Topic: Game tinkering

• Author
    Participant

How can I decompile .cnut files? Why did you even bother to compile game files :(? Even without proper modding tools I like to tinker in game files and make my own mini mods and alterations. Most of the recent indie games (not sure if you consider your game as indie so no offense :P) gives you full access to game files to support modding which is awesome. I was little dissapointed when I realised that you don’t do that. I could tweak SO MANY little things to improve my gameplay… For most of the games I enjoy digging in game files almost as much as I enjoy playing them and for some unknown reason you deny me this opportunity :(.

Participant

Yup. This was a big mistake if it was an actual development decision and not necessity.

Participant

Tell me about it… It’s not a secret that niche indie games lives and dies with it’s community and modders are the ones who keeps this kind of games alive for years. No one really cares if title is still in development… For example look at RimWorld. God knows how many mods were released for this game over the years. Even after big patch it takes only few days for modders to catch up and update their mods. What’s more maaaaaany ideas and mods itself were incorporated into core game. Community is literally developing game for developers. At this point you are sharing your suggestions with devs and waiting months hoping that your ideas will ever come to life while modders could deliver it in a matter of days. There is no downside for modding.
    And the best part :D. I had no idea thet new threads on this forum has to be approved by admin. Just come on guys… I would understand that if this forum was overloaded by thousands of ppl spamming everywhere. But with only few posts a day you could really give us more freedom here. It’s almost like you are limiting your community on purpose.

Participant

I thought only your first message on forum had to be approved – not starting a new thread?

But yeah, right now im burnt on BB; it gets repetitive, it doesnt have enough content and so on. I would love nothing more than to design new enemies, make new parties, add new items etc. Maybe in the future.

Participant

And the best part :D. I had no idea thet new threads on this forum has to be approved by admin. Just come on guys… I would understand that if this forum was overloaded by thousands of ppl spamming everywhere. But with only few posts a day you could really give us more freedom here. It’s almost like you are limiting your community on purpose.

There was time when bots spammed a lot here. That’s why now the first few posts/threads have to be approved.

Participant

You may be right. This thread was my first post on this forum.

I feel exactly the same. While beginning can be very hard (which I love!), endgame is not so exciting anymore. So I just play until I have full party of 11lvl with best equipment, fight some orcs, get bored as I am indestructible, start over again. Without new content you can repeat this only so many times. I love struggle at the beggining of the game when I save every penny to recruit my first real fighter and buy him some equipment just to watch him die by the stray goblin arrow. I’m really pissed for a moment then I’m like “Screw it! I’ll get even better fighters, level them up and come back to those damn green bastards!”. And then I do :P.

Participant

How can I decompile .cnut files?

As far as I know: You can’t.
    (I read the following (quite old) comparison once, but I can’t exactly remember where: “If you punch someone in the face (.nut -> .cnut), can you un-punch him?”)

Why did you even bother to compile game files :(?

I’m not really familiar with squirrel but as far as I know, .cnut’s do have some avdantages against .nut’s, but I also read that those advantages aren’t a big deal (even to be as minor to be ignored, but as I said, I’m not familiar enough with it, so I only quote what I remember to have read once because I once tried to mod it too ^^.)

But in general, modding is is a controversial topic (for now).
    So, think about it like this; yes, modding is fun but it doesn’t really make sense for the game in it’s current state. Mod something and with the next update it’s most likely obsolete or maybe even won’t work in general because of some major changes.

EDIT:

I would understand that if this forum was overloaded by thousands of ppl spamming everywhere.

As Holy.Death said, there was quite a lot of spam around. Let’s hope it stays away.

Participant

+1 I would really like to see some mods. I’m not the type to develop mods but I do get mod heavy when the game allows. Mods add more dynamic to the game and sometimes the community creates fantastic core mods that really elevate the game. The devs have created a fantastic game with BB but to keep things interesting and have replay potential there should be mod options for gameplay and graphics.

Participant

But in general, modding is is a controversial topic (for now).
    So, think about it like this; yes, modding is fun but it doesn’t really make sense for the game in it’s current state. Mod something and with the next update it’s most likely obsolete or maybe even won’t work in general because of some major changes.

Like I said before. No one really cares if game is still in development. Many games in even earlier state allows modding with nothing but benefits. Modders update their mods after even big patches and no one is complaining about that. I can’t see why that would be any different in Battle Brothers.
    Why on earth modding would be controversial topic? I understand aversion to mods from AAA games developers point of view. They loose money because shitty dlcs loose its purpose with free mods available which are often better quality than official dlc. I despise it but at least I can understand it. But from point of view of small independent developer there is no downside to mods. Modding community provides constant flow of new content, helps to keep hype high and makes game waaaay more intresting. Even without oficial proper tools there is so much that can be done with just acces to game files. From simple tweaks, new items and classes to complete overhauls.

Participant

Why on earth modding would be controversial topic?{…}

Wait wait, don’t get me wrong, modding is great! I meant “controversial” in combination with the games current state (I think I chose a wrong word for what i meant), because a major update could destroy a lot of effort. But you do have a fair point, modders are highly skilled and talented people, so they won’t care a lot if a mod of them broke because of an update and will most likely update it then (as long as this is possible and the whole mod isn’t destroyed due to major code changes).

Participant

It would be wonderful if devs could just release next patch with uncompiled game files. It would cost them literally nothing and would take this game to the whole new different level of hype. Just give us acces to files and scripts so we can improve gameplay on our own while waiting for official updates.

Participant

+1

Participant

I know that I sound like broken record but 2 days ago I bought game similar to Battle Brothers and HOLY CRAP! Game is called Starsector and it is perfect example of everything that BB could be in matter of modding.
    I played vanilla game for first few hours to learn mechanics. After pirst playthrough I started to test some mods and as always I ended up with shit-tone of them :P.
    – there was no politics and base/planets capturing (sounds similar)? – not any more! Mods added not only simple capturing but also mechanics for saboteurs and agents so you can for example mess with faction relations (with some effort you can literally provoke or end wars between factions), send agent to tinker with market prices, sabotage market, with siege system comes fleets defending planets so you can sabotage them too before invasion to make things easier when it comes to battle! AI finally enters alliances, declares wars and use all those mechanics mentioned above. Thanks to that boring, static galaxy is now dynamically changing as agents mess up economy and star systems are conquered..
    – there were only few rather bleak vanilla factions – so I chose 8 new well balanced ones out of dozens available on forum
    – when you speak about mods you can’t not mention new equipment :). Every new faction mentioned before obviously comes with weapons and modules of it’s own but besides that there are tons of weapons and equipments packs
    – but all that equipment would be worthless without ships to carry it! So of course every new faction comes with at least one or two new ships in every tier. There are 5 tiers (Fighter, Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser, Capital) so do the math ;]
    – there was only one old, boring map – now I have randomly generated map with settings to change size, included factions and others variables to match your playstyle

In the end I have added so much new stuff that I had to manually allocate more ram to game :P. But hey! I have few times more content than before in my game! Without mods I would probably play few more times and get bored but now thanks to them I am hyped as never because I discover more and more new stuff to install.

I highly recommend you to try this game. Concept is very similar to BB but with real time battles (with active pause). And if you didn’t get it by now, even if game is in early access there are lots of lots mods available. Even with all those nasty patches ruining mods, community somehow menages to keep their mods up up-to-date. What a shock!

And devs PLEASE stop avoiding subject with “we plan to release modding tools somewhere down the line”… There are no modding tools in Starsector. Just access to game files and great community. Only tool I’m using is ship editor. And guess what. It’s also fan made. Actually all THREE of them are. We don’t need official tools or mod support. So please just let us (fans) play with game as we please. It’s such a no-brainer that it’s beyond me why we even have to fight about it…

Participant

+1
    Adding modding ASAP is a very good idea. Why? Devs might get some great ideas from modders and implement them like RimWorld guys did. Furthermore, modding community is another thing that brings a lot of new bloods in.
    Personally, I can’t wait for modding support in BB. Even adding our own factions/equipment/sprites would change a lot.

Participant

+1 very badly needed. imagine all the new weapons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.