Topic: More suggestions/questions

• Author
    Participant

Just a couple of ideas for additional world map tiles. I’ve no doubt that you already discussed whether they should be implemented or not, so take this more as a couple of questions:

Will there mountain passes? This could open possibilities for new types of battlefields in mountainous areas and a couple of new enemy types.

What about the sea? Some impassable ocean tiles would give the country some “shape”. It would make the world map look more interesting and, again, open other possibilities for more content.
    “More content” are two strong words, but perhaps, if BB is successful, what about a “Seafaring” DLC? An expansion with oceans, isles, ships, pirates(“vikings”) and sea monsters!

Participant

Since tiles are mentioned I’d ask something here too.
    In one of your screenshots the brothers and monsters are standing next to some sort of shack or barn. But in all the Let’s plays all fighting, even when assaulting some hideout, takes place in the wilderness. So, does the procedure to generate a battlefield ever take nearby buildings into account and will any of these be in the game? Defending an actual village with huts and shacks does open a lot more tactical possibilities than the wilderness each time, nicht wahr?

hut

Participant

If I remember correctly it was mentioned some time ago that battlegrounds like forts and kind of dungeons are on the roadmap. So hopefully raided villages and towns aswell.

"I am a Paladin!"
    >OMG, Malthus, there are no damn paladins in Battle Brothers...<
    "OK, OK! Then I´m a wrecked down minstrel drunkard pretending to be a paladin, singing so wrong in the midst of battle that even the undead run in fear... Better?!"

Participant

So, does the procedure to generate a battlefield ever take nearby buildings into account and will any of these be in the game?

There are going to be dungeons and caves, so there surely will be some kind of representation when you’re fighting at a town, bridge or any other kind of settlement or construction.

Keymaster

We’re at a stage now where we feel we have the minimum variety of what a worldmap should have in order to work. Different terrain is something we’ll definately add, but as with most things, time is the limiting factor. It’s always a trade-off; do we want more interesting contracts first? Do we add more enemy types? Do we invest into different worldmap terrain? The ocean is indeed something we’ve planned, as are unique sights peppered across the lands, like an active vulcano. Mountains can already be crossed, albeit very slowly and using more provisions than normal to keep your men healthy.

It’s obviously a bit early to talk about DLC, but indeed, just from a general perspective, a ‘Seafaring DLC’ would be what we’d like to add. A chunky expansion that adds a whole new dimension to gameplay. Another popular vague DLC concept is the ‘Oriental DLC’ which would add medieval-age oriental equipment, character backgrounds, story events, monsters and southern terrain-types like desert. Like you touched on, Jago, the introduction of just a new terrain type opens up a lot of possibilities for neutral beasts that would roam on that specific terrain, for example in the desert.

It’s pretty much the same with the assets for tactical combat. We’re going to add a lot more of them – for dungeons, caves, ruins, villages and other locations present on the worldmap. This is likely going to be one of the things we’ll tackle relatively soonish after the Early Access release, not least because we’re a bit sick of the green plains ourselves by now.

The image showing the shack above is not a screenshot but a mockup, i.e. something composed in photoshop to test things out. Adding the shack to the tactical combat maps in a satisfying manner proved difficult because of the hex-based nature of the maps and we didn’t find the time yet to really work out a good solution. Hopefully, if the game sells well enough, we’ll be able to start working fulltime on Battle Brothers and really make some progress :)

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Our money is yours so get it out already :D

Edit: I´m glad i didn´t hear of your game a year ago but only last fall. I would not have been able to stand waiting a year to get my hands on it.

"I am a Paladin!"
    "OK, OK! Then I´m a wrecked down minstrel drunkard pretending to be a paladin, singing so wrong in the midst of battle that even the undead run in fear... Better?!"

Participant

Im with Malthus me and my brother will be glad to support your team and buy this awesome game ^^

Participant

Hey Rap, it’s great to hear that you’re planning to implement so much stuff. I’m looking forward to it!

Participant

No need to open a new thread for this; it’s about the intuitiv use of buttons.

It bothers me a little that pressing spacebar is ending a turn instead of delaying it. Spacebar is much easier to access than backspace, and if I accidentally press it, I waste a turn. That happend before, because spacebar “feels” like a pause button – pausing or delaying a process.
    Backspace on the other hand “feels” more final, like ending or canceling something. It’s harder to access and I only want to use it if I’m sure that all actions are done.

I know that’s nitpicking, it just feels odd and I wanted to say that.

Participant

I’d agree with Jago on this one. Space means pause in most games… Are keys not configurable?

Participant

It´s just a minor question i want to ask, so starting a new topic would be too much.

I found it a bit confusing that you use a bunch of bolts/arrows as graphic for a quiver of bolts and a quiver of bolts as graphic for ammunition. Were these two just switched unadvertently?

"I am a Paladin!"

Keymaster

I actually had that same thought about the icons as I watched one of the Let’s Play videos today. We’ll look into it. Same for the keys.

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

Space for pause/wait.
    Enter for End turn.

Or at last make a buttons UI bigger.
    Or both.

Keymaster

Changed it.

Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.