Topic: Failed early ambitions

• Author
    Participant

I like to have small quest-like goals and such, but they seem too forceful in the early game.
    In my experience, failed early ambitions are never offered twice, so if I fail one, that ambition is gone forever. In my recent run, I succeeded every other goal but the ones with tangible reward… my BBs lost chance to get a banner and sergeant’s sash, and I am pretty sure that I have just lost my chance to increase the number of inventory slots to 107. It would be nice if I could access them later with another quest or money should I fail at the first opportunity.

Thanks!

Participant

I don´t really like this timed mechanic at all. Why force the player into a way to play the game if it is the player choice that was intended to be emphasised?

Ambitions is a nice thing to have. Once you choose one you have that ambition and nothing else. Let it be infinite. The way i understand it fullfilling the ambition should be some kind of reward for doing a good job but the way it is right now it feels like a damocles sword over your head in the early game when you have to take an ambition.

Maybe offer the possibility to change it after a longer time without success (this change in plans may then lead to a small morale drop – which is something a player would only choose if he realises he cannot fullfill the current ambition any time soon).

"I am a Paladin!"
    >OMG, Malthus, there are no damn paladins in Battle Brothers...<
    "OK, OK! Then I´m a wrecked down minstrel drunkard pretending to be a paladin, singing so wrong in the midst of battle that even the undead run in fear... Better?!"

Participant

Personally, I failed the ambition to bring the company to 12 men early on, not knowing there was a time limit, but later got the opportunity to pick it again. So I doubt failed ambitions (and their rewards) are lost forever.

Participant

Mmm, that’s good to know! Thanks.

Inactive

Maybe offer the possibility to change it after a longer time without success (this change in plans may then lead to a small morale drop – which is something a player would only choose if he realises he cannot fullfill the current ambition any time soon).

I would prefer this. The only ambition I’ve failed thus far was the earn 50,000 crowns one. I was 1,000 crowns off when the ambition timer ran out, lol.

Participant

A very welcome change in this regard, from the brand-new Beta Update 0.9.0.22:

“Changed ambitions so that they no longer come with a time limit, but can be aborted by right-clicking the ambition panel, which, after a confirmation prompt, will trigger the previous failure dialog and penalty to mood.”

Participant

A very welcome change in this regard, from the brand-new Beta Update 0.9.0.22:

“Changed ambitions so that they no longer come with a time limit, but can be aborted by right-clicking the ambition panel, which, after a confirmation prompt, will trigger the previous failure dialog and penalty to mood.”

Really great solution.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.