Topic: dark topic but good for time period

• Author
    Participant

SLAVES… I know its dark but this is no pg game being torn apart no small matter, but not every one on battle field dies. why not hold captives. now you not keep a man with out a arm let him bleed out. but a healther man with a few cuts not to bad on market and your men can beat them make them happy or o no hunting packs about get me cut slaves free that hunting pack will eat them as we get away. if you not like call them slaves call them captives. but I know im selling them ;) bank. people are worth a lot back than. no morales down but most your brothers are cut throats beat the torturing captives morale is now up.

Another topic…. just as BAD
    you fight bandits you win on live you heal him by waiting a day you have options beat him shits and giggles, let him go , keep him , or torturing to find out were rest his friends are. selling him but we talked about this.

NEXT on chop block
    you are walking down road you walk up to a man hanging in a tree hes not dead yet man that hug him did not know what he was doing. do you a stab him walk on your way or help him. now lets make something clear we not killed him but I may not have helped him as well I may taking as a captive not as a brother. no one said I was a good guy

MORE BAD
    playing as a bandit killing farmers raiding towns go to bandit spawn area to sell stuff get new guys your gear bandit hide outs or people you killed yesterday
    thoughts

Participant

Well, if we’re drawing parallels with our world, taking nobles captive in battle was SOP, as they could fetch a nice ransom. This may come in to play with the human factions we’ve heard about. Slaves, otherwise? Eh. Not sure. Maybe bandits in a cities area could be turned over as prisoners for a sum, or some such.

Participant

The torture or other stuff I find unnecessary for a world game building. Sure it happen but I don’t really see this as a form of mechanic.
    There is no ‘Company morale’ feature so there is no reason for having mechanics to get it higher. And even if there were one I find that getting people some extra alcohol, food rations or bonus pay will motivated them more than some torture on random guys(that they probably would do off screen anyway and don’t tell anyone).
    On the other hand, slaves.
    The medieval Europe banned slave trade. The Christian part of it. But there was still slave trade and slave raids against them done by muslim Berbers Turks and Tatars.
    There are not muslims in this game but there are bandits and orcs(also undead).
    #Bandits can abduct people so they can force them to work for them for free. It could be a part of their economy alongside from tributes from villages and protection money from traders(no need to kill your source of income – its no wise anyway).
    #Orcs can abduct people for the same reason. If they are a ‘Amazon ants’ faction(or warrior – and it looks like they are) they still need somebody to work for them and grow the food. Slaves are perfect for that.
    So orcs raid not only to prove their worth(in fight) but also to make some profit. Stealing livestock of any species and killing guard dogs of any kind sounds like a right job for an Orc.

>Now i gonna shock some people:
    Personally I really dislike idea of undead faction in current shape.
    Why you ask?
    First vampires or ghouls are OK with me. The other not so much.
    #Vampires.
    They are some species that have inhuman powers and feed on blood. Fine with me. Immortal or semi immortal make perfect leaders for enslaved human faction. The court of vampires ruling over masses of enslaved humans with help of possessed/brainwashed caste of warriors(Janissaries). It make now pretty clear why Vlad Palownik stick some Turks on stake. Jokes aside – its more reasonable for vampires ruling over humans than having zombies or skeletons, for a simple reason humans are perfect source of fresh blood.
    Also it will give vampires much more personality than they have now. Make them as a sort of sultan court with human Janissaries and other slave troops. Their raiders come to steal people and animals. They could have economy based on slave labour and caste system. Some of their human slaves can be fanatical when other can be just opportunistic. Some of them can use alchemic potions(based on vampires blood) to become stronger fighters(making them go after you even if they are killed – going back from dead just to kill you). There can be a lot of flavour for this faction. Right now we have some generic undead.
    >Not happy with this.
    #Ghouls.
    As a nocturnal scavengers that lurk in shadow and night make a perfect sense to me. They are great for a low fantasy setting too. Make them having lairs ruled by Queens or Matriarchs, move mostly by night, scavenge battlefields for fresh corpse, steal sheep and chickens from peasants(or unlucky peasants if the ghouls are lucky).
    They can also make(because they are cunning but still animals) perfect soldier-beasts for vampires. Vampires feed on blood, ghouls feed on flesh. The more primitive, brutal or dumb vampires can easily take control of ghoul pack and make them their servants(thanks to mind control trick and inhumane vampire powers).
    Ghouls fit perfectly well as a ‘wild beast’ threat, renegade/exiled vampire bodyguards or as a part of ‘undead realm’.
    And that lead us to two most offenders.
    #Skeletons.
    They are ANIMATED bones. MAGIC involved. If you have skeletons – golems(or gargoyles) are not far away. How they move? They have no flesh, no muscles. They do not eat, no drink. They have no brain. Pure magic. For a non magic settings they are really poor choice.
    >Yes I am looking at you with disdain right now German bros.
    #Zombies.
    The zombies. I don’t really mind them much. Thing is that they not fit that much in the settings. Sure they provide a generic enemy but that is all. They are now slow, low damage rather hard to kill enemy but only thing that they have going for them is their reanimation skill. Not mention that I am little tired on zombies(they shouldn’t really be in a medieval setting).
    >Not mention that people aren’t fools. If skeletons or zombies where real you would find that there are no graveyards because are bodies are burned to the last bones or at last their bones are crushed, tied and bodies decapitated(as it happen for real in areas where there was some suspicious of vampires).
    So yeah. Slavery is a thing. Not mention that it can add few backgrounds like a ‘Former slave’ or ‘Runaway slave soldier’, become basis for a few quests like ‘Free the slaves’ or ‘Check what happened to my peasants’. It can also become a part of real world economy and lore building.

Participant

They are ANIMATED bones. MAGIC involved. If you have skeletons – golems(or gargoyles) are not far away. How they move? They have no flesh, no muscles. They do not eat, no drink. They have no brain. Pure magic. For a non magic settings they are really poor choice.

What does make you think that low fantasy equals no magic at all? Fantasy is fantasy, after all.

The zombies. I don’t really mind them much. Thing is that they not fit that much in the settings. Sure they provide a generic enemy but that is all. They are now slow, low damage rather hard to kill enemy but only thing that they have going for them is their reanimation skill. Not mention that I am little tired on zombies(they shouldn’t really be in a medieval setting).

The very same argument could be made for orcs, or vampires, or goblins. Basically anything that is not human.

Participant

>> its more reasonable for vampires ruling over humans than having zombies or skeletons, for a simple reason humans are perfect source of fresh blood.
    It depends on the infection method of zombie. If the virus spreads within air and humans turn when they die, zombie will overrun the land in this warring era. Since Capcom didn’t choose Vamphazard over Biohazard, I believe in them.

Incidentally, is werewolf actively hunting vampire on world map?

>> #Skeletons.

Now that you mentioned about it…. I think vampires are equal fantasy to skeleton. You see, vampires can teleport. Even if you claim they run really fast with some hallucination effect…… does that make them less fantasy?

>> They have no flesh, no muscles. They do not eat, no drink. They have no brain.

Are you talking about Skeletons, or Living Souls? Either way, it doesn’t matter. I’ve just kicked the intangible living souls’ asses with a tangible arro- What did I just said?

Low magic setting is tricky ╮(─▽─)╭  

Anyone been to low magic country before?

Keymaster

SLAVES… I know its dark but this is no pg game being torn apart no small matter, but not every one on battle field dies. why not hold captives. now you not keep a man with out a arm let him bleed out. but a healther man with a few cuts not to bad on market and your men can beat them make them happy or o no hunting packs about get me cut slaves free that hunting pack will eat them as we get away. if you not like call them slaves call them captives. but I know im selling them 😉 bank. people are worth a lot back than.

Slavery and human trafficking is outlawed and thus hardly a common practise in the part of the world where Battle Brothers takes place. There’s also a few references to it already in the game, such as the Disowned Noble background having the attempt of human trafficking as a reason for him being exiled. It could be argued that serfdom is only a small step up from slavery, of course, but such is the way it works. That doesn’t mean that slavery isn’t a thing in other parts of the world, for other cultures, and if we were to ever explore those other parts we may well take a look at slavery in the future.

Another topic…. just as BAD
    you fight bandits you win on live you heal him by waiting a day you have options beat him shits and giggles, let him go , keep him , or torturing to find out were rest his friends are. selling him but we talked about this.

Interrogation has come up before. It’s unlikely we’ll include this as a gameplay mechanic of its own, but it may come up with an event or two after battle.

MORE BAD
    playing as a bandit killing farmers raiding towns go to bandit spawn area to sell stuff get new guys your gear bandit hide outs or people you killed yesterday

As we said before, this game will always be fundamentally about commanding a mercenary company, never about leading a bunch of outlaws, a trading caravan, or what have you. Making for good gameplay in the long term that does justice to running a mercenary company in a quasi-medieval world is an ambitious task in itself, and something we still have a lot of work to do on, so we’ll focus entirely on that. Things like running a group of bandits would require a lot of attention in order to be more than just a gimmick.

That doesn’t mean that there won’t be different flavors to running a mercenary company available, and different ways to act in the world – including what you’d call dark, like resorting to raiding the occasional lone farmstead if your men run out of food. The upcoming event system includes opportunity for some less benevolent choices, and events will also trigger based on your reputation in the future.

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

#Vampires.
    They are some species that have inhuman powers and feed on blood. Fine with me. Immortal or semi immortal make perfect leaders for enslaved human faction. The court of vampires ruling over masses of enslaved humans with help of possessed/brainwashed caste of warriors(Janissaries). It make now pretty clear why Vlad Palownik stick some Turks on stake. Jokes aside – its more reasonable for vampires ruling over humans than having zombies or skeletons, for a simple reason humans are perfect source of fresh blood.
    Also it will give vampires much more personality than they have now. Make them as a sort of sultan court with human Janissaries and other slave troops. Their raiders come to steal people and animals. They could have economy based on slave labour and caste system. Some of their human slaves can be fanatical when other can be just opportunistic. Some of them can use alchemic potions(based on vampires blood) to become stronger fighters(making them go after you even if they are killed – going back from dead just to kill you). There can be a lot of flavour for this faction. Right now we have some generic undead.
    >Not happy with this.

Actually I was taking some notes the other day for an undead faction overhaul, by dividing them in 3 subfactions, vampires, necromancers and roaming undead, and introducing a few new units. Goal was make the undead faction stronger, more diverse and logical.

Edit: For example that vampires can’t animate corpses, so they have no zombies or skeletons. Or necromancer have apprentices who help them out. Or vampires appear as humans if they move on the world map…

Participant

OFF TOPIC
    >> Or vampires appear as humans if they move on the world map…

_φ(□□ヘ)
    Era 0442, March, Day 11
    Vampires have been begun to mimic human travelers and vagabonds. However, humans are tenacious creatures. Within days, survivors have spread the rumor throughout the kingdom. Out of fear, the citizens are requesting the King to dictate a new law to forbid travelers from wearing hoods. The King responded, “Such folklore is absurd! Cowards can turn away and run from any hooded fellow they come across!”

_φ(□□ヘ)
    Era 0442, March, Day 28
    As unspoken rule, human travelers will always take off their hood to prove themselves when they see another group of humans from afar. May the God of Sun keep us away from the harm of Vampires.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.