Topic: pikes and the dreaded 80%

Tagged: 

• Author
    Participant

Hi,

First, thanks for the fun game. I love the regular updates, and am looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Pikes – Please check the math when using pikes. If my pikemen show a hit chance of 80-86 they will miss. Every. Single. Time. I’ve been keeping notes in my current game and it’s in the 20’s now. I’ll even hit in the 10-15% range on occasion, but never in the 80’s.

Spearwall and Orc charge – For some reason, Orcs ignore the spearwall when charging, then stun my guys. I’m hoping this is on the to be fixed list. It’s like saying Paper beats Scissors. Makes my brain hurt.

Rampaging orcs. Is there a wild difference in each random map as far as spawns are concerned? In my newest game, there are towns that are constantly under attack by 3-5 orc groups at a time. No more patrols and even after eliminating an orc base near one of the towns, the orcs come back each day and demolish it. My last map had an odd scout group here and there. I’ve got about 10-15 active groups roaming near all the roads. Basically I’m trying to climb mountains to avoid them.

Inactive

@syric89

Spearwall (just like almost all actions) is not guaranteed to work. The Orc (or Orcs) got lucky.

We are after all dealing in percentages. If you have 80% chance to hit, then you also have 20% chance to miss. Not to sound patronising, but you do have a chance to miss, and you could have just been very unlucky.

Perhaps it needs testing to check that its not a bug? But like I said, you could have just had very, very bad luck; it happens.

Participant

I suppose it could be just a run of bad luck, though a run of 20+ attacks seems excessive.

Anyone else experience the rampaging orcs throughout the map? I forgot to note that this current game is Easy Difficulty as well.

Participant

Difficulty has no effect on anything else than starting money, item availability, prices and if leaving mercs take their equipment with them.

"I am a Paladin!"
    >OMG, Malthus, there are no damn paladins in Battle Brothers...<
    "OK, OK! Then I´m a wrecked down minstrel drunkard pretending to be a paladin, singing so wrong in the midst of battle that even the undead run in fear... Better?!"

Participant

You could post your log in the bugs section to be sure about the pike hit chance, it’s a newly introduced weapon after all.

Difficulty only affects your starting gold at the moment, so those Orcs were probably just you getting (un)lucky. Having to hide out in the mountains sounds rather exciting actually, very LotR-ish. :P

EDIT: Is that new? I have yet to see a merc leave, so I never noticed that.

Participant

No I have never seen one leaving, but hovering your mouse over the difficulty when starting a new game shows you an explanation what the difficulty does. That is where I have my information from. ;)

"I am a Paladin!"
    >OMG, Malthus, there are no damn paladins in Battle Brothers...<
    "OK, OK! Then I´m a wrecked down minstrel drunkard pretending to be a paladin, singing so wrong in the midst of battle that even the undead run in fear... Better?!"

Participant

Haha, I never bothered doing that. Just click and gogogogogo. Good to know. :D

Participant

Well, always new things to discover. The item aviability sure explains a lot.

Participant

The past two games i’ve dealt with nothing but rampaging orcs, the worst part being I have little idea how to effectively fight orcs without half the party dying to their grossly large weapons.

Participant

I haven’t found a pike yet, in a 90 day game. Could you post a screenshot?

Participant

He mean a spear. I am 110% sure.
    Or maybe javelins. Or even billhooks.
    Not so sure right now.
    Was there update when I was not watching?
    Content update?
    If not I gonna find this guy and throw him to the ghouls.

Participant

Sorry but the OP is right i have just turned up to rage about recent % chances you do not miss 10 52% chances in a row

you do not miss 7 85% chances in a row

really something after the last update is making me rage quit this game when you are missing 70% chances more regularly than your archers are making 30% chances

i know the % system i am old enough and ugly enough and played enough games to want to smash my monitor to bits to realize something is really fubar about some % chances

anyone had a 52% chance on a 2 handed weapon miss for 10 rounds? the only time he won was because it took so long the enemy ran away and then he hit

sorry but the % chances are pretty wrecked especially against Orcs

dont get me started on lost souls………

Participant

While I wish there was an optional combat log with far more detailed information, like the exact calculation of an attack including the chance to hit factors, the random roll itself and the result, in the meanwhile I repeat the gambler’s fallacy to myself like a mantra.

Participant

It might be a case of the percentage not fully representing all perk bonuses both of the participants have.

I know that with high attack there is even no need to look at the percentage you almost always hit.
    So far there were like 2 times when something felt off like my sellsword suddenly becoming unlucky and just can not hit the same target. Untill something changes like you swap the weapon or attack other target once or move someone into the zone. Like the guy just getting stuck on missing.
    But that happened only few times in my experience. Probably just a mind trick(attention to wrong >>>> than to right).

Keymaster

There is no Pike currently in the game, but it’ll be in fact added next. The assets are done already.

With the exception of hidden enemies blocking ranged attacks since 0.4.0.40, the hitchance % shown in the tooltips are accurate, as they’re the same that are used for calculating hits and misses. The game uses Mersenne Twister (MT19937) as RNG for equidistributed numbers. Feel free to suggest a fitting alternative.

Overhype Studios - follow us!
    Facebook Youtube
    Twitter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.