Topic: [Suggestions] List

• Author
    Participant

First I wanted to start of by saying I already like the game as it is. Still, it has the potential to be even more. I have listed a few suggestions, of which I would think, that could contribute to the overall experience you would like your audience to have. I apologize in advance if I have listed some suggestions that were already submitted. I did not scan the entire forum for previous suggestion.

1. [AI Mercenaries]
    There could be AI controlled mercenaries (player controlled in case of multiplayer) on the map who complete contract the same way as the player does. This way some quests might be a race against time. It enchances the feeling of rivalry. These mercenaries you can try to destroy, assimilate or work together with.

2. [Robbery]
    It would add to the game if there were events where you get a message you got mugged/robbed and you could give chase to the culprit(s). You can give chase or chose not to take a risk. Not doing anything would be bad for morale. But giving chase may lead to an ambush.

3. [Betrayal]
    In case of extreme low morale and slim odds it would be possible for certain group members to abandon you in the fight and try to take a part of your gold with you. Another option is that party members could get persuaded to join other mercenary bands or try to make their own. If you just let them either without repercussion that would be bad for morale.

4. [Base of operations]
    It would be great if we could eventually own a plot of land or a building in a city or the world map. I have several options here. First of all buying a building as a guild hall in a town/city. In the building you could get special contract come to you and sent AI controlled members to do quests (maybe even in realtime). This could also be a place to store weapons and loot (in case of robbery/betrayal or retreating from a battle). Also you could spend some coin in the guild hall to let your men enjoy themselves (drinking for example) and boost morale for a set period of time.

Instead of buying a building in a town you can start your own mercenary stronghold somewhere on the map. It will start off small (wooden ramshackle building) and while take effort and expensive to grow into a true fortress. Here you store your loot, gold and provisions. You can switch party members here and choose who will defend the keep. The keep can get attacked by other factions (bad relations) or other races. You may even attract a blacksmith and shopkeepers to your fortress that can help you with goods.

Maybe AI controlled mercenaries can also get a base of operations which you can destroy, take over or loot.

5. [Recruit unique characters]
    Some rumors may indicate where you can recruit an unique character. Unique characters will have an unique appearance and maybe slightly improved stats. Completing their quest lets you recruit them. You could link follow-up quests to these characters.

6. [Unique item rumors]
    Rumors in towns where to find unique gear. This will set you on a quest.

7. [Good and Evil]
    Characters are alligned to either good or evil. Based on your decisions you can either please or aggitated. This may be a trigger to certain events like a falling out or a betrayal.

8. [Fame and notoriety]
    Records how the people of the world see your band of mercenaries. The quests you can take may vary based on this. Being famous and doing overall good deeds may let you get more quests to protect, rescue or defend. While being notorious nets you more quests that will aks you to destroy, kidnap, kill and steal. It may also play a role in how the populance reacts. For example, being notorious gives a bonus when recruiting shady and evil characters like murderers and rogues. Being famous can give a bonus to good alligned characters.

9. [Mounts]
    Mounts can let you travel the worldmap faster. They also save you fatigue in battle and let you move 1 tile further. They could even grant some special abilities to use in a battle, like a charge. Mounts can also be killed in battle. So a player has the choice to dismount before a battle or in battle (takes up the turn) and in the latter the mounts can still be killed when the enemy gets to them or in case of retreat. Pikes and spears would be more effective to mounts.

10. [Coat of arms]
    When you have a base of operations you can repaint shields and coats to give them your coat of arms.

11. [Deceive]
    If there is an option to paint your coat of arms on equipment it opens the possibility of pretending to be a different faction. This way you can incite war or make other mercs/faction lose/gain fame/notoriety and profit. This will result in being hunted by the faction that you chose to pretend to be. This may also help you in doing quests related with a fame/notoriety bonus that you don’t want to have.

These are my suggestions so far. I look forward to playing the complete game with or without any suggestions.

Keep up the good work!

Participant

Hi Souwly, and everyone! :)

I particularly like your first suggestion. It could be really nice if some particular contracts have a limit of time to be completed, either because it could be done by another group of AI-controled mercenaries as you suggested, or just because the contract can’t be completed if you wait too long

(for example : “Someone saw a big white werewolf, which is rare, in a forest close to the city lately. A merchant wants you to bring him back his hide before we loose his track. You have one day to find and kill it, then the contract will be broken.”)

I’ve always loved quests with a limited amount of time to complete, because it adds some tensions. I hope we will see something like this in this game!

Participant

Hey everyone,

First, I really like the mercenary concept. Rival groups would be a great way to breath even more life into the world and I would love a system where you could compete, assist, or hinder rival groups. For example you run into a Band from another town that paid them to eliminate the goblin stronghold. You either ignore them and try to just complete it first, you agree to work together and split the total reward, or you decide to attack both the Band and the goblins in order to try and collect on both of the bounties that were put out.

Robbery may be interesting but I am not sure I would be too happy if I, as a seasoned, grizzled, battle hardened warrior with 12 similar warriors got a random prompt that a street urchin had blackjacked me and taken my gold. It might be immersion breaking, I would however enjoy little one off “role play lite” events were an event pops up with a few options on how to handle it and it plays out based on your choice and a bit of RNG.

Betrayal should be a thing however I am not sure I like the idea of them betraying mid fight. I could definitely see a system where they break and flee and disappear from your band IE they just never stop running regardless of if you win or lose but a mid fight side switch seems a little out there.

Base of operations, yes completely agree. This would be a great addition in my opinion. Anything that lets us feel a sense of progress and making a mark on the world is good.

Unique characters you have to look for is the first one I completely disagree with. I think the instant you have unique characters you completely change the nature of the game from “sandbox merc game” to “adventure game where you collect your super team to conquer the world”. I think it would be cool to have some extremely rare to spawn brothers to hire that could have higher stats (and upkeep) but unique characters that have a quest to get them would change the nature of the game in my opinion.

Unique items I think would be a great lore building tool. They could have mildly unique looks and those could involve quests to get. It would be fun to travel the world looking for the lost armor of some forgotten king or something.

For your 7 & 8 I think the best bet would be to simply roll those together under the fame and notoriety idea. That would determine how patrols and caravans react to you and eventually you become so famous that even, evenly matched goblin hoards attempt to avoid you.

Mounts would make combat very different and maybe not in a bad way. I am fine with how it is now but I think horses could work if they are balanced properly. They should grant certain abilities, like a charge or something and maybe a trample.

the coat of arms function is a good idea but I don’t see why it wouldn’t be something you could do anywhere as long as you had paint.

11 is a HUGE idea which sounds awesome but maybe extremely difficult to program and control. I could also see it being abused to just force AI factions into wars they cant win so the player could profit immensely

I don’t really have any ideas on top of yours at the moment just wanted to comment and through my support behind most of them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.