Topic: New Enemy: Giants

• Author
    Participant

Doing more brainstorming. Thinking of what other enemy/monster could fit into the game. Giants seem to come into mind, since they are kinda low-fantasy-ish. Also be fearsome to face.
    =================================

Giants
    Strengths:
    *High damage. Any successful hit will almost certain a kill.
    *Lots Lots HP
    *Immune to Stun
    *Immune to relocating skills and effects – Knock Pack, Shove, skipped impaler push, etc.
    *Have a special attacks, and good reach.
    Normal Attacks: Very high damage and ignores high percentage of armor. But even if didn’t hit, will move the target unit off one space.

Special Attacks:
    Grab/Kick: Toss a unit about 3-4 space away, doing damages.
    Smack Down: A 2-range attack that hit units in both straight line space.
    Trunk Swing: Damage all 3 space around it. Knock back 1 space (if survived)

Weaknesses:
    *Easy target. Not much of dodge.
    *Slow. Possible to run of fatigue.
    *Low accuracy. Misses a lot.
    *Little to no armor.

Warband:
    Usually with its own. So maybe 3-5 Giants, with some wolf on the side (their pet).
    Sometime work with Goblin and even orcs.

Tactics:
    Front line smasher. Just walking to the enemy try to smack them. Really good in breaking up enemy formations.

Nightmare mode:
    Imagine Undead Giants or even full-plated giants.

Participant

I like the idea of giants. Not to totally trash your idea, but what you’re describing sounds like it would be extremely dangerous even to a band of 100% optimized brothers at max level.

Participant

One hit kills are never fun, the orc berserkers are already bad news enough.

Instead they should stagger, stun and knock-back more (as you already described).

Participant

I agree that the game needs a “boss beast” kind of enemy (in effect, an AFV, which I need to team-storm). I also agree that one-hit killing machines are too hard to handle. I won’t go to a fight that may cost me 3-4 top-trained men even if it goes fairly well.

I actually propose mammoths – beasts that just travel over the map like wild animals (perhaps seasonally?). If you want to, you can try to “hunt” them for meat, fur and tusks. They usually keep in the uninhabited parts, but if some of them go too near villages, the people there will hire you to shoo them off. You might get an old huge male go nuts and stomp over nearby settlements from time to time…

You could even add an ecological element to it – if you kill too many of them (or too many calves), they will come in smaller numbers next year.

Participant

Oh, sorry, EDIT: I wanted to add that the “one-hit kill” nature could be solved if you had a way to disable the attacks somehow. As with the mammoth – if you properly ensnare it in nets, it won’t be able to use its “stomp” ability (unless in heavy armor, instakill 500 dmg), just the “tusk” attack, which is weaker (but still highly damaging if it hits unarmored men).

There could even be specialized mammoth-hunting gear (super-heavy axes, team spears). Something like adjusted and refined large orc weapons.

Participant

Another great suggestion, actionjack. I would love to see giants (possibly taking up more than 1 tile?) in the game. If they are slow and easy to hit, it may force the player to adapt to a skirmish type of hit and run tactic, adding depth to the gameplay.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.