Topic: More Mid-battle Statistics

• Author
    Participant

Hey guys, first off a bit of a disclaimer, I haven’t bought the game (yet) but I’m looking into it and I’ve talked to someone who owned the game and he told me to suggest this so… just know that I have only watched this game played and have not played it myself.

Even though I haven’t played this game myself, I have played many turn-based strategy games with RNG elements, including the free, open-source game Battle for Wesnoth (BfW) and my suggestion is to pretty much copy their “Statistics” tab because I think it should be in every game with RNG chance to hit and/or damage ranges.

BfW has a statistics tab that basically tells you how lucky/unlucky you have been in this round and in this battle. It takes your actual damage (received and dealt) and divides it by your expected (mean) damage (received and dealt), then subtracts 100% (just so it’s positive for more, negative for less). It calculates mean damage by summing the expected damage from each attack. The expected damage of a given attack is the attack’s % chance to hit, multiplied by the attack’s mean damage.

For example, an attack that has a 50% chance to hit that has a damage range of 10-30 damage has a mean damage of (30+10)/2=20, with an expected damage of 20*0.5=10, so it would add that to the total expected damage for the fight. Let’s say you make 4 of these attacks and miss 3 of them, and on your 1 hit you did 22 damage.

(30 + 10) / 2 = 20 mean damage for each attack
    20 * .5 = 10 expected damage for each attack
    10 * 4 = 40 sum of the expected damage for all attacks
    22 / 40 = 55% actual damage dealt divided by total expected damage
    55% – 100% = -45%
    (I don’t know what this stat is called, I call it “spread”, “luck”, or “deviation” personally.)

Now let’s say your next attack has a 20% chance to hit for 20-30 damage and you hit for 30. Your new “spread” would be.
    (30 + 20) / 2 = 25 mean damage for the attack
    25 * .2 = 5 expected damage for the attack
    40 + 5 = 45 total expected damage
    22 + 30 = 52 total actual damage
    52 / 45 = 115% total actual damage divided by total expected damage
    115% – 100% = +15%
    So with that 1 super lucky attack I jumped from a negative to a positive.

BfW has this stat for damage dealt and damage received for each individual round as well as a total for the battle and I think it helps me with dealing with unlucky streaks. A lot of other games I ask myself “Am I playing poorly or am I just getting unlucky right now?” and these stats actually answer that question. If my guys are dropping left and right and I have a +30% damage received and -20% damage dealt, I take comfort in knowing it may not be all my fault haha.

If I didn’t explain it clearly enough or I made a mistake in this wall of text please let me know. Also let me know if you would/would not like to see this and why!

Inactive

This is an extremely useful statistic, something that would be very very useful to have when testing tactics and whatnot. If it’s possible to implement this, or something analogous, I’d love to see that at some point.

Participant

>> If I didn’t explain it clearly enough or I made a mistake in this wall of text please let me know.

I think it’s pretty clear, especially in this sentence.

“Am I playing poorly or am I just getting unlucky right now?” and these stats actually answer that question.

This really add the flavors especially when you have contemplated for 3 hours in a very tough battle, you were very proud and confident that your master plan would bring you victory yet the result was complete defeat. Being defeated after so much effort is really sad, but at least now you know whether you’re the narcissist or the cursed.

I didn’t say I enjoyed playing Battle for Wesnoth, right? Okay, then everything I’ve said should have more objectivity.

============================
    Regarding statistics, I would like see the performance statistics for individual brothers. For example, I wanna know the average damage dealt by a brother in last 10 battles. So I can see how is everyone doing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.