Topic: HOW MUCH FANTASY DO YOU WANT ?

• Author
    Participant

Hello dear Battlebrothers,

Im from Germany and very interested in this game. Because this Forum seems to be only English I will write in such, but keep in mind that it is my second language. ;D

My Question is how much Fantasy do you want to incorporate in your game ?

You said that you plan it mostly low fantasy without to much magic and fantasy creatures. But nethertheless you intruduced the Orc and Undead Faction. in my opinion this is not so far from Dwarves or Elves, which could be added also easily. They could fill some special roles within an army and add to the economy of the game a.e. they house places where no Humans live like Mountains for the Dwarfes and deep forests for the Elves. From there they could add a variety to the “trade and plunder” system.

Of course my ideas are very unfinished and I just would like to hear your opinion about them.

Participant

Hey sonepoxy, you’re English is actually very good! Much better than my 2nd language :D

On Topic: I like the fact that Battle Brothers is just humans and monsters, and humans don’t get any magic. It makes the world a frightening place and seems more realistic (despite the presence of orcs and some undead). If there were elves and dwarves, the setting would feel too much like The Witcher — which is also a very cool setting, but not the direction I’d like to see Battle Brothers taken. If they were to add any other races I’d like them to be monster races, such as Giants or Trolls rather than Tolkien fantasy races.

Essentially, I think that Battle Brothers has just the right amount of fantasy. I like the feeling of “you against the world” that I get while playing the game. I wouldn’t mind some recruitable monster characters (Vampires please!), but I doubt that will happen :)

Participant

I thought Battle Brothers is a German game?

Participant

>> HOW MUCH FANTASY DO YOU WANT ?
    A lot of people have failed to understand one thing. It’s not about quantity, it’s about quality.
    I don’t care if it’s high or low fantasy, as long as it’s….. final fantasy.

*cough* *cough* Okay. Let’s be serious.

>> You said that you plan it mostly low fantasy without to much magic and fantasy creatures. But nethertheless you intruduced the Orc and Undead Faction.

That short sentence “low fantasy setting/world” alone is a little misleading. It actually refers to non-fantasy(humans with steel) v.s. fantasy(monsters with magic).

Participant

ManaSeed is right.

Battle Brothers is the kind of dark fantasy where exotic fantastical elements are generally dangerous and horrible. If there are elves, they are probably sadistic monsters that lurk in the deep forests and murder woodsmen. Any short underground people are probably jerks who torment miners similarly. Vampires have an irresistible need to eat people to death.

Magicians and nonhumans aren’t mercenary material. This reflects bad attitudes from real life, but the game is what it is.

Participant

You said that you plan it mostly low fantasy without to much magic and fantasy creatures.

Where they said it?

Q: What is the general setting of the world?

The setting is an unnamed middle european medieval low fantasy world wherein magic exists, but is rare. The classic fantasy races of Elves, Dwarfs and Halflings don’t exist in this world, but a few other intelligent humanoid races do. We’ll flesh out the setting more once we’re further along with development of the strategic worldmap. Variations of the setting, such as a middle eastern themed expansion, might also be added at a later date.

Participant

Very little if not 0 magic. If it was implemented it should be super rare.

no refunds.

Participant

ManaSeed is right.

Battle Brothers is the kind of dark fantasy where exotic fantastical elements are generally dangerous and horrible. If there are elves, they are probably sadistic monsters that lurk in the deep forests and murder woodsmen. Any short underground people are probably jerks who torment miners similarly. Vampires have an irresistible need to eat people to death.

Magicians and nonhumans aren’t mercenary material. This reflects bad attitudes from real life, but the game is what it is.

Well said +1

no refunds.

Participant

I just bought the game on Steam. I didn’t read much about it. I just saw “Medieval Mercenary” and clicked “buy”! Hmm … now I see there are fantasy creatures like werewolves and orcs. I had hoped (my fault for not checking before buying) that the game would be more “realistic” with mercenary captains leading mercenary companies in a historical, or semi-historical, campaign. I was thinking of mercenary heroes like John Hawkwood & Albert Sterz etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Company But I still like the game very much. Great art style and music. And good combat mechanics.

Participant

I don’t want elves and dwarves in our army or as allies. But they may not be bad as adversaries, more like dark elves and dark dwarves. They can be designed closer to Norse mythology than to their Tolkien versions.

Participant

Well, personally I like other races very much, especially dwarfs. But I also think that, as companions or allies, it would bring too much Tolkien-feeling, like someone said above. Dark elves, schemer dwarfs as enemies would fit better in the world of BB. But of course there could (or should?) be exceptional cases like the rare possibility to get one of those races as a companion through a random event or a special quest or something like that. So it would be something very special.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.