Topic: Injuries Need to be Toned Down

• Author
    Participant

I like the injury system but it’s duration/cost is too high for any fledgling company.

A Smashed Hand does sound like an incredibly serious injury and this is reflected by -40% to both fighting stats and takes around 1-5 (might be more?) days to get healed. 5 days? I can’t afford to have someone in my troop not pulling their weight but I can’t just sack him. He’s my second best troop. I can’t bench him because I need the man power. His inability to contribute to the fight properly will cost him or another brother, at best, an injury or, at worst, his life. Getting them healed at the priest is a good option but I don’t have the money to feed, pay, heal, repair, hire, and re-equip my men with the added cost of paying some monks to speed things up a bit.

I have trouble vocalizing my sentiments so I hope the above rambling was enough to sort of convey what I’m trying to say.

P.S. the injury system has made me rage quit so much it brings me shame. It just feels like too much.

Participant

I’m not sure a agree, what you’ve written sounds like an interesting problem. You have a man that you want to keep despite his short-term disability, so you scrape by going without some repairs, selling what you need to, and looking for some low-risk contracts with an advanced payments, or just finding some small game.

For me these aspects are when the game is at its most interesting, but maybe we differ in that regard, and what we need is the ability to tailor the run’s difficulty with the injuries, recruitment costs and such.

Something I would suggest is that I’ve always found recruitment costs to be a bit too high, and doing wages every day by level quite unaccommodating and arbitrary, and I’d love for that to maybe be reworked, so that in your situation having a couple of temps becomes more viable, or you pay less to keep mercs in reserve, or something along those lines.

Participant

The injury system is in a good place right now.

I even have a couple of guys who suffered permanent injuries with me, still remember the fight – my first against Orcwarriors – in wich my best ranged brother got ‘Traumatized’ and think of it everytime I see the injury.

It adds so much character and gritty realism to the game, please keep it.

(Edit: I also don’t think they’re too expensive to treat either, you normally get more from every fight/contract the brother got injured in.)

Participant

The injury system looks good now. i agree that it makes game more interesting in general. All what we need – it is the information about enemy injury and working head’s injuries…i created the special super man 11 level master with flail – a blow to the head had killed hundreds of enemies … and did not see any injuries on them )

Participant

The whole point of the thing is basically to force you hire more than 12 people.

If they made it less serious, you could just ignore the injuries and keep using the injured people.

This way you are forced to hire backup fighters and rotate them.

Participant

I really like the injury system but I do agree healing is a bit steep early game.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen an enemy with a permanent injury at the onset of the battle, not that I’ve been really looking for it since the update. It seems to me a way to balance the injury system is to make sure that the enemy is similarly afflicted with a rng chance to spawn with temporary or permanent injuries. I imagine that bandits and the like would be more likely to be found hurt in some way due to lack of treatment in the wilds while knights and the like would have been protected or healed for the most part due to the armor and currency backing them.

Participant

I like injuries system a lot, both the idea and the way it is implemented.

But can we have more different perma injuries that do not completely cripple the soldier? Losing 30% of melee attack/defense is usually the end the journey pretty much for any veteran. I also like injuries that decrease one stat and increase another, like brain damage. Also would be cool to see some veterans to learn to decrease the impact of the injury (like only 10% penalty instead of 30%).

And can treated injury have only 50% stat penalty?

Participant

Thanks for the reply, guys.

Like I said, though, I like the injury system and it really does add depth to the game. I’m on day 109 on my current Ironman Veteran run and after the first couple of in-game weeks it really did become “smoothish” sailing. What I mean is: I can afford to keep my guys healthy, have replacements with equipment at hand, and enough cash-flow to try to over-come any major hurdles. The injury system DOES keep the later game interesting, unpredictable and exciting with a nice sense of dread when you face those green skins or those who once were.

Started another band of brothers to “co-op” play with a friend, @ day 20, a lot less unfortunate injuries this time around but not any less dead men. That’s RNG I suppose.

I’m not sure a agree, what you’ve written sounds like an interesting problem. You have a man that you want to keep despite his short-term disability, so you scrape by going without some repairs, selling what you need to, and looking for some low-risk contracts with an advanced payments, or just finding some small game. (…)

Something I would suggest is that I’ve always found recruitment costs to be a bit too high, and doing wages every day by level quite unaccommodating and arbitrary, and I’d love for that to maybe be reworked, so that in your situation having a couple of temps becomes more viable, or you pay less to keep mercs in reserve, or something along those lines.

It’s something like that. I don’t forego repairs, food and equipment over a troop who I would like to have in the long run. Doing this usually leads to more dead and injured on top of the regular batch. I like your idea on tweaking the wage mechanics a little.

It adds so much character and gritty realism to the game, please keep it.

I also don’t think they’re too expensive to treat either, you normally get more from every fight/contract the brother got injured in.

I like gritty realism as much as the next guy but I also like fun. My point is, early game is brutal. Super brutal. As in, all my initial investment is gone because some poor sod got his hand crushed or artery cut, so now I’m stuck looking for and doing trade caravan guard duty.
    As for price, I agree that once you get to doing contracts that cash in 800+ crowns treatment is cheap cheap. On the other hand, when your contracts pay as little as 400 crowns and treatment can cost at least 80 crowns. 3 injuries in this case and you’re broke or deciding which one gets to live slightly longer. Meaning you’re going to have to spend 160 crowns on a new troop because let’s face it anything cheaper isn’t usually going to live past that first fight. Maybe I just over-think things and should just deal with the entrails as they hit the fan.

The whole point of the thing is basically to force you hire more than 12 people. (…)

Except I can’t afford this early game. It’s either hire tons of cheap troops or equip a smaller but more skilled group. Quantity vs Quality. Eventually cheap troops will run out, for the time, in the area.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen an enemy with a permanent injury at the onset of the battle (…)

Neither have I. I don’t think it’s currently a thing.

But can we have more different perma injuries that do not completely cripple the soldier?

I have more problems with temporary injuries. They are heaps more common and a constant problem I have to deal with. Permanent afflictions have only really happen to my troops when they get ktfo and depending on the affliction he is either used as fodder or maintains previous duties.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.