, the series is really good but sometimes exhausting to read as it is dark fantasy and each part of the series is written by other chronicler of the company. I mean the real author is only one of course, Glenn Cook but in-book there are a few chroniclers, so you can watch an action from many perspectives. Just sometimes you may find yourself in a position when you like one of the chronicler’s writing style more than another. :D I am reading the last part of series right now and I am really amazed that I have been involved so hard into its atmosphere. Totally worth of reading!
    I wish the devs had added Black Company’s banner in game. :(

Participant

Thank you all! I will definatly look into it, the Black Company I actually already bought because that was the one that came up the most when googling this :D Will definatly read into the others as well. Cheers!

Participant

Yep, deff Black Company, the game takes heavy inspiration.

The first book is a bit of a slog but it starts picking up around halfway through and the rest tend to be really good.

Participant

Thanks for the tip about The Black Company – just started reading it and I’m enjoying it a lot.

I’ve also noticed The Falkenberg Legion running about in the game, which could originate from Jerry Pournelle’s “Future History” books – I just finished re-reading some after spotting the Legion in-game. It’s sci-fi rather than fantasy, but well worth a try!

Participant

Another one I just remembered is Prince of Thorns, which begins with the main character in a band of brutish bandit thugs in a dark fantasy world about to go lopsided which can give the same ‘band of brothers’ feel to it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.