Topic: My opinion about this game

• Author
    Participant
    Participant

When it comes to armor I tend to get really pasionate and I understand completly if they wont change their system because one player wants it that way. However this only means that once the game is finished, I just have to mod the game to suit my taste. I have done it for 2 other games before, I would have done the same for battle brothers if I had access to the data files :D

Speed shooting is a thing but pales in comparison to actual combat archery when it comes to lethallity.

I’d definitely be interested in a mod like that if you decide to make it. :D It sounds like it would make for a completely different playstyle, which would keep things fresh down the road. That’s the kind of modding that seriously increase replayability.

Honestly speaking, I did exactly this for a game called battle for westnoth, it took me a week to change all the values and balance for each and every unit of every single faction but it was so worth it :D

Battle Brothers is basically everything I ever hoped to find in Wesnoth and more. I guess it’s a free game, but the gameplay is still seriously disappointing after years of development.

GOD check this out :)

<iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/BEG-ly9tQGk?feature=oembed&#8221; allowfullscreen=”” height=”281″ width=”500″ frameborder=”0″></iframe>

Ah, that does make a lot more sense, though I’ll stick with my current mental image of Meeky until I’m forced to adjust it.
    That guy’s pretty good, though he probably wouldn’t be able to do that in a real fight. You really want to shoot them BEFORE they get that close. :P

Participant

That guy’s pretty good, though he probably wouldn’t be able to do that in a real fight. You really want to shoot them BEFORE they get that close.

Precisely my problem with people bringing him up in conversations about archers. He also makes a lot of false claims in his recent videos, etc. He’s good, but there’s a lot of reasons I dislike it when people that praise him like some sort of legend.

So when I threaten to beat someone with chicken, it be serious, yo.

And yeah, on heavy armor’s mobility: it’s generally very, very mobile. The problem is that continuously using it on foot can and will wear you out, which I believe is what the fatigue system is meant to represent.

Participant

A mobillity demo of a guy wearing full plate

I have seen guys do handstands in plate.

I have run a mile with a 40 lb backpack on.

That doesn’t mean the plate or the backpack doesn’t encumber us.

Participant

A Response to Lars Andersen: a New Level of Archery

A mobillity demo of a guy wearing full plate

It’s the balance question, rather than the realism question.

I could agree that certain weapons should penetrate certain armors as much as they do now (although it’d then make certain weapons useless later in game), but when facing enemies such as Orcs – even the young ones – I find their ability to deal a massive amount of damage to both armor and health to be accurate. Furthermore, if chainmail armor could protect you easily for most of the game, then there wouldn’t be a reason to wear plate armor, which increases the amount of protection by large, but at cost of fatigue (which is done for balance reasons).

I won’t say some balancing shouldn’t happen, but that’s different from re-doing the whole system, like you propose to do.

Participant

Realism should never come in the way of gameplay. As long as the flow of the game is good, not getting tedious with unnecessary burdens there is no problem. I can understand that you like as close to reality medival combat as possible, long tiring battles etc, but I sure don’t. The current lenght of battles witht this system is fine, the armor scaling does it’s job with the current settings with aviability, cost, compared durability, etc.

Yes I’d definetely would check your mod for the armor, but highly doubt that I would do more than few battles.

That archer clip while looks good, is a non usual stunt at this time of age. And realy shouldn’t be a guidline to medieval army regulated archery.

I won’t say some balancing shouldn’t happen, but that’s different from re-doing the whole system, like you propose to do.

Exaclty. While there could be done tweaks to have more difference between armors, a full re-do should not be happening.

Participant

OP you should not feel sorry about your opinion

we all know it is early access and your opinion is just as good as anyone elses, infact more so because we all want this game to be awesome

I however really like the armour system it is such a moot area

some games reduce damage by x number and you still take health damage, some games do it differently altogether

I actually like the simplicity of this system and the tactical ramifications of the heavies, controversially i think for this style of game they have got the armour damage HP damage in a good state, it sort of echoes i amd going to cut your chainmail to ribbons eventually and it wont save you

the Map does blow it is a boring cookie cutter slog through each new layout the lack of any real events on the map make a less interesting gaming experience, size plays a large factor in this and lack of dungeons etc they could do loads with the map to keep immersion higher

Quests are just plain awful – please move around the map slowly for this amount of gold should be the general quest – but again the quests side is so easy to beef up do this for them etc collect 20 ghoul teeth to stop the plague in this village there are a gazillion things they could do and some really interesting things act as a reserve to the great battle here etc 100 v 100, protect the lord, siege

they could do loads with this you could reach a standing with a fort and have two groups marching around or more start taking villages for yourself

I would like to see loads of things put in, including taking orc armour so i can kit my guys out

Participant

I would like to see loads of things put in, including taking orc armour so i can kit my guys out

Oh yeah.

Participant

I actually agree with Gabbagundam on the weapons/armour ficticiousness.

Although I can easily be considered an ass-kisser to this game and its devs due to my enthusiasm about it, I do agree they made many very strange decisions regarding some weapon stats and effects. Some glaring ones being that swords do no piercing damage, while maces do extra armour damage (they could dent plate armour, but realistically they do absolutly zero damage to chain mail and gambesons), spears are close melee weapons here, so what’s the advantage of pointy metal on a long stick, if you can only fight with it at same range as with a knife?

Here is a bit of a graphic suggestion I sent to the devs before the game was released, where I split weapons not just in piercing, cutting and blunt, but also close melee and distance melee.

Note, this wasn’t meant as a fully historic representation, but just a more logical game interpretation of the various possible weapons, reasons to have them in and their advantages and disadvantages.

Participant

Let me reiterate that dissenting opinions are GOOD and create discussion. So, don’t stop having dissenting opinions; provide them when you feel they need to be provided.

Concerning swords dealing piercing damage: I certainly wouldn’t be averse to seeing that for some, not all, swords. Half-swording and such was definitely a thing; most swords were designed to pierce as well as slash; but to me, simplicity of game mechanics means you should have 2 abilities on a one-handed weapon, and having piercing on most swords’ normal attacks would feel odd.

I think the shortsword should DEFINITELY have a thrusting sort of main attack since it looks roughly around the size of a gladius or the like, something made for thrusting more than slashing. Not sure if the arming sword and noble sword should, since their “main” attack mode is slashing – but I wouldn’t be averse to some partial piercing on their attacks. The falchion (IIRC) is a slashing weapon and should remain as such.

I could definitely see small tweaks like this being made to fine-tune the weapon/armor system, but yeah: huge overhauls of the whole system aren’t a good thing at this stage of development.

Participant

Btw, you always wear a gambeson below your chainmail, so someone wearing chainmail armor is not more prone to blunt attacks than a guy who just wears a gambeson.

Participant

I agree that bashing weapons should damage armor a bit less, but inflict health damage, to represent them bypassing the armor by some amount.

On spears – spear gives accuracy bonus and unique ability, although I do agree that once enemy is past spearwall (which is stamina costly too) spears lose a lot of their power, especially when your soldiers are leveled enough to make them hit reliably with any weapon.

Participant

I disagree with the armour. I wish there were slight variants. Like padded chainmail for increased blunt defense. Or with a plate cuirass overtop the chain against spears and swords. But the damage received is fine and scales well with enemies, perks can augment this and make it better. I just wish there wasn’t a level cap. Maybe the frequency of perks and attributes gained can decrease after level 11. But I can wait till a mod comes out for this because i won’t find any support for it on here.

Participant

I agree that bashing weapons should damage armor a bit less, but inflict health damage, to represent them bypassing the armor by some amount.

On spears – spear gives accuracy bonus and unique ability, although I do agree that once enemy is past spearwall (which is stamina costly too) spears lose a lot of their power, especially when your soldiers are leveled enough to make them hit reliably with any weapon.

I believe the weapon health and armor damage is fine as it is, the suggestion made before that too much realism may ruin the gameplay is valid. Btw, the 1 handed hammer always does 10hp damage when hit, so that kinda simulates that point.

Spears are a very good weapon to have in any battle: best weapon to hit vampires (very low armor but high meelee def), lost souls (die in one hit, but very high meelee def) and also to hit targets that are in a shield wall.

The only weapon I really dislike is the flail, I’d rather use a spear to bypass shield def.

Participant

Doesn’t the flail deal more damage to armor besides bypassing shield’s bonus to defense?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.