Topic: About the difficulties settings

• Author
    Participant

Firstly I have to say this is a wonderful game and I like it very much. But I can see there are some gamers not enjoying the current difficulties settings–they think it’s too hard! Maybe we can make better use of the easy mode?
    I am quite satisfied with the normal game mode–those imperfect characters, permanent death and the tough orcs–brings me a lot of FUN. But there are many casual gamers who don’t like a very difficult game or don’t have too much time for that. I think the two main issues–hitting rate and permanent death–are making them angry. I can’t see too much difference between the current easy mode and hard mod, so why not to rename the easy mode to something like casual mod and remove the permanent death, add a bonus 20% hitting rate to the player? That might be good for marketing and we can still enjoy the core mode:)

Participant

Honestly, I don’t think this game is suitable for people who dislike difficulty and character death, because the core game experience completely revolves around the concept of lethality. Taking those away essentially makes the combat pointless, because there is no source of tension anymore. The only thing you’d have left is winning or losing and tweaking your characters so that you lose less. The game is so much more than that though and a difficulty level that lacks this does not seem like a worthwhile feature.
    A casual player is probably not going to ever enjoy this game, or it’s going to show them a side of gaming that they never knew they enjoyed. It’s why I always recommend people to play the demo first and see whether they enjoy the combat. If they don’t, then I recommend them other games.

So if you have any people who you think might enjoy the game, just have them play the demo or show them one of the lets plays. See if they like it. I know the feeling of wanting to make a game enjoyable for someone who can’t deal with the difficulty, but I also know that they wouldn’t understand what makes the game special if I just gave them a watered-down version. :)

Participant

Blasphemy!
    I am once for more difficulty and harder more chalenging rules.

Participant

Blasphemy!

Can’t wait for Ironman-Mode, do you? ;)

Participant

Blasphemy!

Can’t wait for Ironman-Mode, do you? 😉

Even the strongest can and will succumb to scumming. In the name of all that is holy, only the Ironman can save us from the evil that is reloading!

Participant

Blasphemy!

Even the strongest can and will succumb to scumming. In the name of all that is holy, only the Ironman can save us from the evil that is reloading!

Amen to that.

Inactive

Blasphemy!

PREACH! we are all weak willed…… *self flagellates like a cultist*

IRONMAN will be thy saviour

:D

Participant

Hey folks. We want this game to be successful, right? So give people more options to play it in ways they find more enjoyable. I can enjoy this game as is, but I can’t recommend this game to my friends. I can’t – it’s just too unforgiving. The easy difficulty setting is a good solution for this but currently the easy difficulty setting does nothing for the difficulty of combat.

I’d recommend one simple addition to easy difficulty: a trait which adds +10 to all defenses and +10 to hit for all brothers. It’s right there in players’ faces so they know they are playing with an unfair advantage, and thus are encouraged to move up to normal difficulty once they are more comfortable with the game. I hope that is a good compromise to you ‘hardcore’ gamers.

Participant

Where do I sign for the cult of ironman??? Give me that papper!

Participant

Personally I don’t really mind easier levels of difficulty.
    What I care is more starting options and possibility to customize your own starting world plus adding some additional custom rules.
    #Adding two more difficulty levels(one below and other above normal) sounds good for me.
    #Adding some additional options that allow to influence map generation like:
    #Populated world(more villages and watchtowers)
    #All I see is plain(less mountains and hills more plains)
    #Too much trees can’t see forest(more forest less anything else)
    Also sounds good to me.
    #Letting people have influence starting party with options like this:
    #You in the army now(start with 3 guys of military background but less cash)
    #Time for redemption(start with 3 people with criminal background)
    Also sounds as nice choice.
    #Adding some custom rules for global map like this:
    #People militia(better armed militia)
    #No need for trash(selling items give you only 1/4 current price)
    #Costly armours(armours cost 2 times more)
    #Costly repair(1 Tools&Supplies unit repair only 5 durability points)
    Sounds great for me(I like some additional challenge).

More customisation(that have some effect on gameplay) is good for replayability of game.

PS.
    All praise the mighty IRONMEN mode.
    PS2.
    Wonder if we get a Iron Maiden mode for extra difficulty.

Participant

There might be a licensing problem with the iron maiden mode since obviously the music would have to be iron maiden aswell.

Participant

I’m scum and proud!

Participant

I am not so strong for ironman. Mostly because I remember a mess that was X-COM and bugs that could break your run. I kept manual saves only to reload if said bugs happened, so I have some practice with the so-called “soft ironman” mode.

Participant

Hey folks. We want this game to be successful, right? So give people more options to play it in ways they find more enjoyable.

Pandering to as many people as possible is one way for a game to succeed, and be like every other strategy game out there.

Another way is to make something so engaging and unique that “casual” players will want to give it a chance and discover they actually like being challenged by a game, and having an experience that they’ll remember and talk about a month later, instead of another throwaway time-waster.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.