Topic: pikes and the dreaded 80%

Tagged: 

• Author
    Participant

That explains why I hadn’t found it yet, despite specifically looking for it. Another reason to look forward to the next update.

Participant

To clarify, by saying Pike I was referring to Billhooks.

I’ve started a new game now and find that I still miss far more than I should with Billhooks. I’m still low enough level that I don’t get near a tooltip 80% hit chance, but still hit more often at 50%-60% than I was in my previous game at 80+.

I do find I hit more often than I should with my archers at the 5%-25% range. My successful battle percentage has gone up significantly this time by having 5 archers that lob off hail mary arrows every round regardless of tooltip.

I’ve also found my life is MUCH easier if I give every melee character a spear as opposed to sword/hammer etc. Is there a natural hit% bonus to spears that is just not noted on the tooltips?

Keymaster

The Thrust skill of spears has a +20% chance to hit, and it says so in the tooltip. The Slash skill of swords has a +10% chance to hit.

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

It is noted on the tooltip of the attack. +20%

Attachments:
    Keymaster

It would actually make a lot of sense to show this in the targeting tooltip as well, though. I’ll add it.

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Participant

I don’t think human beings generally are wired to eyeball percentages and gauge success. If the devs have double-checked the THCs for combat I trust they’re accurate. I also use bows and billhooks in every battle and I have no problem with their THCs. Yes, I’m disappointed when he misses that 72% chance 3 (or 5 or 8) times in a row. Doesn’t mean the math is off.

Participant

I dunno, I don’t go by the %’s anymore and simply go the route of high fatigue characters in order to offset the finicky chances. If I see an 75-80+ chance to hit, I go defensive expecting it to miss. I’m in awe when it does hit at times!

Usually in other games a 75-80% hit seems to be a hit the majority of times, this one seems the opposite way. That may be just the perception of things though. Nothing gets me grumbling than missing an 80% hit and then being sniped by a quick shot archer from 7 tiles away when I’m hiding in a bush. Crack shot indeed.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.