Topic: Layers of Armour

Tagged: 

• Author
    Participant

I think it would be nice if rather than buying entirely new bits of amour you layered them up. So you get your gambeson, then as you get more money you can buy a mail shirt and put it over the gambeson. When you get yet more money you can then put a coat of plates lamellar or a brigandine over the top. The same for heads, you would have gambeson cap, mail coif then a metal helmet of your choice. Finally it would be nice to have the option to put a surcoat with the company heraldry on it over the armour.

Participant

you do realize how heavy that would be right? That would not be something that the average person (a battle bro) could not take. I see where you are coming from with this suggestion, but I dont think that it would work well in the game. As for the company’s seal or mark, i agree with this, maybe a little fee to have it stitched into the existing armor.

Ask me about your God

Participant

Historically coat of plates/brigandine was worn over mail which was worn over a gambeson. So its heavy yes but but not so heavy as to be impossible or even that much of a problem (we are talking professional fighting men after all) its just the trade you pay for superior protection.

Scale was typical worn over just a gambeson rather than mail and lamellar was somtimes worn over mail and sometimes just a gambeson. Of course nether of these were especialy popular in western Europe at the time period Battle Brothers takes as inspiration. In the west scale was a rare armour and lamellar was pretty much unknown other than to the Norse (who typical used coir boli (hardened leather) rather than metal and wore it over mail if the person could afford so.

Participant

It’s a good idea for crafting. Perhaps it could fit with a company’s blacksmith?

Keymaster

Some of us did a lot of reenactment over the years so we are aware of the layered armors and how they were worn or better combined into heavier armors.

When you look at the armors in the game you can almost always see various layers like gambeson, mail and then a coat of plates for example. We treat all of the higher tier armors as layered but in order to simplify the game and item management we decided to not model the individiual layers. To be honest we considered a system like you suggested it in an early stage of the game but ultimately we decided to not go with it. We think the additional realism and choice that come with a system like that could be a little too much for the average player.

Overhype Studios - follow us!

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Of course offer correct and interesting. But I think simpler (considering the price of the plate armor and endurance requirements) take as a gaming convention that you buy directly the plate armor WITH chain mail and gambeson new set. Agree it is more logical than to require a team of 3 people to alter the mechanics of the whole armor and redressing character. Although if they are ever implemented it I would be only “yes”

Participant

Some of us did a lot of reenactment over the years so we are aware of the layered armors and how they were worn or better combined into heavier armors.

When you look at the armors in the game you can almost always see various layers like gambeson, mail and then a coat of plates for example.

I did notice and I like it a lot that you can clearly see on the model that there is clearly padding under it. I think maybe that was what gave me the idea. Though I can see that for some players it could add a little too much complexity especially those who are not familiar with medieval armour and how it was worn.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.