Topic: Border tile = morale loss. Wonder why?

• Author
    Participant

“Changed tiles at the very map border in combat, which allow for a safe retreat without incurring any injury, to set the morale of characters to breaking, as to make things less exploitable.”

…Huh. I wonder what exploit they’re talking about lol.

Participant

Devs, if some1 win Monolit with this “exploit” – let it be his own shame. But in game ironman we need good retreat – it is wise and correct from the comander’s point of view. And a normal mercenary would only rejoice that his commander is not a fool and did not lead them to certain death, what losses of morality can there be?

Participant

It is more along the lines of camping the borders against an overwhelming enemy, to snipe a few guys, retreat, reload ammunition/swap armor, run back onto the map, and do the process over and over again until the enemy numbers are much more manageable that you don’t need to bother.

This was always there, it’s just a question of whether the enemies were difficult enough to warrant such tactics.

Participant

What is this… why do we need this?

Question: If i retreat all the way to the back just to flank around them and eventually I leave the last 2 columns/rows of tiles, will my morale get back up from breaking?

I really don’t see how there was a problem with retreating and re-entering combat. Not to mention it took forever and was not fun, it should be up to the player to do so or not.

Participant

It is more along the lines of camping the borders against an overwhelming enemy, to snipe a few guys, retreat, reload ammunition/swap armor, run back onto the map, and do the process over and over again until the enemy numbers are much more manageable that you don’t need to bother.

This was always there, it’s just a question of whether the enemies were difficult enough to warrant such tactics.

But this change wouldn’t affect this strategy of hit and leave map if you were leaving the map anyway. Once you leave the map, the fact that you left the map with breaking morale doesn’t affect your morale when you go into combat again later.

Participant

I suspect I know what exploitive behaviour they are talking about though.

1. To avoid getting knocked around by orcs, some folks purposely station their team on the edge of the map. No place to be knocked back=no knockback.

2. Bandits forming defensive line? They can be tempted to break formation by running whole team to the edge of the map. I believe the bandits think you are trying to run but who knows?

Participant

But this change wouldn’t affect this strategy of hit and leave map if you were leaving the map anyway. Once you leave the map, the fact that you left the map with breaking morale doesn’t affect your morale when you go into combat again later.

It will change the strategy a bit; the idea was that you would sit on the edge of the map, and instantly flee the moment an enemy gets his turn and can attack, because fleeing can happen at any point. Now, you have set up one tile away from the edge, so if the enemy catches up to you, you must have Footwork on everybody to trivially escape (from getting caught in melee).

The other point being that it is now extremely risky to sit on the last tile, due to potentially getting ‘fleeing’ status if two enemies walk up to a low resolve Brother. And thus, the brother wasting his turn walk around getting smacked by the enemies that caused the status, if you weren’t already ready to pull out.

Participant

The only way I ever “exploited” the map border was putting my formation with it’s back to it, and only because outside of the dense forest there are no natural barriers that can protect your flanks/back from 30+ enemies that you keep facing later on. I don’t really see this as an exploit because I never run from a started battle unless I’m obviously getting decimated.

I dislike attempts to “balance” a singleplayer game around those few people that abuse some mechanics, because while it often makes life harder for an ordinary players those who want to use bugs/glitches/exploits/outright cheats will ALWAYS do so, there is simply no way you can prevent it.

And to be honest, why shouldn’t they? It’s singleplayer, if somebody wants to spoil his own – and only his own – fun that way nobody else really cares <insert a stale meme here>

Participant

If you don’t exploit “border-sitting”, it won’t affect your gameplay in any way. Because, if you are already at the border and going to retreat, there is no matter what your resolve is.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.