Topic: General feedback on ENEMYS, ITEMS & VERSION: 0.4.0.40

• Author
    Participant

General feedback based on my experience with the game. VERSION: 4.0.0.40

FIRST OF ALL: I love, love, love your game! It has so much potential and the art style is just awesome(!). My comments are not meat to devalue the dev team or their product.

Let’s be clear here: I LOVE THIS GAME AND ADORE THE DEVS FOR MAKING IT POSSIBLE!

It is all base on MY experience and therefore open for discussion and debate. It’s just my experience with the game and the experience of other players may differ. Please feel free to post your feedback too =)

My style of play is based on maximising the cost efficiency and maximising the profit, not only in gold but also experience. I (almost) never lose anyone I hire, save for the early game, because I pick my fights well.

I will give feedback on the ENEMYS, ITEMS and the META starting with the…

…ENEMYS:

Raiders = Easy, no special abilities, beatable without casualties even with most basic tactics.
    Tactics: 7 Defensive Melee Units, 3 Ranged Units, 2 Melee Support Units. Important items: Shields!, Boar Spears, Spears, Hunting Bows, Bills/Pikes, shields!, very heavy armour, even in the early game. Farm GO TO and PROTECT missions in the early game, get basic equip (Boar Spears, Chainmail / Helmets, Heater Shields!, Hunting Bows, Pikes/Billhooks), 6 Units avg. about 65 upkeep, start actually fighting. Gear up to 12 Units, keep upkeep per Unit under base 11. Lvl DEF on Melee to crit immune, ATT on Ranged to ranged better & crit.

ORKS = Young Orks are manageable, as Berserkers are, if your party has basic equipment,. Ork Warriors & Ork Warlords, High Risk even on puny to lose a unit. So avoid them in general, I’m a mercenary, not a hero.

UNDEAD = Wiedergängers & Skeletons & Ghouls & Vampires are manageable. Ghosts, well I only encountered them once and lured them into a settlement and let the militia tank for me, never encountered them again (200+ days in different partys).

WEREWOLF = Only encountered two times, lured them into city / castle, no problem, but can’t comment on actual fighting strength.

…ITEMS: c00ming s00n.

…META: c00ming s00n.

SAVEGAME: Still testing build and stuff so the party is not optimized, but one can get the idea: http://workupload.com/file/CzlWsSql
    Thats it for now, need a break.

Balance for the Balance Throne! Skills for the Skill God! | Wolves - Spam for the Old Gods!

Participant

On Orks, I’m not saying that they aren’t beatable, they are ofc, but its not as cost efficient as lets say RAIDERS.

Balance for the Balance Throne! Skills for the Skill God! | Wolves - Spam for the Old Gods!

Participant

Berserkers are curious, as they seem weaker than the other adult Orcs . . . until they get a few kills in. A berserker hopped up on battle rage is more than capable of causing a party wipe.

Seems like you haven’t had a chance to really fight werewolves yet. They’re particularly dangerous when encountered in the early game, so you should fight them at that stage to get the best impression of their power.

Participant

Whoa! Never knew that about the zerkers. How did you know/find out about the battle rage skill? I just read someone’s advice about orcs to “kill zerker first”, and I just blindly followed that advice, never really realizing how much of a threat they could pose, as I guess I never let them get that advantage. The BB Wiki doesn’t mention it yet either.

Participant

Gotta say wolves, that boar spear suggestion already made early game so much more doable. Thanks for the tip!

Participant

I knew from the faction description on the blog, but I did not think of them as all that dangerous until I saw a berserker get in a kill against some militia that had gotten ahead of my mercenaries. Then he got another. And another. And another. And another. Full swing, no survivors. Next turn he reached my company, killed most of them in the first round and the rest in the second. After that, I made them priority targets for my ranged units.
    You can kind of think of them as the Orcish equivalent of swordmasters, in that they’re not a big deal if you just shoot them. However, if they manage to get in a good position they can really RIP and TEAR.

Participant

WHOA! Mind blown. That sounds sick. Sorry to hear about your team, though.

I almost feel deprived I never had that experience to see a zerker in its full glory, now I shall make extra sure never to see it lol. Thanks for the tip!

I love these unique AI abilities and design, so I hope we see more of this variety in the future content!

Participant

Haha, it was actually mostly just really cool, since my playstyle involves frequent casualties anyway. :P I play with a dedicated group of berserkers, acquired through seeing which recruits survive charging straight into enemy lines with two-handers.

These kind of unit divergences are some of the best details in the game. An enemy that is powerful, but only powerful under certain circumstances really keeps you on your toes. It’s why I’m happy that a part of how they balance things is through tweaking AI behaviour. I’m hoping we see some slight tweaks with the berserker AI though, so that players get to see that aspect of their design more often. If I’m remembering correctly, they get increased damage, resolve, initiative and damage resistance for every kill. The amount depends on the number of kills and each turn they lose some of it. They also have the berserker perk, so they regain AP, too. They’d be pretty fearsome if they made the most of that.

Participant

Haha, it was actually mostly just really cool, since my playstyle involves frequent casualties anyway. 😛 I play with a dedicated group of berserkers, acquired through seeing which recruits survive charging straight into enemy lines with two-handers.

These kind of unit divergences are some of the best details in the game. An enemy that is powerful, but only powerful under certain circumstances really keeps you on your toes. It’s why I’m happy that a part of how they balance things is through tweaking AI behaviour. I’m hoping we see some slight tweaks with the berserker AI though, so that players get to see that aspect of their design more often. If I’m remembering correctly, they get increased damage, resolve, initiative and damage resistance for every kill. The amount depends on the number of kills and each turn they lose some of it. They also have the berserker perk, so they regain AP, too. They’d be pretty fearsome if they made the most of that.

Whoa. I made them priority targets without thinking too much about it because they were unarmoured and used high damage weapons. I never realised how scary they could get. I’ve gotta avoid bringing in cheap milita into fights with them haha.

Participant

Beserkers are deadly! on their own not so much

it was only about 40 hours of play into it i found a camp manned only by beserkers

I had to load about 5 times to not lose a few men, went in thinking hey they are naked but when they start to flank you and then go bananas they will generally carve your guys a new one, do not underestimate beserkers

generally now i shoot them first and shoot them again just to be sure

Participant

The company from 22 orcs where 1 leader, as minimum 10 orcish heavy warriors, 2 Berserker and the rest… gave me problems even on level 11 of my brothers. A very strong contender, pretty fun, respect.They broke almost all my armor and even almost killed my heroic Spearman on top of a wall of shields… now I want to play for the orcs :)

Participant

Reading your comments and others on the forums I think my style of play is not comparable in some way.

I play the game in “total ironman” – No reload, no savescum, no hire to view stats, dead = dead, lost = lost. Like a rouge like.

That influences my tactics and desicions a lot. As stated in the analysis thread, my priotitys are 1) economic gain 2) no loses.

Berserkers are curious, as they seem weaker than the other adult Orcs . . . until they get a few kills in. A berserker hopped up on battle rage is more than capable of causing a party wipe.

Seems like you haven’t had a chance to really fight werewolves yet. They’re particularly dangerous when encountered in the early game, so you should fight them at that stage to get the best impression of their power.

A berserker never managed to kill someone of my party. It seems some kind of strange luck that even if I lure them into settlements, the ability never triggers. Maybe because I tend to focos them, because of their lack of armor and heavy weapons.

I started a new campaign (focus on total minmax) and encountered WEREWOLFS a few times now. I think most of my tactics involve LURING emenys into settlements of any kind or into caravans and thet them tank for me.

Gotta say wolves, that boar spear suggestion already made early game so much more doable. Thanks for the tip!

If you need any more hints / explainations I will glady help.

Haha, it was actually mostly just really cool, since my playstyle involves frequent casualties anyway. 😛 I play with a dedicated group of berserkers, acquired through seeing which recruits survive charging straight into enemy lines with two-handers.

Whoa. I made them priority targets without thinking too much about it because they were unarmoured and used high damage weapons. I never realised how scary they could get. I’ve gotta avoid bringing in cheap milita into fights with them haha.

I love that, thats so different from my approach! Great!

Participant

The company from 22 orcs where 1 leader, as minmium 10 orcish heavy warriors, 2 Berserker and the rest… gave me problems even on level 11 of my brothers. A very strong contender, pretty fun, respect.They broke almost all my armor and even almost killed my heroic Spearman on top of a wall of shields… now I want to play for the orcs :)

Hahaha! Same here, I also thought: “Oh snap, I should hire dem Ork Boys instead!”

Participant

Bandits are easy, just a standard line formation will deal with them.

Undead I enjoy fighting, tons and tons of them and we just hack them down. Haven’t had the higher levelled ones yet though.

Werewolves are easy as well, solid shield wall/spear wall and riposte. Cut them down and keep that defence up.

Orcs? Ugh, I’ve not had fun with them as I’ve had them thrown at me in the early game quite often now, particularly in missions. Luck of the RNG I suppose. I can usually do ok at the start, block them in, stop them charging, stab them a thousand times, but once they decide to their OHKO Off with their heads attack that’s it, game over.

Participant

Indeed. Gentlemen, if you haven’t gotten Cleavers yet, I advise you to look at it: Decapitate. Terribly OP, at this stage, IMHO. 45% chance on my line-Brothers to get…. an instant kill. Takes off the head, REGARDLESS OF ARMOR. That’s right, about 10% lower than normal strike to land a one-hit, with a 1H weapon. Used it on Orc Warriors a couple times; giggle-inducing, so probably OP as balls :)

Couldn’t figure out how my 2H level 11 plate monster (with 40 melee defense :D ) got downed in one hit, at full HP, Armor, and Head Armor that one time fighting orcs. Why? They use Cleavers. And I would be willing to bet they occasionally use that one-hit ability, to morale-damaging effect. One of the reasons I don’t like fighting Orcses.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.